Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 05:33

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tree Beavers???
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2007, 19:54 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

so here's a good question i was out looking into new trapping area's and i happened upon some chewn tree's but when i looked up i found that a beaver had somehow chewed the limbs off the tree 7 feet in the air now keep in mind our area has almost NO snow right now and even when we did nowhere near enough to bend the branch or make a high enough snow bank so can someone please tell me....HOW THE HELL DID THE BEAVER GET UP THE TREE???

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2007, 20:17 
Trapper
Trapper

Redbull....it gives you wings!

Post subject: That's Wild !
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2007, 23:16 
Trapper
Trapper

Man, you've got some tall beavers in your part of the country !!! :shock: That certainly looks like beaver chewins', but is there any possibility that a Porcupine could be responsile for that ? :? Did someone loan those critters a ladder ? :lol:

grinnergitter54

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2007, 01:37 
Hmm... are you sure that the damage done that high up is beavers, ad not perhaps the handiwork of some resident porcupines? It looks like damage on the lower spots due to beavers, and perhaps chewing up higher by some other species? Dunno. I wouldn't say it's impossible, but highly unlikely that it's beaver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2007, 08:38 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Has there been a flood in the area in the last few years? High water levels would explain it. Otherwise I'd say porcupines. Where are you located?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2007, 12:52 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

i'm located in Northern Wi and i didn't even think about porcupines thats a possibility but those are awful big teeth marks for one though

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2007, 15:03 
Not really, no. If you look at a porcupine, many of them can get the size of beavers, and their teeth do just as much damage. That type of chewing behavior is very similar to what they do. They chew around the base, then go up and chew and further and further on maples especially, and the scarred rings and chunks kill the maples and destroy the maple syrup industry. That's why they were hunted so viciously in Vermont. I belive this year Wisconsin is having a TERRIBLE time with porcupines. Wasn't there recently an article published about Wisconsin feeling the brunt of unseasonable weather and porcupine populations on the syrup industry?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2007, 18:40 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

i havn't read that about wi but i have been seeing alot of porcupines this year

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2007, 15:22 
Trapper
Trapper

Your gona need a bigger trap!!!! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2007, 15:34 
You know, reading this thread reminds me of those mailboxes you see... you know the ones that start off normal with general mail, then have one about 6' up that says bills, then one about 14 feet up that says Air Mail, and then one that's 25 feet up that says Taxes.

I see a bucket coni setup that way.... One ground level says beavers, one head level says Martin, one 14 feet up says fisher, one 25 feet up says porcupines. *LOL*