Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 13:44

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More Otter Questions
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2012, 23:27 
Trapper
Trapper

I have been trying to trap an otter in WV this year. After going home for the holidays, I will be back out setting this week. I have found real fresh sign that I plan on setting again. They did not pass through during my last sets.

There is a small pond located about 15 yards off of a feeder stream to a large lake. The otters have a trail from the stream to the pond with a large toilet right next to the pond. There is a 8 inch dropoff into the bank of the pond that I was setting a foothold at. The stream side of the trail is not deep and slightly funneled by rocks. After reading the other post on otter, I feel I was doing right by placing a 330 on the trail half covered by water and upside down so the wires did not show. Will the otter notice the 330 sticking out of the water and avoid it like a beaver or just go around the rocks and up the trail? Would a foothold be a better solution?

I have noticed coyote and bobcat sign close to the stream and breast of the pond. Will coyote or bobcat urine cause an otter to shy from the area if I place a set close (about 30 feet) from the otter trail?

Thanks for all the help and hopfully this is the week!

Post subject: Re: More Otter Questions
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2012, 22:11 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

I'm no otter trapper Zeek, but there are some guys on here who trap otter. I'm sure someone will help you out.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2012, 23:14 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Zeek wrote:
I have been trying to trap an otter in WV this year. After going home for the holidays, I will be back out setting this week. I have found real fresh sign that I plan on setting again. They did not pass through during my last sets.

There is a small pond located about 15 yards off of a feeder stream to a large lake. The otters have a trail from the stream to the pond with a large toilet right next to the pond. There is a 8 inch dropoff into the bank of the pond that I was setting a foothold at. The stream side of the trail is not deep and slightly funneled by rocks. After reading the other post on otter, I feel I was doing right by placing a 330 on the trail half covered by water and upside down so the wires did not show. Will the otter notice the 330 sticking out of the water and avoid it like a beaver or just go around the rocks and up the trail? Would a foothold be a better solution?

I have noticed coyote and bobcat sign close to the stream and breast of the pond. Will coyote or bobcat urine cause an otter to shy from the area if I place a set close (about 30 feet) from the otter trail?

Thanks for all the help and hopfully this is the week!

You should be ok with that 330 set, some times it takes awhile for them to return. Just be patient. Your leg hold set in 8 inches of water might be to deep for your trap to connect.Try and get it more to 4 inches under the water. Otter do not have long legs and they will be over your trap with out touching it.If you have any more spots where you think they are crossing set them up as well, the more the better.If you are going to set a leg hold make sure you have enough water to drown them. Would be nice if we had a few pics to look at so we could see more clearly to better help you out.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2012, 06:49 
Trapper
Trapper

I will try to get some pictures when I get the chance. Right now there is a few inches of snow which makes it a little difficult.

Wolf, sorry about the bad explanation. There is an 8 inch dropoff on the bank that is still dry and about 2 feet from the water. They have a slide going straight down over this small steep part. The bank then gradually goes into the water. I was thinking of blending in a trap well there on land and running my cable into the water to drown them. The slide they run from the stream to the pond seems to split after the bank dropoff and they go into the pond at multiple locations. Hope this description helps.

Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2012, 19:54 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Just caught my first yesterday, so I don't really think I'd have any tips to help you much. The only tip I can really give you is to be patient. All the research I've done, and the sucessful otter trappers that I talk to tell me the same thing. Everyone says that they take anywhere from a few days to a month sometimes to return to an area. The spot where I caught mine is'nt far at all (100-500yds.) from a large river so I wonder if they are hitting theses ponds/swamps more frequent than usuall? Good luck with your otter, I'm sure he'll be along soon.