Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 19:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grave Robber, Help!!!
PostPosted: 29 May 2017, 16:03 
Trapper
Trapper

I apologize I have been very busy and have not been on the site for awhile. But while doing some dog training yesterday with my new pup, I stopped by my last dogs grave to say hello. Instantly my heart sank (Long story short, my first dog and my best companion was killed this fall on Oct. 23 while tracking a deer for me) I buried my best friend on his favorite part of my grandparents farm where he and I lived for his short 3 years. Right into his grave some critter decided to dig a nice burrow, 6-8 inches wide by 3-4 inches tall, I am not sure the depth of the burrow, but it is not just a shallow hole. This is in Central WI in sand country and we have skunks, fox, yotes, and the occasional woodchuck. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures, but I will this afternoon when I go back out there. Please help me take care of this problem, I am not OK with any animal digging up my dog's grave. I don't mean to overreact, but Drake was truly the companion of a lifetime for me and I feel its only right I continue to honor him by not allowing something to disturb his remains. Any suggestions on what critter did this and any tips to re-locate him will be greatly appreciated. Since trapping season is closed my options may be limited depending what you guys think it is, but as a landowner there are certain nuisance animals that can be taken care of year round. I will post pictures tonight of the hole and the location. When I saw what happened the first thing I thought of was this forum and the experts on here to help me with my problem. Thanks everyone and I hope your trapping seasons were successful!

PostPosted: 30 May 2017, 19:29 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Here in WV I would suspect woodchuck ( groundhog we call them ) , in which case I would just shoot the thing , as we can kill them anytime.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 31 May 2017, 15:35 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

heres a little story on groundhogs.when I was 14 [which is many many many moons ago]I had a half beagle, half rat terrier .he was our all around dog.ran the trap line with us.killed coons and possums that got into the hen house,treed squirrels,killed snakes and moles in the yard.just a wonderful little dog..well back then they gave a bounty on ground hogs.our county gave 50 cents for the ears as proof of the kill and the neighboring county gave 50 cents for the tails for proof of kill.i had a buddy that lived in the next county over so we figured I would give him the tails and he gave me the ears making a dollar worth for one ground hog.a good way to control the ground hogs and a way for a couple young guys to make enough money to buy ammo.back then a box of 22's were a 25 cents.i called this little dog Grits.when Grits was 4 years old he came up missing .gone ,poof ,never heard or seen again.disappeared right out of the yard.well we had a ground hog den in the holler behind the house that every year a ground hog would move in and clean out the old den..when we had time me or dad would go back and pop off the whistle pig that had moved in for the year..well one year no ground hog moved in ..the next year dad went back and checked the den and a hog had moved in and cleaned out the den..one evening dad went back to the den and in about a half hour later I heard dads old Remington 550 go bang.in 15 min.s dad came to the house with a dead hog..he looked at me and said "boy the mystery of Grits has been solved.out of his pocket he pulled 5 inches of mostly rotted leather collar and a brass name plate on it with the name GRITS and our phone number on it..we figured ol grits got after a hog dug his way in and run out of air before he could dig his way back out.dad said that aint all, out of his other pocket he pulled out two perfect flint arrow heads.after that I always and still to this day when I find a ground hog den I always check the tailings pile at the dens entrance..ive only found one other arrow head at a ground hog den but I still have to look.i still have those arrow heads and the 550 Remington.but i sure wish I still had ol Grits

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2017, 21:41 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Chieftain wrote:
heres a little story on groundhogs.when I was 14 [which is many many many moons ago]I had a half beagle, half rat terrier .he was our all around dog.ran the trap line with us.killed coons and possums that got into the hen house,treed squirrels,killed snakes and moles in the yard.just a wonderful little dog..well back then they gave a bounty on ground hogs.our county gave 50 cents for the ears as proof of the kill and the neighboring county gave 50 cents for the tails for proof of kill.i had a buddy that lived in the next county over so we figured I would give him the tails and he gave me the ears making a dollar worth for one ground hog.a good way to control the ground hogs and a way for a couple young guys to make enough money to buy ammo.back then a box of 22's were a 25 cents.i called this little dog Grits.when Grits was 4 years old he came up missing .gone ,poof ,never heard or seen again.disappeared right out of the yard.well we had a ground hog den in the holler behind the house that every year a ground hog would move in and clean out the old den..when we had time me or dad would go back and pop off the whistle pig that had moved in for the year..well one year no ground hog moved in ..the next year dad went back and checked the den and a hog had moved in and cleaned out the den..one evening dad went back to the den and in about a half hour later I heard dads old Remington 550 go bang.in 15 min.s dad came to the house with a dead hog..he looked at me and said "boy the mystery of Grits has been solved.out of his pocket he pulled 5 inches of mostly rotted leather collar and a brass name plate on it with the name GRITS and our phone number on it..we figured ol grits got after a hog dug his way in and run out of air before he could dig his way back out.dad said that aint all, out of his other pocket he pulled out two perfect flint arrow heads.after that I always and still to this day when I find a ground hog den I always check the tailings pile at the dens entrance..ive only found one other arrow head at a ground hog den but I still have to look.i still have those arrow heads and the 550 Remington.but i sure wish I still had ol Grits

Now that a story that should be in a magazine!

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2017, 20:48 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Great story Chief

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2017, 17:02 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I guess my point to dkhunter was not only are ground hogs grave robbers they are grave diggers too.over the years I've had 100's of dogs. fox dogs. coonhounds.beagles, bird dogs.squirrel dogs .and just some that were mutts, trapline dogs,ect.dogs make for some great stories ..dogs aint my whole life but they do make my life whole..i learned a lot as a young man sitting around a camp fire listening to 20 or 25 hounds putting an old red fox through his paces, drinking whiskeyfied coffee with a bunch of old men whos skin was the color of chewing tobacco juice..i can still see their faces in the light of the camp fire like a band of gypsies they were..you cant find a fox hunter here now within a 100 mile of me.another grand sport that died out around here.