Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 16 Oct 2017, 19:19

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 26 Dec 2012, 16:53 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Hope you all have a great time and lots of luck.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2012, 21:07 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Pick a good spot for the tent and you should have a great time. I often use Coleman lanterns on a "tree" off my 10gal propane tank. Two lanterns will burn for a very long time. I am looking forward to the details of this adventure!

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2012, 21:36 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Them nine days will go by in about nine days. :lol: Have a great time. :D

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2012, 00:16 
Trapper
Trapper

Cant wait to c the pics hope its lots of fun for u.

Me 1-Coyote \ The Boys 5
Me 4-Gray Fox \ The Boys 6
Me 0-Martin \ The Boys 0
Me 0-Mink \ The Boys 2
Me 3-Muskrat \ The Boys 5
Me 18-Nutria \ The Boys 14
Me 3-Opossum & 20 released \ The Boys 0
Me 3-Otter \ The Boys 3
Me 15-Raccoon And 2 off the blacktop \ The Boys 5
Me 0-Red Fox \ The Boys 0
Me 5-Stinker \ The Boys 3

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2012, 11:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Jase, where are you getting your tonquin?
Is it a synthetic version?

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2013, 16:32 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

you two are going to work up a nine day stink for sure.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2013, 18:35 

You will have a blast. After a couple days you'll get your routine down, bodies will adjust to the work and sleep schedule, and you will have a week of good times! I have spent a few 10 day trips in the bwca and on steelhead trips and they always are a great time.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 18:48 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

We got back from our week of trapping and hunting today and got most everything unloaded and put up before we took a shower and set down in our easy chairs. We had a great time, and I will be posting over the next nine days the adventures of our trip.

12/28/12 Day one
Here we are loaded up and ready to head out.
We go got the lease around 1:00pm this afternoon and got our camp set up. We set up the tent under whats left of the shed to help protect us from the weather.
After setting up camp set up we were able to get out 11 coil spring traps, 3 DP’s and 7 snares. It got dark on us before we could finish setting out our traps, so we headed in. We made a fire and a big pot of deer chili, set around the fire, and enjoyed ourselves.
Boots around the fire.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 19:33 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Looks like a rustic yet inviting campsite. I am looking forward to the entire story of the adventure.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 21:01 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I think that's the same 4-wheeler that my bro bought this summer although he has a lot less to use it on than what appears you all have!! Looking forward to more pics!!

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 21:02 

Oh man I do like the boots around the fire pic. :D That looks like a very run down neighborhood you were leaving too. :roll: You got my attention for the duration.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 22:41 

nice first day :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 00:02 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Oh boy, I'll make sure I am stocked up on popcorn. This is going to be good.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 15:26 

That shot of the boots around a campfire reminded me of those drawings of cowboys sitting around a camfire during the cattle drives. I'm glad you had a great time!

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 17:11 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

12/29/12 Day two
We got up early this morning to check our traps because we were both kind of excited about our chances. We checked the first six sets, and had nothing; our spirits were beginning to drop, but we still had optimism. As we rounded the corner to the set where we caught our two bob cats last year we could see something dancing in the dark. We both started naming off names of what we thought it was; bobcat, no, coyote, no, by then we were close enough to see it was a fox, Shannon had caught her first ever fox; a male gray fox. We used the catch pole to remove him from the set, and Shannon dispatched him. She was so excited, and I was so proud of her.

Here she is trying to get him on the catch pole.

The next set was empty, and then I caught the prize of the day; a small grinner, hahaha, which we turned loose.

We went back to camp and she cooked some homemade deer sausage and eggs for breakfast burritos topped with jalapeno cheese and homemade hot sauce. I got the percolator going and made preparations to skin the fox. I think it's kind of odd, the first night I set traps this year I caught my first gray, and the first night Shannon set traps this year she caught her first gray. Pretty cool.

Shannon starting on skinning the fox.

Almost done.

Finished, and a job well done.

This afternoon we finished setting out our traps and some more snares, and remade the sets that had been disturbed. While on our rounds we passed by one of our snares and noticed movement, we stopped and discovered we had caught our first ever coyote in a snare; a small female. She was still alive and not tangled up in the undergrowth. I did not have anything with me to dispatch her except the hammer used to drive trap stakes. I did not want to have to drive all the way back to camp to get a gun, so decided to go for it with the hammer. I walked in and looked the situation over. She was backed up as far as the snare would let her go meaning she had an 8’ diameter circle with very few obstacles between me and her, I was going to have to walk in well within her reach. I thought, if she attacks will she go for the family jewels, the throat, or just whatever she can bite? If she did attack, I did not have many options. Going latterly was not going to work well because of the undergrowth. Lunging toward her did not sound to smart, and like most 46 year old out of shape humans, I can’t run backwards very well, or very fast. I raised the hammer, and walked in, she lunged, I swung, (probably closed my eyes first), I felt the hammer connect, I stunned her pretty good, so I quickly dropped one knee on her rib cage with all my weight to stop her heart and lungs. I held her head down with one hand, and in a matter minutes it was over, my first snared coyote.

After that we dove hunted for a while to give Ranger some practice, and exercise. He is doing much better on his finding of the downed birds. We only managed to kill 5, but we had a good time. Back to camp for dinner, skin the coyote, and some relaxation.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 18:21 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Sounds like a great start wannab, I am enjoying this expedition in northeast TX. I suppose you are going to update us with the hides being fleshed and boarded in the wild???

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 18:24 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Great job ! Can't wait to hear the "rest of the story " .

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 18:37 

Hot dang two firsts on the first full day :D . Kinda/sorta appears you two were having more fun than the govt would deem legal :shock: . I notice you carry a handy weight along too, just like all us experienced trappers :roll: . I bet Jase will be using that plan now. :lol:

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 19:29 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Congrats on the catches! Looks like a very fun time, can't wait to read the rest of the adventure.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 19:35 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice work on the firsts! Look pretty bundled up....is it thirty below down there or what?

BAIT? URINE? LURE? DON'T NEED IT WHEN I'M USING MB'S!

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 19:49 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Swamp Rat wrote:
Sounds like a great start wannab, I am enjoying this expedition in northeast TX. I suppose you are going to update us with the hides being fleshed and boarded in the wild???

??never know

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 19:53 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

jase wrote:
I definitely took note of it! Heck I've been just making Russ pull his guts out on skinning! Maybe that is why he wanted me to see the weight idea? :roll: :lol: Not really, but I did see it and was wondering why in heck I had never seen that one before. Funny thing is, I have a dumbbell exactly like yours Mark! I DO think I found a better use for it than an emergency drowning weight for coons, and it ain't as an exerciser or muscle builder! lol!

Great post Mark and Shannon! Love the first fox thing and that you both did it on your first days.....just awesome! Great story on the coyote too,,,,,Mark, you got some pretty big balls going in there like that! A hammer????? Next thing is, you will be fleshing with a hatchet! Are ALL you Texas guys retired mountain men? :lol:

Can't wait for the next post!

Congrats you two!

LOL, my wife says I have big balls, and no brains?!? :--o

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 19:58 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

jase wrote:
I definitely took note of it! Heck I've been just making Russ pull his guts out on skinning! Maybe that is why he wanted me to see the weight idea? :roll: :lol: Not really, but I did see it and was wondering why in heck I had never seen that one before. Funny thing is, I have a dumbbell exactly like yours Mark! I DO think I found a better use for it than an emergency drowning weight for coons, and it ain't as an exerciser or muscle builder! lol!

Great post Mark and Shannon! Love the first fox thing and that you both did it on your first days.....just awesome! Great story on the coyote too,,,,,Mark, you got some pretty big balls going in there like that! A hammer????? Next thing is, you will be fleshing with a hatchet! Are ALL you Texas guys retired mountain men? :lol:

Can't wait for the next post!

Congrats you two!

I won't skin anything with out "the weight" you will be surprised how much it helps out. It's kind of a pain in the butt if your skinning gambrel is not tall enough to allow for the length of the hide. You have to stop and move the rope up on the hide several times.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 19:59 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

HappyTrapper wrote:
Nice work on the firsts! Look pretty bundled up....is it thirty below down there or what?

It was thirty something!

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 20:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

wannab wrote:
HappyTrapper wrote:

It was thirty something!

Better to be too warm than too cold! Hope you two have more good luck on your line!

BAIT? URINE? LURE? DON'T NEED IT WHEN I'M USING MB'S!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next