Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 19:16

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I feel like a kid again
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2006, 22:46 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Hello to all. Ijust got back into trapping last year after about 25 or so years off and it sure does bring back alot of pleasent memories. only this time I've got my son helping me. We only got a dozen traps but it sure is fun to get out there and see what we can catch. We have got 1 Gray and 2 possoms so far, it has been raining alot off and on for about a week and it is supposed to dry out this week so maybe we can get all of our traps set. We hope to catch some coyotes this year, caught 1 last year but the dang thing dragged my trap off; broke the wire, so this year i got some thicker wire!Look forward to posting and learning. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Dec 2006, 00:05 
Trapper
Trapper

Hey RedWolf! Welcome back to trapping!! :D I was out of it alittle longer than you, and got back into it a few years ago myself.

Congrats on you & your son's catches. Wiring coyote traps isn't the best method of trap anchoring. You need some rebar or cablestakes. Coyotes are pretty tough critters in a trap and you need to be sure you're able to keep them there.

Be looking forward to you & your son's trapping "adventures" 8)

Smitty

up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-WOW-What
a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Dec 2006, 20:50 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Smitty, thanks for the advice on the stakes i will probably order a dozen of them soon. We did get another possom this morning, still waitng for the gray dogs!----RW :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2007, 01:57 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

man i was just thinking the same thing the other day( feels like being a kid again) every once in awhile you get to feel like that.it sure does feel good more often than not i am reminded of how i got started trapping and what it felt like back then it just kinda sneaks up on ya, man i miss those times back when you didnt have a care in the world except cacthing that next coon or what ever you was trapping back then. sometimes i swear i can still hear my freinds grandad voice when i walk around looking at traps reminding me of what i need to be doing and what not. lord knows i miss him. youth is something that only when you look back on it does it seem valueable, but when you are young it would seem to never cross your mind

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2007, 18:49 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

ditto on the stakes i read a couple of weeks back on a site the estimated pulling force of each critter and itll blow your ming away i think foxes were around 200-3300 lbs plus this was all figured on 3 legs i stake at least 1 24 inch 1/2 stake or 2 18 inches and im not even sure of yotes around here but im havin fun catching foxes