Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 06:05

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6908 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 277  Next
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2010, 22:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

got started on the peaches tonight..first bushel...Image...its 10:30 got a double patch in the jars...Image

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2010, 23:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Good lookin peach's and jelly. In-laws been canning some jelly but we've slowed down with everything else we've got to do right now. Picked 7 gallons of blackberrys the other day and sent them down there for jelly and a cobbler. So far I havent seen any dead deer and havent heard of any but we've got birds dead everywhere. Had a dove dead out back by one of the kids toys that had 1/2" of water in it tonight on the way to sons football practice. Theres 3 or 4 dead birds in the yard every week now. Blue tongue skipped by us about 3 years ago but was bad just north in Cass and Mason counties and south in Greene and Macoupin. There was several areas that had dead deer everywhere and one pond in Greene county had 22 in it in just a few weeks. I dont remember the statistics for last years gunseason but I'd hazard a guess and say the majority of deer arent even called in around here anymore. Boys found some otter sign tonight on the creek theyre camping at. Texted me a picture of a vomit pile and a half eaten muskrat head. Ever heard of that before? Ive long thought they preyed on muskrat and mink but never had sign of it or heard anything in books etc about it. Carp cop said last year they only feed on amphibians and fish(?).

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2010, 09:29 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Where's the cathead biscuits when you need them??? :wink: Nice looking peach jelly you have there Chieftain. But I am not going to act like I don't like blackberry products....I do! Both the jelly and cobbler sounds fine to me.

Hate to learn Y'all are having a deer die off up your way. That is never a good thing.

I can not say if otter dine on muskrats or not, we do not have muskrats in my area. The otter do a fine job on fish...especially rough fish and perch...also crawfish, mussels, and such. At high point landings where there are lots of pine straw they will land and "roll" in the straw and usually leave other sign of their being in the area. In the toilet locations there will be excretions that appear to be vomit and in their droppings you will get a good idea of what they are feeding on.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2010, 10:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Swamp,I' think I'll put some more up this afternoon ,by then it will be too hot to do much else.at least in can be done in the AC...those deer die offs are kinda local, never have had a state wide outbreak ..most times 5 to 12 counties are effected state wide.which aint bad numbers for a state with a 102 counties....otters,I'm pretty sure they have it in for the mink..I used to catch 25 to 35 mink a season on my line on the river..now if you see a mink track on the river you stop an look and marvel at it...noticed the decline 3 years after the otter re induction..I've never seen one take a rat,but I reckon they would ..the rats up here are like the rabbits..they aint got a friend in the world.everybody's out to eat them..last year I had a rat that was still alive when I got there ..I was about 200 yards down stream taking a coon out.a red tailed hawk flew down, killed the rat and had ate the shoulder and neck off before I fired my pistol up in the air to scare it off..but the damage was already done.....the only time I catch a mink or see mink sign is when I'm along way from the river....those are good tips, I'll start looking at the sign more ..if I see otter sign I usually move on ,beings we don't have a season....

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2010, 14:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Our rats and mink numbers are both way down. Theres hardly a pond or lake around with a decent population of rats. On one of the deer leases last year we had a small mink they watched off and on all season along the creek. Except for him/her and the ones we trapped there were only a couple of times we seen mink or mink sign all fall/winter. Hotter then hades out right now. Gonna be cooling down next week they say Chief. Be a good time to pot some bushytails instead of flooring. I think we're doing some fencing next week, inlaws want another feeder calf or two and in the lot we're using the 3 we have are all it needs. Starting to feel like a rancher, lol.

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2010, 15:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

hedge post's and 5 strands of 5 tine goucho wire will hold'em..I helped a guy fence 300 acers of pature 5 or six years ago..I like building fence..you can do it standing up.. :P ...homeowner is going to the lumber yard and raise hell tomorrow..I sure don't want to wait another 4 to six weeks to get done.another 15 to 20 hours I would have been done.they better get it straight before the last week in Sept. ,cause I'm done till after bow season...I'm all for a big cool down....

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2010, 21:34 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

We have a decent count of otter in these parts, what I haven't seen in the past several years is a mink! I am beginning to think the otter may have dealt them a deadly blow, not sure about this.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2010, 23:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

73 here now. Coolest its been in a week anyhow. Got storms coming all night Chief. Rough one headed your way if your up. Several lined up behind it. I built alot of fence years ago but I was younger and skinnier, lol. The heat doesnt sound like alot of fun. I dont envy you and that floor Chief. Only thing I hate more then roofing is flooring, lol. Swamp I dont know why the mink seem to be absent when otter are present but I'd say either from direct competition for prey or the otter actualy prey on the mink?

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2010, 07:52 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

got 2 tenths of rain ..much cooler this morning..

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2010, 20:09 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Just a hair shy of 3/4" rain last night and early this morning. Wasnt too bad until about 10am or so and then it got kinda warm. Would have been a good day to stay inside for sure.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 11:18 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

got the white peachs done this morning..167 jars..yellow ones next....Image...went to the rams ..viking game sat. night .in St. Louis...great seats not much of a game though...Image...cheerleaders were ok.......Image

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 11:27 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

got a 20 pound flathead last night..Image

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 13:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Awesome pictures Chief. Fishing is picking up a little here. Vikings won? Got to love this weather!

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 14:17 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Vikings won 28 to 7....Image

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 19:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

had this digger on a adc line this afternoon..set the trap at 3:00,, had him at 7:00..Image..seems to be several at this location

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 23:39 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

:lol: With cheerleaders like that I would have been unaware of any game going on! :--o :lol: :lol: :lol:

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2010, 07:38 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Mohawk wrote:
:lol: With cheerleaders like that I would have been unaware of any game going on! :--o :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was beginning to think I was the only one focused on that picture! :--o :lol: 8|-

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2010, 18:15 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

got a hard elbow to my side ,when I took that pic.note to self "seat someone between you and the little woman from now on".... :wink: ..going to run over and see if I got another ground hog......well I had another whistle pig....Image

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2010, 21:14 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

nice peaches and catfish Chieftan. Oh yeah, the cheerleaders weren't bad either. :wink: :wink:

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2010, 06:46 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I got a tenth of inch of rain this morning..going to take more than that..its mighty dry here now....

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2010, 07:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

finally drying out here,,75 rite now,some clouds off over towards colorado. nice whistle pigs,,what do you do,,haul em off and release? cooler here now in the evening,,makes sleeping alot easier, have a good one today chief,,utah

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2010, 07:25 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

utahtrapper wrote:
finally drying out here,,75 rite now,some clouds off over towards colorado. nice whistle pigs,,what do you do,,haul em off and release? cooler here now in the evening,,makes sleeping alot easier, have a good one today chief,,utah

Overcast, humid and hot here in dear ol' east Texas! :evil: I'll be so glad when we have a cool front move thru and it DROPS TO 75F. :lol:

Some one once spoke of using groundhog hides in making miniature beaver hides on hoops. Sounds like a good wall hanger to me.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2010, 07:37 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Utah,glad to hear your drying out..I know you had more than your fair share of rain here of late.. groundhog season is in here ..I dispatched that one .I then chunked him up for trap bait,I will make a few land sets this winter..I'll need a little bait....Swamp ,if I salt the hide down good.and put in a bag ,do you think the hide would make the trip through the mail. :?:

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2010, 07:52 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Chieftain wrote:
Utah,glad to hear your drying out..I know you had more than your fair share of rain here of late.. groundhog season is in here ..I dispatched that one .I then chunked him up for trap bait,I will make a few land sets this winter..I'll need a little bait....Swamp ,if I salt the hide down good.and put in a bag ,do you think the hide would make the trip through the mail. :?:

Oh yeah....after LONE sent me the WHOLE SKUNK (which seems to have gotten delayed somewhere between Nevada and east Texas), my Mailman is up for about anything coming this way! :roll: :twisted: :lol: 8|-

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2010, 08:55 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

We got about 1/10 over here too Chief. Still sprinkling a little so we may get a smudge more. Still blows my mind Chief we have a season on groundhogs. I dont remember a season on them as a kid? I do remember when they started the season for crows :roll: . What are you baiting with Chief? We tried a little of everything apples, veggies, canning scraps and found chicken scratch with a little out of date real apple cider seemed to work best. Dogfood has worked ok in the past too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6908 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 277  Next