Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 14:05

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New K-9 Trap
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2007, 12:28 
Trapper
Trapper

I was reading my dad's Farm Show magazine last night, and they did a report on a new "springing snare" K-9 trap. The traps looks like a combination of a leg hold and a snare. A different type of bait is used to make the animal actually pull on it instead of getting them to step on something. Once they have the bait in their teeth, a spring flips a snare over their neck and they are caught. I beleive it is called the collerum (sp?). I wish I could find the article and post it here. It was not written by a trapper because there were some "myths" contained in it, but it said the trap has been used on everything from dogs to yotes, to dingos and jackals with no problems. The worst thing about it.........The price. I beleive it was over $70 for ONE trap :(

Has anybody else heard of this or seen one of these?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2007, 18:31 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

We had a demonstration at one of our meetings a couple years ago on a similar trap, maybe the same one. When the K-9 stepped on the pan the snare was thrown straight up in the air by the jaws, with the theory being it would catch the krafty dog up above the elbow, not the neck. This was suppose to be the answer to fast reflexes by the K-9 and thus the jaws missing the foot. The snare would get him by the elbow instead. I did not try one myself, but I don't think it really caught on here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2007, 20:52 
Trapper
Trapper

Having a snare being caught on an animal that far up and still be alive will definatly rip some of the delicate fur apart. i would stick with the regular snare that kills without riping fur or a foothold. they are probly pretty expensive besides. no time to waste that much money on one animal. not worth it in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2007, 21:38 
2 things:

1-- The collar 'um would be illegal in many states due to it's lack of ability to be focussed on wildlife. Because it would spring the snare over as you said, dogs, coyotes, dingos etc. many pets could become entangled and killed. Defiinately not good PR for trappers. Also, chances are the locking mechanism on that setup would cause great damage to the rough and fur.

2-- The belisle foot-snare is a popular snaring method used in many states for everything from coyotes to bear. The nice thing about this snaring method is that if you catch a dog, at least it won't kill it. Now, alternately, you have to make an effort to set where the possibility of human/pet - trap interaction is slim as petowners are not forgiving. Also, when selling coyotes for fur, even if it's up around the elbow or high on the leg, the part of the fur which is graded (the back and rough) isn't compromised.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2007, 08:10 
Trapper
Trapper

They were advertising it as a replacement to footholds because it is supposed to be less stressful to the animal therefore you would easily be able to release a domestic dog or other non-target catches. They claim that most dogs caught in it "just lay down and wait to be released"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2007, 09:01 
HAH! Since when has a dog laid down and waited to be released any time something goes around the neck??

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2007, 09:10 
Trapper
Trapper

Probably at the point of or just before unconsiousness. I do not own, use, or sell the traps, I just relay the info :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2007, 09:38 
roflmao

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2007, 09:56 
Trapper
Trapper

Here is the link to the article.

http://www.farmshow.com/issues/31/02/310207.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2007, 11:25 
70 percent show no serious injury... that means 30 percent areeither really badly hurt or dead. Wouldn't it suck if those 3 out of 10 were someone's pet?

Let's go one step further... It says that it works on dogs foxes coyotes etc. For it to close to a certain point and not dispatch on a dog, it won't close far enough to hold a fox. If it closes far enough to hold a fox, it will dispatch a dog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2007, 11:28 
Trapper
Trapper

I just think you read too far into things bit :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2007, 14:59 
Trapper
Trapper

Maybe its just the pic from the article, but wouldn't it more difficult to try and release anything--be it a house pet or a coyote--from the trap?

Think about it. With a powered foot snare, your hands are at the paws with either a catch pole or the like holding the animal's head away from your fingers. Now, it seems to me that releasing that coyote in the picture means I have to get a wee bit closer to the dangerous end of a pissed off canine...

Maybe it works well, maybe not. I don't own many snares, but that won't be one of them anytime soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2007, 18:50 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Quote:
"The University of Arizona had a dog running loose on campus and hadn't been able to catch it for months," says Huot. "They put out a Collarum, and they had him in the first day."

Quote:
While canine species are notoriously difficult to catch in a cage and traps are dangerous to non-target animals, the Collarum is getting a reputation for success. One Animal Control Officer (ACO) reported setting it 12 times and catching 11 feral dogs.

I'll take 10 dozen! Where do I sign up!?

Seriously though, that contraption doesnt look very beneficial or effective at all. Though if thats all you have at your disposal (legality wise) I suppose you could make it work.

Quote:
In fact, 70 percent of captured coyotes show no significant injuries.

I'll stick with my soft catch's and 99.9% injury free :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2007, 00:25 
Trapper
Trapper

Peoples pets DO NOT need to be running at large anytime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2007, 07:17 
Trapper
Trapper

I agree, pets should not be free roaming, and most places have laws against it.

It's the idea that even if it was legal to set a lethal (or potentially lethal) trap in an area, and someone's free roaming dog is killed, its bad for all of us trappers. I'm not blaming the person who made the set, but you can guess the dog owner and all their friends will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2007, 08:54 
Trapper
Trapper

The idiots letting the animal loose to run without being right there to control the animal are the ones at fault IMO. I`m all for letting my or any dog run in the open on ground I have permission to be on and watching it the whole time.

In the country around here if dogs (owned by people) are running loose they may be tolerated a small amount of time but when any cattle chasing or general mistakes are made by them they are dispatched in a quick manner.

Dumped or feral dogs and cats are for the most part dispatched when they show up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2007, 18:52 
Trapper
Trapper

I agree completely that any dog roaming at large is a risk to people and animals, and that many owners are irresponsible. But I also understand that as a trapper, at least in my state, it is my duty to minimize the risks to pets.

P.S. There are many places and municipalities that I make sets in that have no leash laws...meaning a dog running ahead of its owner by half a mile is perfectly legal. I don't agree with it though.