Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 13:29

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Some of my coyote sets
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2011, 14:12 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

This one is my favorite. I think it turned out really good, it is bedded down in the dirt and covered with grass. The grass wont freeze solid like dirt would. I got this idea from the animalists coyote trapping DVD

This one didnt turn out all that well. I may end up redoing the set. I put the sticks there to encourage the animal to step over them and into the trap. I am using canine force bait in the hole and skunk essence as the lure as its been cold and I need scent to travel far. Any other ideas or suggestions. The snow and cold weather is causing a dry spell.

8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."
Genesis 9:3

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2011, 17:33 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Great looking sets! Make sure you let us know how they produce for you. Good luck!

BAIT? URINE? LURE? DON'T NEED IT WHEN I'M USING MB'S!

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2011, 17:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

the second one looks like a smily face lol

Check out my you tube page!!! alot of the stuff i learned on here i have made video's of them ..... http://www.youtube.com/user/ski31989?feature=mhee

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2011, 18:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

ski3879 wrote:
the second one looks like a smily face lol

Of course it does. It is a new set properly named "the smiley face set" :D

BAIT? URINE? LURE? DON'T NEED IT WHEN I'M USING MB'S!

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2011, 19:33 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

We have bobcats in WV, but I have never seen any sign. There is a coyote that frequents the area once every three to four days. I hope to catch him. I have high hopes with that skunk essence lure.

8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2011, 21:03 
Trapper
Trapper

Is that scat between the sticks and the double holes in your second pic?

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2011, 21:09 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

No, I didnt use any scat with this set, but I did use some coyote urine

8 Raccoons

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2011, 21:50 
Trapper
Trapper

Personally, I would get rid of the two sitcks in a "V" and blend the dirt pattern in with a little finer litter and snow so there isn't much of a transition or pattern edge. The double dirt hole should be enough guiding on its own to if the trap is position between the holes. It looks to busy and contrived to me, and may stop coyotes short of the whole set. Just my thoughts. As jase stated above, it would probably be better on bobcats. These are just my thoughts and alternative ideas.

Not the best rendition, but something like the pic below would be how I might render the set with a little subtle guiding (sticks and a stone/dirt clod) with the trap positioned between the holes.

Last edited by streamer on 25 Feb 2011, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2011, 22:20 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Just my opinion, take it for what its worth (and by the way, its free). When I make a set for a coyote, I use a natural backing. Small tree branch on the ground, small clump of standing grass ....something very natural and weathered looking. Nothing over 4 inches tall. I dont lay anything on or around the trap (leaf, stick, pinecone, anything) that might fire the trap or get in the way when the trap is fired. On all of the 9 catches I have had this year, the only way that a human can see any sign on a trap is the dirt hole. I make them small and deep, like a mouse would. It goes in on a 45 degree angle under the backing, forcing the coyote to come around and look straight in the hole. Make the coyote work and dig at it, as it a mouse was in there. I use my sifter alot to blend in the fresh dirt using dry grass through the sifter to give a light cover. Sifter is good when blending in snow too. I'v had good luck making sets blend in very good with nature. Never caught anything on a set as fabricated as yours. But It may work for you, This is just my experiance that Im sharing. By the way, how do you know that your coyote, and trap were stolen , not a pulled trap by the 'yote. Again just my opinion and good luck on the trap line.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2011, 22:34 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Nice job with the photoshop 8) . I have always liked to make my coyote sets stand out in case he dont smell it, he will see it and come and look. Trap thievery has been a problem for me in the past as I have had a coyote and trap stolen before. Thats what you get when you trap public land. Tommorow when I go out I will fix the second set and make it blend in better. I can trap coon and fox everyday in the fall, but when the snow hits I struggle with the coyotes.

8 Raccoons

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 16:17 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I went and checked that second trap this morning and there were coyote tracks leading up to it with a splash of urine on the trap set. It looks like he walked up, and smelled the coyote urine lure and urinated on it like it was a flat set. I am going to move the trap out away from the hole some more to catch him as he walks by....

8 Raccoons