Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 16:10

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: trapping in deep snow
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012, 20:30 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Ive ran a line of about 20 traps ranging in size from mb 750, bridger #5, and Bridger #9. all for wolves, mostly pee posts some blind sets in snowmoblie tracks.we had a foot or better fall last night. each trap was covered in a produce bag then placed with a thin layer of snow over top. looking for some advice,or different thins to try.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012, 20:58 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I started trapping when I was a kid, and I have never had a trap set in the snow....LOL Sorry can't help ya. Move to Texas, that will solve your snow problems.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012, 21:15 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

texranger wrote:
Ive ran a line of about 20 traps ranging in size from mb 750, bridger #5, and Bridger #9. all for wolves, mostly pee posts some blind sets in snowmoblie tracks.we had a foot or better fall last night. each trap was covered in a produce bag then placed with a thin layer of snow over top. looking for some advice,or different thins to try.

when using leg holds in snow country that can be expected. Did that for many years. Always had to redo my sets after a heavy snow fall. Some times i would connect before the next big dump. Its a pain doing it that way but one has to do what one has to.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012, 22:40 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

thanks wolf, ill reset tomorrow,ill see how each trap sets off in deep snow

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012, 00:24 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

You catch something in that #9 its going to be hell to pay for all of us.

http://missoulian.com/news/state-and-re ... 963f4.html

Beaver--2
Muskrat-0
Squirrel-6
Fox------2
Coon----1

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012, 07:36 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Not if it's a wolf :?

Texranger, good luck in the wolf trapping venture. Using larger traps is no different than using any other traps. Just use your head on where you set them.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012, 12:11 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

cat-man-jr wrote:
Not if it's a wolf :?

Texranger, good luck in the wolf trapping venture. Using larger traps is no different than using any other traps. Just use your head on where you set them.

That is a soft catch. And it will break a leg. Catch a smaller wolf in cold weather all you find is a foot.

Beaver--2
Muskrat-0
Squirrel-6
Fox------2
Coon----1

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012, 12:18 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I only own 1 #9 brawn, but I own a hand full of others that are stronger than the #9 anf have never found a foot in my traps,ever. If they fired they had a wolf. One of the trappers I know runs 3 doz #9 and he has never brock a leg iether, betwean damage controle work and fur he took over 30 last year alone. Also in Alaska they use tones of #9 and I have never herd of this happening.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012, 12:54 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

fuzz269 wrote:
I only own 1 #9 brawn, but I own a hand full of others that are stronger than the #9 anf have never found a foot in my traps,ever. If they fired they had a wolf. One of the trappers I know runs 3 doz #9 and he has never brock a leg iether, betwean damage controle work and fur he took over 30 last year alone. Also in Alaska they use tones of #9 and I have never herd of this happening.

That was more or less a direct quote from the FWP trapper I talked to. He has trapped a few hundred wolves anywhere from ID to AK. He specifically quit using that trap because of that problem.
When collaring wolves they are run on a 24 hour or less check. IN the certification course they made a very specific point that we dont need or want these traps in MT. Given the political climate we have right now. If anybody gets a dog in one it will be one of the final nails in our coffin. People in this state dont realize just how close we are to losing our trapping. If they fully inforced the laws we have now we will have some very serious problems. We have skiiers everywhere and over half of them are dragging dogs around with them that are not on a leash.
As I have said before this whole wolf season is specifically set up to screw the trappers over. What better way than to turn a bunch of people loose who have never set a trap before. With huge traps. Having taken a course taught by people who think you are supposed to hop around on the trap springs to set it. And opening it right when everybody and their dog is out cutting christmas trees,
enjoying the new powder and two weeks later enjoying their new skiis and snowshoes. Also at the hight of cat season when you have hundreds of hounds out running bobcats.

Beaver--2
Muskrat-0
Squirrel-6
Fox------2
Coon----1

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012, 19:50 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

checked line today reset, lots of snow up high 20" have a new trail for them though. supposed to snow tonight about 6" wolves are a couple of miles away hopefully they find drag trail.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012, 12:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I wouldnt set my #9 any were close to were I was afraid people were going to be, just out of fear of loosin a $125. trap. Most of the places I trap for wolfs dogs arnt a problem, but I have had coyotes get caught in mb750's and one of my BC wolf traps that are the original disine that the #9 is made after (BC trap has way stronger springs thow) and there was no problems with brocken bones, both were solid ancored with atleast 3 swivels and there was nothing around the trap site for them to tangle up in witch will cause more bone problems than anything else IMHO. The bigger traps with stronger springs do give you a huge advantage when trappin in snow, they will fire, and come threw alot of snow and still make a good catch were smaller weeker traps will miss or often not even fire under the snow. So I cant tell ya what to do Texranger, but think things threw first, waigh the pros and cons, and no matter what you diced I hope you wack a truck load of wolfs.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2012, 11:07 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Fuzz- Well, I'm not trapping timber howlers but I do want your opinon (and anyone else's) about snow trapping. First of all Fuzz, I'm glad you're still around to do some posting. Just wondering how the treatments are going?? Because I used to work with that chemo stuff and had several people go through the process, I know what a slap-down chemo can be. My mom was on maintainace chemo for a good number of years and she'd have a couple of rough days after and be sort of recovered after a week (so a week out of every month). But then again, she was in her 70s with not a lot to do around the house, defineately not as busy as a younger guy. The blood transfusions wre always a drag because it would took so long to infuse a pint or so. So Fuzz, I'm thinking about you man and keep you in our prayers.

I have chance to trap a couple of places over the coming week or so. We got about 4+ inches of snow last week but then had high winds so in exposed areas, the snow is pretty "pitted" and now harder than when it came down. The ground I'll be trapping is on the edges of where trails are coming out of CRP grass, sign around hay fields, and probably the drifted fence line edges of a crop field.

I'm wondering if I should go the produce bag route (should the bag be bunched up a bit under the trap against the snow but not tied off with a little wire twistee??). Should the bag be real tight across the top of the trap or just enough so large amounts of snow don't get down between the jaws ontop of the pan?? Or should I go the peat moss route and have more of the dug up look or perhaps a little snow across the top of the peat moss?? Night temps this coming week will be in the single digits above and below zero F.

Thanks all for your thoughts!!!

Genesis 1:26