Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 17:47

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Back from Europe
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2012, 13:42 
Trapper
Trapper

Just returned from a trade show in Europe. Lots going on in the hunting and trapping trends in the EU.

One of the more postive signs I saw was more people were wearing fur this year than last. Lots of coyote trimmed jackets. A lot of mink on the women, Fair amount of fox trim and jackets. I saw one absolutly gorgeous lynx jacket on a woman. Very little coon, some muskrat in hats and trim and shawls. Sorry to say I saw only one coon trimmed jacket and only one full length coon jacket. Still not popular.

Europe is having invasive specie problems. Sweden is dealing with a raccoon dog imported from China for a "ranch fur venture" that went bust and the herd was released. They look like our Raccoon but they behave like foxes. Sweden has baned the use of leg holds but have lifted the restrictions for Goverment trappers for use on these "coon dogs". A friend of mine in Sweden is the head of this department so we had a good meeting on methods and such.

Estonia has a very lucrative marten trapping industry. I was very interested in their methods and some of the lures they use. I can not wait to try them next season. I will share the info with those that email me as it could be considered advertising and I do not want to do something I am not suppose to on here.

The Danes have a huge beaver problem! Again leg hold trap ban and lack of fur buyers keeps people from pursueing them.

The Swedes have a the coon dog and an over abundance of beaver. No fur buyers. These could be a lucrative market for all parties involved both a buyer and the local trappers. Plus they shoot a pile of fox over there. These guys are good shots and should fox remain high there is a market for their fur.

Of all the meetings I had the most interesting was with the Isralies! I met with the Isralie Predator Control Unit. They are very interested in the leg hold trap and sets to catch canines. They have a wolf which is about the size of our Northeast Coyote and the Jackle which is smaller than a coyote but bigger than a fox. I gave them some calls to use including our jackel call. They will be emailing me with questions and I hope pictures as well.

Bulgaria has a huge jackel problem but they are using calling as a method and it seems to be working for them. They are considereing trapping but were soliciting information on the animal's well being while held in a trap.

Germany has a huge raccoon problem. They are looking for calls and lures so they can hunt them. Again leg hold trap ban!

Very interesting meetings and lots of business potential.

Post subject: Re: Back from Europe
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2012, 14:39 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Very interesting report MM, if you don't mind saying, what sort of employment takes you to such meetings?

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2012, 18:24 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Swamp Rat wrote:
Very interesting report MM, if you don't mind saying, what sort of employment takes you to such meetings?

Swamp, I would guess he is undercover CIA or possibly a merc. " Israeli Predator Control Unit " .......... excellent cover !!!!! 8) 8) 8)
Then again, he may actually be a ............ trap/call salesman !!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

No, too obvious. He's CIA for sure. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All joking aside, it is interesting that the countries that have leghold bans have such huge problems with over-population. Think the antis over here could possibly learn from that ? No, I guess not......what was I thinking ? :roll: :roll:

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2012, 20:14 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Interesting read MM. But i wonder if those countries that have banned the leg hold have went to body grip traps or do they even care. I have seen some rude looking traps that are being used over there and just wonder if they would pass the strict kill time that we have in place in Canada thanks to them. Maybe we should just sit back and let them all get over run with critters till they beg for help then maybe we can dictate our terms and rules.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2012, 21:35 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Very interesting. Glad you had a good trip.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2012, 06:36 
Trapper
Trapper

Glad everyone likes the report.

I am a Research and Developer for a game call and scent company based out of Quebec. Plus we have our own lable for calls, decoys, and lures venturing into areas that the other company does not get into.

The EU has very strict guidelines for traps as Canada does. I forget the name of the pact that was writen. Belises are one of the few conibears that are allowed all across the EU. Some of the countries have a slightly modified plan but it is basically the same all through Europe.

It is neat to talk to other trappers. I gave out this web site to the Isralies to get info. So don't be surprised to see some of them posting looking for answers. They were great guys. Just part of a big family.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2012, 18:26 

That was a very interesting read MM, thanks for sharing. I've got to say also, you have a great job!

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2012, 18:37 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Very interesting. Let them get overrun then beg for us to come over to trap them lol

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2012, 20:12 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

MuskieMoose - in Estonia are they using dead falls for trapping martin or legholds/bodygrippers?

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2012, 06:44 
Trapper
Trapper

They are using body grip traps for marten. They use a box as we do. They can set on the ground as well as in trees. The 120 size is their preferred size. They do have to use Belises (sp?)

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2012, 20:25 

great post MM...looking forward to more overseas visitors!