Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 16 Oct 2017, 21:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2007, 21:56 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

seems like after or while im making a set I think man this is going to get this or get that but after a week or better and the ego is deflated anxiety set in after the fifth day. I try to spruce it up or look to see what went wrong some times bait has been taken every day sometimes its every couple of days . there is somthing going very wrong must be the scent I leave behind . I made a dirt hole and the fox that was passing didn't any more . It may not have helped that I feed them 1/4 mile away either . I caught on to that stupid Idea after the third day and 5 beaver later thats carcasas. I pulled out but only because of the cold and I can catch more else ware I don't like to just target one species . I have never caught a coyote but then I really have never really tried. reading these forums has peaked my interest a little and will aquire some urine some one said dog does work too I have two female dogs should I try this or just get some fox urine what is the best this time of year . there is snow on the ground now . I just waxed some #2 coil I have all the tools . I actually have caught most of the fox with snow some in legs some in 220 all were blind but one cubby under a fallen tree on the river bank that one I ganged 3 #1 jump and got three legs it was like it just jumped on all three at once. I seem to like to ramble on here . I just seem to try and try and they smell my traps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 18:14 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

i agree you always have so much trust in a new set just to get dazzled i had a bait set for red fox he stepped 5 prints around the jaw in the siftings but never on the pan told the boy dig the hole bigger then we staked a grouse carcass minus the breasts in there
went back today he dug up trap to get grouse but still avoided pan so i dug deeper restaked last carcass and made it more of a cubby set but used big rocks so tomorrow im hoping hes there with a duke bracelet if not ill put 3 or 4 traps there for him
still seeing my big alpha male red on my morning line on the opposite side so i have at least 2 near my lines just playin with one and other is just for my sight only he knows how to play me but thats what keeps us goin huh

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 23:31 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I moved to a new spot and first day fox ate a rat dirty bugger . so I gave it two carcassas to naw on but he has to run the gauntlet to get them. I may get him some where else as I saw tracks going in to a dugout rat house and nothing comming out. I gaurded the house entrance with 2 #2 duke coils just hope he steps in one thats all I need him to do. If I get two legs even better. there waxed so I hope scent is no issue . I wonder if I catch him if he will be worth more since he ate my muskrat right out of the trap he left the head for my viewing pleasure or a trophy or may be he drew a smiley face on it but I didn't look that close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2007, 20:33 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

well I set one two days ago and thought boy if I get one there Im gonna be real lucky that set really has much to be desired. And I almost pulled it but today the trap had the #4 mink of the season in it . Actually was quite joyed as I really thought it was a dumb set there I go thinking again. this one had lots of white most of all the mink I have caught in my life which is 2 ok thats a lie but it had white under the chin all the way to just before the front legs and white under each arm( leg) pit then a streak of white down the belly and down by his buck mink parts. I think I have only ever caught one or two female mink ever they seem to be less of them or what . any one know this or is it just a fluke for me.think its three now that I really think might be more but it is like 10 to 1 or close to that.