Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 23:09

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trapping Rats
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2007, 16:15 
Trapper
Trapper

Does anyone know how to trap a normal rat? i have one thats living in my shop and is chewing holes in the wall. if you cover the hole he chews a new one about a foot away. I don't know what type of rat it is or how to trap it. anyone have any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2007, 18:35 
Trapper
Trapper

I have been cleaning mice and rats out of my shed for a month or so now. I've done many things, but I'll tell you right now that the ones that work(ed) the best are the regular ol' snap traps that you can buy really cheap. If you think it's a rat, then get a rat-sized one, because it will kill rats and mice both.

If you don't want to buy anything, and use what you have, this is what worked best for me:

Get a small-medium sized board, some peanut butter, and any #1 or #1.5 coil or longspring trap with ZERO pan tension.

Take the board, and lean it up against a wall or something in your shop. (If you can, put it in the corner of the shed, because it narrows and corners your trap, giving a better chance of a catch). Get a nice sized dab of peanut butter and plop it on the face of the board about 8 or 9 inches up, or wherever you think the rat can just reach by stretching out it's body. Put the trap just at the bottom and up against the board. Tie it with some junk wire and collect your rat the next day.

Now if it's just a small mouse, then the trap should act as a bodygrip, and you will have a dead mouse in the morning. If it's big rat, then you will most likely need to dispatch it with a small gun.

Anyway, this is how to make a rat trap out of stuff laying around. I have tried many other things and this is what worked the best. I'll list and show the results of what else I have recently tried.

-Cubby made out of bricks with 110 placed in front and carrots w/ peanut butter in back-Produced nothing, mice ran under triggers and stole bait.
-Baited blind set (a diagonal support beam ran from one side of the shed to the other. I placed a trap on the beam near the bottom, then put peanut butter about 6 inches up from that. Another trap placed about 6 inches up from that. Then more peanut butter, another trap, etc.)-Produced one mouse.
-Carrots dipped in peanut butter on 110 triggers-Produced nothing. Carrots were slipped of easily and tension was to hard to mess with and make right.
-Bucket pit-fall drowner (Take a 5 gal bucket or larger, and fill to about 3/4 with water. Take a skinny board, and run it from the ground to the tip of the bucket. Cut out some cardboard (about as wide as the board, and about 3 or 4 inches long) and tape it to the top of the board. Bend/fold it so it naturally lays flat. Put a glob of peanut butter on the end of the cardboard and you're done. You can also put a smidgen (and I mean a smidgen, you don't want the rat satisfied) of peanut butter near the bottom of the board and going up it to entice it. The mouse/rat follows and climbs the board, looking for its meal, it goes to stand on the cardboard to eat it and plops in and drowns)-Produced one mouse, although I haven't had it out very long, so it can do better, I know.
-Plain ol snap traps-Produced 4 mice and 1 large rat. My favorite choice of all. Bait with peanut butter.

Well, I've probably said way more than I needed to, but there's my rat trapping tip of the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2007, 12:38 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

I have caught lots of wood rats out of peoples sheds by just using a live trap. It works really good. Just use anything that the rat has been eating, cat food, dog food, any scraps of food. Set the trap like you would for anything else. Bingo! You should have you rat really quick. Use a smaller live trap because a big one the rat may be able to get through the holes in the cage.

Post subject: trapping rats
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2007, 23:29 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

yep, the bucket & h2o thing reminds me of my dad, he used to put a cup
of dry dog food in a tall 5gal bucket with a board up the side the dumb mice would bale in for the food & couldn't get back out. In the winter he
would just let them freeze, amazing how fast they expire wihtout the warmth of a nest, in the summer he'd drowned them. it worked great
and was so simple. but for rats I agree with the snap traps I've caught
1 that drug the trap across the shop & behind the freezer, thought the dog got it till I heard him back there the 2nd day after the trap went missing.
so ancor the traps with something.

Post subject: Re: trapping rats
PostPosted: 01 May 2007, 11:46 
Trapper
Trapper

mike foreman wrote:
yep, the bucket & h2o thing reminds me of my dad, he used to put a cup
of dry dog food in a tall 5gal bucket with a board up the side the dumb mice would bale in for the food & couldn't get back out. In the winter he
would just let them freeze, amazing how fast they expire wihtout the warmth of a nest, in the summer he'd drowned them. it worked great
and was so simple. but for rats I agree with the snap traps I've caught
1 that drug the trap across the shop & behind the freezer, thought the dog got it till I heard him back there the 2nd day after the trap went missing.
so ancor the traps with something.

Yeah, I would say some fishing line and a medium to large sized treble hook would work great as a drag in this situation, but if you have large rats or no where for them to get tangled up, I would suggest a window weight :twisted: