Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 21:28

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 22:54 
Trapper
Trapper

My question is how do you get all the kids nowadays that are glued to their puters checkin out My Space or BeBo or Youtube or all them other places that are PC and getting them on these outdoor websites? I visit a lot of places post on a handful yet hardly ever see many kids posting, but they sure spend a lot of time on the puter. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2007, 01:14 
Kids go to sites about things that interest them. If the parents aren't taking the time to educate the children about the outdoors, take them out, show them neat and interesting things instead of letting the play Xbox or Gamecube all the time, or spend 24-7 on whatever cell phone they've got this week, then it only stands to reason that they'll be hanging out on myspace talking to their friends, or researching new cheat codes online for whatever game has their eye, or downloading music for their i-pods.

I know, I know, no one likes to play the 'it's the parents' fault' card, but there comes a point where it has to be applied.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2007, 08:49 
Trapper
Trapper

Oh I know it's the parents. A couple of websites I visit have Myspace accts and post a lot of kid pics and such, get a lot of looks but it doesn't seem to draw them to the website. Crack that nut there could be some progress I think, just a tough one to crack. I guess this is kind of a mission of mine, to try and draw them away from the other places one at a time and get em hooked on the outdoors. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2007, 16:36 
Trapper
Trapper

Start camping weekends......no internet access in the woods. Leave kids cell phones at home if they have them. Start with fishing in the warmer months, nature walks, etc. Invite them on your trapline. Take them to conventions, most have kids activities.

Some kids just don't like the outdoors, you can't force them to be what they aren't.

Disclaimer- I don't have kids :wink: ....but am a 50 year old one :roll:

Smitty

up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-WOW-What
a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2007, 17:54 
Trapper
Trapper

i would take them in a week long camping trip with a good tent and bring maybe a buddy of mine and go deer hunting and so on. and hinking, but no dad but im gonna get them into that kinda stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2007, 18:22 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Im 15. :P I try to get everyone I see on these sites and try my darndest to get them hunting/trapping.

Possum-Too many

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2007, 18:44 
Trapper
Trapper

I spend waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on the 'puter. I try to get outdoors, but there isn't much to do in the winter months. I don't like to ice fish really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2007, 20:44 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I never get the chance to do anything like that. Man I wish I lived up north were you could really trap good. :cry:

Possum-Too many

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2007, 22:41 
The problem is too many teachers are anti-trapping. Even kids who trap are given a hard time in school. So short of their parents involving them at home, there aren't a lot of opportunities to catch their attention

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2007, 11:47 
Trapper
Trapper

Ty-Bo67 wrote:
Im 15. :P I try to get everyone I see on these sites and try my darndest to get them hunting/trapping.

We need more youngins to do that IMHO 8)

My post count went up while I was away :lol: :lol:
Glad this question spurred some discussion, I'd started a seperate thread originally if I'd known there'd been this kind of response. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2007, 12:11 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

DWD wrote:
Glad this question spurred some discussion, I'd started a seperate thread originally if I'd known there'd been this kind of response. :wink:

Yep, this is always a good topic.

DWD- By the way, I did get your e-mail, just have not had time to respond yet. I will be adding a link for you. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2007, 12:49 
Trapper
Trapper

Do what I do....I am getting my instructer cert for hunter's safety. I am going to get a program going at the school to get kids in my classes

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2007, 13:07 
Trapper
Trapper

TrapperKD wrote:
DWD wrote:

Yep, this is always a good topic.

DWD- By the way, I did get your e-mail, just have not had time to respond yet. I will be adding a link for you. :D

Thank You sir 8)
I think your link has gotten some use these last few days, I knw we're lacking in the trapping knowledge dept and certainly glad to find such a great group of folks who are willing to share their knowledge. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2007, 13:17 
Trapper
Trapper

Bowhunter-turned-trapper? wrote:
Do what I do....I am getting my instructer cert for hunter's safety. I am going to get a program going at the school to get kids in my classes

We're doing several events this summer in conjuction with some different organizations. Our latest work in progress is a youth day at the range. Hoping for a big turnout. Essay contests, youth hunts, several ways to get them hooked, it's just getting them to look once that seems to be the toughest challenge. Another project I have going is a writeup about how no matter where we are in the world there's kids out there doing the very same things in the outdoors. I'm accepting pictures via E-Mail and have gotten them from all over the world. Thing is, no matter where they were taken, the smiles are there and unless your told so, you'd not know they were somewhere else besides the US.

I wish you the best in your efforts... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2007, 13:32 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Bowhunter-turned-trapper? wrote:

I'm going on my 8th year as a Hunter's Ed. Instructor here in Wisconsin. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2007, 11:57 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

in my opinion its basically up the parents to get the kids on the trapline with them my dad never traped and still doesnt but i started going with one of his friends and after a few times its all ive wanted to do now ive got a couple of friends trapping with me and ive even started taking one of their little brothers with and the way its going in a few years hes gona be trapping on his own

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2007, 19:18 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I don't know I just take my daughter with .My dad very very seldom did but I take her all the time . I buy her the gear she needs just like what I need and get her involved and try to explain what I am doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2007, 22:10 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I am trying to get a few guys around my age to run a line with me next year in the bottoms out here. Alot of people are interested but all find a reason not to for some reason, maybe because I told them what they have to do. :roll:

Possum-Too many

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2007, 18:45 
Trapper
Trapper

I am involved with Ducks Unlimited and this year we had a youth hunt with kids from big brothers big sisters. We put on a hunters ed class and gun familiarzation clase then the next weekend we took the kids and their bigs out for a day of duck hunting. All had a blast and I think we sparked an interest in a few kids that day. They loved to see the dog work and they got out in December to do something.

If you cant take a kid, take a parent. If the parent likes the outdoors, the kids may get involved via the parent. I try to take at least one new person trapping with me each year. This year I took two. Both loved it. The one guy was so excited about trapping that he cant wait until his kid is old enough to go.

Post subject: start them young
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2007, 20:17 
Trapper
Trapper

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2007, 21:30 
Please tell me that's not a flyer

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2007, 21:28 
Trapper
Trapper

Kind of has that look don't it elizabeth, but I don't think it is.

KD, if you are ever looking for instructor help, give me a shout. I am in Chippewa County, but always look forward to helping and seeing other instructors. WTA

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2007, 20:48 
Trapper
Trapper

naw, its a red.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2007, 12:48 
Trapper
Trapper

Lil Bit wrote:
The problem is too many teachers are anti-trapping. Even kids who trap are given a hard time in school. So short of their parents involving them at home, there aren't a lot of opportunities to catch their attention

I work at a school and agree 100%. Though there is an English teacher there, that I have to give a lot of credit to. He's an avid outdoorsman and isn't afraid to speak out on the subject. I've seen pro gun, hunting and trapping info in his classroom. He mentioned the other day, that he wants to learn to trap and intends to do a little trapping this fall. He has even been pushing for a varsity skeet club. I guess so far, that has fallen on deaf ears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2007, 19:40 
Trapper
Trapper

The teachers give me a hard time at school. They say "Oh those poor little things, when you catch them you break their leg and they are in bad pain." One time to show a teacher that it doesnt put the animal through much pain, I took a #2 to school and put my hand in it. I have had teacher even try and convince me to quit trapping.