Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 03:49

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dirt hole set question.
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2011, 18:08 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

hello, fellas. i have a question i have set 6 dirt hole set's yesterday and never had any luck yet. but, weather is getting better this week. does these dirt hole set look ok to you all or am i doing something wrong. oops have to look at the board on how to attack pictures. sorry

Last edited by bronco2 on 12 Dec 2011, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2011, 19:25 
Trapper
Trapper

Just upload to Photobucket and it'll have a thing on each pic that says links, one will be img, just copy paste that link on here.

Grinners: 4
Coyotes: 2
Coons: 2
Grey fox: 3
cross fox:1

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2011, 21:39 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I don't know what it is that you are using a dirt hole for, but for most animals, it takes time for the animal to come across them. Animals don't come marching down the same piece of property every night like robots. They run different pieces of ground, or they may not run at all, either way it takes time. Just make the sets to the best of your ability and have patience :wink: Just a couple days ago we caught a pair of 'yotes that took a week from the time we set the traps to get caught.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2011, 22:10 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Exactly what Catman jr said! Good adivce CMJ!

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2011, 22:38 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

ok, thanks for the info. its just i am so, excited to wake up and go and see if i have anything waiting on me. i am trapping mostly yotes and foxes and cats. would love to catch a cat. thanks guys

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 06:31 
PROFESSIONAL (MOUSE) TRAPPER

Your gray fox will easily work a dirt hole next to a tree. Reds not so much. They will but not as much as grays. In my opinion, you won't get many yotes to work a dirt hole at backing they can't see over easily. For them, try using a more open area with a backing no bigger than a football. It's doesn't take much, a clump of grass or small rock will do. That having been said, my friend has caught yotes in thick junipers before but I think it was the exception rather than the rule. Your chances of success with reds and yotes will increase with more open sets with smaller backing. One more bit of advice, get the trap right up next to the hole. Too easy for fox to miss the pan too far back. Yote sets can have the traps about 6 inches back, if you are only targeting them. Up close will catch both fox and yotes.

It has been very slow here in Maine this year. Like the guys have said, have patience.

2013/14
red fox 3
gray fox 2
coon 3
muskrat 25
mink 1

Hunting
130 lb 4pt buck - Mathews Z7, Grim Reaper 100 gr. at 6 yards.
17 lb tom turkey - Remington Express 20 ga #4 at 10 yards.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 09:13 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

ok, thanks nelson. that is some good info. i am getting ready to go check my sets. thanks again denny

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 09:25 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Good luck! Hope you got something :mrgreen:

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 14:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

no go this time fellas. i did have something dig around one of my traps. and dug the bait out of it. i forgot my camera. so , no picture. thanks denny

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 15:17 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Kind of sounds foxy to me

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 15:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

is that what a fox does cat man? he went to the side of the trap and dug it out. how can i better myself to catch him next time. or will he come back? thanks denny

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 15:55 

In my experience, if a fox gets a tasty snack from your dirt hole, he will be back to get another. Make sure your hole is almost straight down and 8 to 10 inches deep. You want him to have to stay at the set and work at getting out the bait, better your chances to catch him. If I have a digger that keeps side stepping my trap, I put in a 'stinger'. A second trap right where he is working the set so he will get "stung" by it when he comes back. :wink:

2013/14
red fox 3
gray fox 2
coon 3
muskrat 25
mink 1

Hunting
130 lb 4pt buck - Mathews Z7, Grim Reaper 100 gr. at 6 yards.
17 lb tom turkey - Remington Express 20 ga #4 at 10 yards.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 16:01 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

ok, sound good nelson. thanks for that great info. i may try a snare on him tomorrow. and also. nelson i am not digging my hole sets that deep. i mite have to go back and ree-do them. i kinda angle them back and not straight down. may be a problem. thanks again denny

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 09:21 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

bronco2 wrote:
is that what a fox does cat man? he went to the side of the trap and dug it out. how can i better myself to catch him next time. or will he come back? thanks denny

It's been my experience that fox is what will mainly do that, especially in the type of sets you are using. But I have also had coons do it to me, and coyotes will do it too. Based on the pics, it looks like you are in some sparse timber in a few places, so coons are a definite possibility still. By the sounds of it either your trap got contaminated some how, or it wasn't rock solid and when the animal stepped on it, it rocked a little and it dug it up. As long as the trap didn't snap, the animal should come back. To fix this problem there are several things you can do. One is like Nelson said. Another is to change the trap out for a freshly boiled one so it will be relatively scent free, then reset with the new trap. Keep the fresh trap separated from all your lures, preferably in a plastic bag. If you can, wear some type of rubber gloves to make the set, and bait/lure once the trap is completely covered and you are about to leave. This will eliminate the possibility of contamination. If it is a fox, it is helpful to know that they seem like they like to test your patience. A lot of times you will see where they mess around your trap and do little things to the area just to let you know they were there. After a few days of this it gets a little annoying lol. Just keep at 'em.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 13:44 

bronco, before you go bedding another trap, try to use some forcing for that fox. place a stick with a finger sized diameter along both sides of the trap. they should look like an upside down 'V' with the vertex at the hole. use short sticks. the sticks keep him from standing to the side and digging out your hole. if you redig all your holes, remember to clean your trowel, as it will smell like bait. i would leave your holes as is, as long as they are around a 45 degree angle. be patient. your hole should angle out OVER the pan of the trap. if you put your trowel in the hole, the handle ought to angle out over the pan. try tucking some sheep wool in the hole, not too tight, but something for the fox to pull out. then when he finds that it isnt edible, he'll hopefully continue working the set to get the bait out. next time, make your hole a bit smaller diameter. within the dirt pattern use 2 or 3 SMALL rocks (less than an inch across) in a triangle pattern to force his foot to the pan when he steps in the dirt pattern. i like to stick a very small twig (like a pine needle) sticking up alongside the dog, to keep them from stepping on the dog. make sure that your pan is the lowest spot in the dirt pattern, as canines like to step down, not up. these are all good tips and you can use some or all at various sets and see what works and what doesnt work for you in your area. good luck!!

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 14:01 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

ok thanks trapper AL. i will give it a try. thanks again denny

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 15:28 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

TrapperAL here is a picture of my eldest son when he was about 10 with one of three greys he took at a "V" set on a pipeline right of way.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 17:02 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Bronco- If I remember right, Bland is in the Appalachian mountians...if I am correct you need to check out Docs' post in tne archives (Words of Wisdom) :lol: about setting a dirthole. :D

Here is the link..(I can't get images to show, maybe you can):
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=3362

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 17:17 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

LOL. yes i read that post. its not that bad here. its good here and bad other place's. thanks denny