Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 07:52

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to Trapping
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2011, 12:29 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

My dad retired this year, so hes going to start trapping after about 25 year break. I've been asking to learn since I was a kid but he never had time to trap with work and all my sports during trapping season. So this we will be going. I dont even know how to set a trap, make a set, or even where to make sets. Any good beginner websites with this info so I can learn some before we go?

Post subject: Re: New to Trapping
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2011, 13:54 

Welcome to the site Coalminer78! First off, I have thank you for being a coalminer, both of my grandfathers worked all of thier lives in the coalmines and I still live in coal country. It's hard work and a hard life.
As far as being a beginner on the trapline ( we've all been there) My best advice would be to start reading trapping books and magazines and watching videos as well as ask for advice on this site. Many trappers on this site have many years of experience and can help you for different furbearers you are looking to trap.
My first question would be, what do you want to trap? Second question would be, what part of the country do you live?
In some cases, many different parts of the country require different methods, also the furbearer you are looking to trap. Don't be shy, ask any question that you have. After all, we all started as a new trapper. :D

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2011, 19:41 
Trapper
Trapper

I did a lot of watching video clips on youtube. Just search coyote trapping or trapping any animal and you will have plenty to watch! I really learned a bunch. If you have a Facebook Page, I also watched a bunch of good clips in "Minnesota Trappers". Has a bunch of the good video clips, pictures of sets, etc. http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Minnes ... 0479202644 Good Luck!!!

2 grey fox
3 coyotes
2 beaver
25 muskrats
4 house cats (released)
2 geese (golf course ADC rat line, released)
1 crow (dont know how that happened)
Fingers 3 times already!!! Not a good start!!

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2011, 21:54 

welcome to wat! sounds like you already have a great teacher lined up Coalminer! i'm gonna guess your dad will teach you alot. trapping can be labor intensive, be ready to hump the heavy loads so dad can go the distance each day...THAT is how you will learn the most. the longer you are trapping with someone who knows how to trap, the quicker you'll learn the important lessons. you wont be able to avoid the walking, getting in and out of vehicle, putting stuff in and out of vehicle...all the little tasks that still wear a guy out after all day on the line. try to hump most of the gear and dig as many of the trap beds as you can and let him scout, pick locations, traps for the situation. let him do the baiting and lure application. in short do all the grunt work, so he can do the brain work, and then just pay attention to everything he does. you'll learn fast! have fun, work hard and remember everyday is like Christmas!

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2011, 22:40 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I live in central IL and will be trapping in Fulton County, IL. We will go after muskrat, beaver, raccoon, and coyote. I was in the Marines so I will carry anything he needs just to learn. Thanks for the help. I will start reading all the post here.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011, 13:27 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

The first three on your list are great to start out with. Not by anymeans saying not to set for Yotes to. But the Rats and beaver are easier and will give you more fur to work with at first. What do you have for traps? And/or areas?

Beaver--2
Muskrat-0
Squirrel-6
Fox------2
Coon----1

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011, 20:40 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Welcome to WAT Coalminer. I think you'll see that your Dad will have no trouble getting back into trapping, just pay attention and use your instincts to make some of the trap placements. Keep us updated on how it goes for Y'all.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011, 21:04 
Welcome to WAT, It is ggod that you and your Dad can get together to trap. Remember, we like pictures of your sets and your catches. Good Luck

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2011, 14:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

coalminer78 wrote:
I live in central IL and will be trapping in Fulton County, IL. We will go after muskrat, beaver, raccoon, and coyote. I was in the Marines so I will carry anything he needs just to learn. Thanks for the help. I will start reading all the post here.

......welcome ..east central ILL. for me..

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2011, 11:27 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

another jarhead! welcome to wat!

life member pta distric #1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
i have trapped in nebraska,michigan,new york,alaska and pa.
us air force retired.