Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 09:43

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2011, 20:35 
Trapper
Trapper

I've just started on a set of ponds side by side one 3 acres the other 15 they are old catfish ponds . I have located 5 dens built into the levees I have walked the entire shoreline and have not found a single c-mound is this normal ?

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2011, 11:05 
Trapper
Trapper

I went to a friends property yesterday in Southeast Alabama to help him with his beaver problem.
The beavers had burrowed under his man made dam last year so bad that the dam collapsed and drained the pond. This pond is about 4 acres. When the pond drained, the beavers seemed to be gone. He had the dam filled back in a few months ago and the pond refilled from the natural spring.
Now the beavers are back cutting the trees and using the pond.
There are no visible signs of castor mounds anywhere around the pond, just slides along the edges and on the main dam ( not a beaver dam).
I set five 330s and a couple of snares at the slides. Hopefully we will get a few of them.
I can't tell you if there will always be a castor mound or not.
I made a couple of mud pie mounds myself and doctored them up with some poplar and castor scent.
I guess the beaver are not smart enough to know that if they burrow under a man made dam that it will eventually cave in and destroy their sanctuary pond.
Just look for signs of slides and try the homemade castor mound trick. I've learned that it doesn't have to be much of a mound... just a couple of handfuls of clean mud from the pond with a little bit of sign of grass or weed on it.
Good luck to you.
TJ

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2011, 13:00 
Trapper
Trapper

Last nights case #1 at friends pond in Alabama

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2011, 17:19 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks tj 4 the response I sholld have mentioned that I did have 1 c-mound set made already it was there 4 3 nights without a visit I did manage 2 catch 1 coming out of his den-lodge fri night in a 330 I had to pull my traps this afternoon but will reset thurs, my 15 yr old son is having a ball at the ponds catching 6 coons n 2 nights . There are 3 slides going over the levee of the 2 ponds but I think that is mainly otter I set 2 cameras out this afternoon and will hopefully c plenty of action yhe next few nights!!!

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2011, 18:15 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

E.C. try some swim sets with your connies set log on a 90degree from bank and set conni under log fence both sides benifit to this is beaver is trapped under water so as not to alarm other beaver hence multiple catches on same set good luck

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 16:24 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks peace keeper 4 that tip,I like it!