Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 07:23

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2007, 18:29 
Trapper
Trapper

i was just wondering if this sort of thing ever happened to anyone else out there. me & a buddy were out setting some traps on a little stream for mink one afternoon. it was fairly warm but we had some cold snaps so the fur was good for the takeing. anyhow we were setting baithole sets and my partner come walking up the stream & was looking like someone had just shot his best coon dog. i asked him what was wrong and he looked at me & said i just got bit by a snake. well i went at him like he was nut's cause like i said we had warm spell goin but it was nowhere near hot enough for snakes to be out on the prowl. i ask him if he got the trap set & he went to cussin & carrin on so i went to where he was setting up because he flat out refused to do it. i looked around & decideed he was full of it and when i went to digging into the bank sure enough there he was about a 3 foot water snake burrowed up in the bank. needless to say i took up the trap & set elsewhere. i told my buddy it was harmless but he said he was done for the & that he was'nt going to trap until it froze. & he has'nt went back out since. the wimp!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2007, 21:40 
The weird weather has all sorts of crazy stuff happening. But I don't blame him for not wanting to go back out. One of the nice things about trapping is that it usually takes place during a time of year when snakes and creepy crawlies aren't out to get ya!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2007, 21:44 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Saw a snake in the last warm spell, copperhead as a matter of fact. Snakes really don't bother me as I really ain't to scured of them like some people.

Possum-Too many

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2007, 22:00 
I handle snakes daily. I'm not afraid of them perse. What I'm afraid of is getting bitten by a venemous one and being unable to get to someone who can drive me to the hospital.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2007, 14:29 
Trapper
Trapper

I'm in agreement with your buddy and I think I would be done until colder weather if I even saw :shock: a snake on my trapline. That's one suprise I can live without ! I perfer to give snakes the same treatment as feral cats. :twisted:

Hunt, Fish, & Trap Forever !

grinnergitter54

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2007, 07:28 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

if your bit by any snake by surprise its a heart stopper your adrenaline goes thru the roof making it worse than it really is but his decision to not go back out is a bad one as hell never get over the fear which is bad mentally for him or any kids that wont get to go outdoors with him because of the trauma you should always use incidents like that as an eye opener to learn more about the situation take the death of steve irwin for example his wife didnt give up animals because of it .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2007, 17:20 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

exactly swartz couldn't say it any better . good post.