Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 16 Oct 2017, 21:09

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2013, 21:15 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Ok, here it is, after 10 hours of skinning, fleshing, and boarding, my first ever put up beaver. Why would anyone purposely try to catch one of these things?

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2013, 21:29 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

looks great to me. good job and congrats ...

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2013, 22:18 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

:lol: :lol: :lol: I wonder the same thing every time I go after a beaver! :shock:

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2013, 22:34 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Like anything else, the more you do it; the better you'll get at it. I caught right around 20 beaver last year and fleshed them with a piece of junk $20 fleshing knife. It was pretty brutal! Once I got the hang of it, it went a little faster. This year I bought myself a high end fleshing knife (A Sheffield). That knife is unbelievable!!! It's almost fun to flesh them now.

That beaver looks pretty good. The first few I did, had a few too many leg holes. They looked like I trapped them near Chernobyl or something. A Russian fur buyer must have bought them. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2013, 22:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Well wannab after 10 hours you have put up a very impressive hide for your first one. Those xxl are more harder to do. My first beaver put up came no where even close to that.Glad you stuck it out, i mean 10 hours is a long time to keep going at it. Shows you have character. You have something to be proud of. Like sniper said the more you do the quicker it will be. The next one should not be as long.So where did you find that you spent your most time on, skinning, fleshing or boarding?

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2013, 11:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Mark- yeah, but it looks good!!!!

Its been a long time since I boarded a beav and probably would still need some re-education. One year around 1990, I had two chisel teeth about 60 inches each. One I snared around here and other I had shot with a center fire while deer hunting out west. I didn't know much about finishing a beav except making it oval.

Anyway, I had a cheap fleshing blade which I couldn't get all of the grisle and fat off with, and the skins "freeze dried" outside on the boards over the winter. Towards spring, a country buyer (one of those guys that never said anything good about a guy's efforts or offered advice--I went on to another guy next time I trapped who at least smiled and gave you a can of pop while lowballing a guy). Anyway, old unsmiley face gave me $6 for one and $4 for the other. I'm sure I made less than a dollar an hour for my efforts. Life is learning lessons!!

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2013, 12:52 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

wolf1199 wrote:
Well wannab after 10 hours you have put up a very impressive hide for your first one. Those xxl are more harder to do. My first beaver put up came no where even close to that.Glad you stuck it out, i mean 10 hours is a long time to keep going at it. Shows you have character. You have something to be proud of. Like sniper said the more you do the quicker it will be. The next one should not be as long.So where did you find that you spent your most time on, skinning, fleshing or boarding?

Wolf, 10 hours is a big exaggeration, however it felt that long! It took me about 45 minutes to skin it. I was going to try and clean skin it, but I CAN NOT keep a knife sharp enough to skin anything. I don’t know what is going on with my knifes. I can get them very sharp, then after a few cuts they are dull. I finally got my fleshing knife sharp enough to cut something but I am very slow with it. I have a very hard time telling my brain to slice across a hide. The fleshing took about an hour and a half, and the boarding took about 45 minutes, so all in all it took somewhere around 3 to 4 hours from start to finish. That’s a lot of work and time for $10.00

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2013, 17:01 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Good looking fur :) They are a job to put up to say the least.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2013, 14:06 
Trapper
Trapper

Looks good and ull get faster pk @ the start of season was taking a long time and putting most of the beaver in the frezzer but now he's busting them out the fleshing takes him the longest. Look up The beaver skinner on you tube it will be from the klamath falls oregon fur sale in 2010 I saw him do the demo he does a beaver start to finish in 15 to 20 minuts thats skined fleshed and boarded I picked up a few things watching im slow but it did help to watch it.

Me 1-Coyote \ The Boys 5
Me 4-Gray Fox \ The Boys 6
Me 0-Martin \ The Boys 0
Me 0-Mink \ The Boys 2
Me 3-Muskrat \ The Boys 5
Me 18-Nutria \ The Boys 14
Me 3-Opossum & 20 released \ The Boys 0
Me 3-Otter \ The Boys 3
Me 15-Raccoon And 2 off the blacktop \ The Boys 5
Me 0-Red Fox \ The Boys 0
Me 5-Stinker \ The Boys 3

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6