Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 11:10

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012, 20:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I am going to get after some beavers here as soon as I can find some and wanted some of your favorite open water sets. The ice may be coming off the lakes soon and I have a spot on a river I can trap but I have only trapped beaver under the ice so far. I am going to order either 330's or 750's and was curious what you guys think is more effective??? I am kind of repeating what I said in a previous thread but I didn't really get to the point. I guess I was basically wanting to know if you prefer leg holds or body grippers. Get as specific with any suggestions as you can and don't be afraid to add supplies I might need to order along with the traps. Thanks guys!

BAIT? URINE? LURE? DON'T NEED IT WHEN I'M USING MB'S!

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012, 21:52 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

If it is during the part of the season where we can trap anything, I wouldn't be afraid to use either. I don't know how the seasons work where you are, but here beaver trapping season extends on past the regular trapping season. With it being so, I personally am a little leery of using leg holds, as inevitably we would be hitting coons like crazy here. So as far as that goes I prefer the coni's.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012, 21:55 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Excellent point. Beaver season does go longer than coon season, but if I got the traps out quick, I have until the 15th for coon. Still the majority of beaver season everything else is closed.

BAIT? URINE? LURE? DON'T NEED IT WHEN I'M USING MB'S!

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 00:32 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I like castor mound sets with 330 conis. I have caught them in leg hold drowner rigs, but I agree with cat man jr about non targets. Plus I can set a 330 faster than a drowner and not have to carry as much equiptment in. I have caught belly fur in foot holds and had near catches. If a foot hold is a rifle, the 330 is a shotgun. Just get it pretty close and something is gonna happen. I am super carefull/picky setting foot holds for coyotes, but I really like the open water beaver trapping because I can kinda relax and not be so picky. The best is to set the traps where the beaver is traveling in a trough or over the dam. Just be sure to check all local regulations as all seem to be diffrent. Good luck

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 09:00 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

erik_caught_it wrote:
If a foot hold is a rifle, the 330 is a shotgun. Just get it pretty close and something is gonna happen.

Great quote Erik, I like that one. :wink:

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2012, 00:47 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I am new, but will stay away from body grippers now, (until the 15th) because otter is closed.
Even foothold drowners are scary.
Many of mine are snares, at mounds hoping for less otter traffic, thinking the otter should go on thru.
Any other precautions a trapper should think about?

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2012, 11:52 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

erik_caught_it wrote:
I like castor mound sets with 330 conis. I have caught them in leg hold drowner rigs, but I agree with cat man jr about non targets. Plus I can set a 330 faster than a drowner and not have to carry as much equiptment in. I have caught belly fur in foot holds and had near catches. If a foot hold is a rifle, the 330 is a shotgun. Just get it pretty close and something is gonna happen. I am super carefull/picky setting foot holds for coyotes, but I really like the open water beaver trapping because I can kinda relax and not be so picky. The best is to set the traps where the beaver is traveling in a trough or over the dam. Just be sure to check all local regulations as all seem to be diffrent. Good luck

well said ! that's as good as it gets