Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 10:56

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bowfishing
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2008, 03:28 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

So I'm picking up a new bow from mobowdoctor for deer hunting, so the old PSE is going to be my bowfishing bow. I have a few questions for you guys if you can help me out. I was wondering where to set my pin or pins at, I don't think you'd need more than one but I don't know. Also, do you have to aim different in water because you view it differently on the surface? Any tips would be helpful. Thanks. Also any help with what stuff to buy would be helpful too.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. -Matthew 5:9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2008, 07:02 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

one pin is all you need and I aim just a touch low ,not much though..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2008, 07:38 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

i found that pins messed me up, they wanted me to put right on them and i missed. i took them off and just guessed what was on the fish and just pushed it low. and you donthave to worry about gettin them dirty ot bumping them or nothin like that. so basically, go bare bow. just my opinion.

Duck-
Regular goose-

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2008, 08:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I'v got an old recuve 40 pound pull [can shoot it all day and not get tired]got a big zebco mounted on it and this is where your braided line come's in handy..got my spooled with 90 pound dycron braided catfish line...that set up is hard on them bugle mouth bass.... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2008, 08:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Preach I shoot a set up almost identical to Chieftains. The water will magnify the fish so like everyone said shoot a tad low. Don't know what style reel your useing but I will say that the old style that you have to wrap the string by hand can get very interesting if the string gets tangled up as the arrow can and WILL :shock: come back at you when it gets to the tangled spot if the string doesn't break

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2008, 23:52 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

This is the setup I'm planning on getting:

http://www.amsbowfishing.com/product_in ... cts_id=263

I've heard not to get those Zebco reel from a bowfishing outfitter I've been talking to. He said if you forget to hit the release it will be bad news bears. He said he recommends that setup, and it was the one I was planning on getting anyway. Now that I know my setup, how do y'all recommend I go about this? I know of a park that is covered up with carp, but I'm going to hunt it after dark out of public eye and just walk the bank. It's perfectly legal, but if anyone asks questions my dad patrols the area with the department so what will they say? I guess knowing the patrolman has it's goodside. I've got a canoe, but don't know where to start looking for fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2008, 06:54 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Preach ,like most bow outfitter's he's wanting to sell you something more expensive...[that's how they make money]I'v shot carp with a old zebco for over 30 year's no problem's .as far as forgeting to hit the release .that's about like saying if you forget to put the saftey on your gun it might accidently go off ....you think :!: bow outfitter's are there to make thereselve's money.my thought's after 33 year's of bowhunting is this the simpler you can keep your equiment the better off you are .less thing's to go wrong..I worked in a bow shop for a couple of year's.and most arn't really worried about what is best for you or your bow but about how much they can sell you...you need this, you need that ..did you ever go to a bow shop and spend less money than you thought you would..hardly ever..The way that plastic thing look's to me is that it ain't going to hold up..there is no other shooting where your any harder on your bow than carp shooting.with the reel, line and arrow's I'v got around $20.00 in mine..the reel I have has been on my bow for 18 year's...I don't think that plastic thing will last 3 year's ...jmo......most bow shop owner's don't care for me because I know what work's and what dosent[for me].in other word's I won't just put myself in thier hand's a let them sell me what they think I need...try it if you don't like it try something else...that thing might be the greatest thing ever or it may not...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2008, 08:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

If baiting them is ok, then I know that some folks at the park across from my old high school through can corn in the water to attract the carp to them so they can catch em on a fishin pole. Mine could find a xinda out of "anti" sight and through some out. At public parks, you;rew boun to find some one nosey to try and ruin your hunt. Even if it's legel, and the patrolman won't bother you, some mooron might.

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2008, 10:07 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Back in the early 90's I went to Lake Mead , Nevada to a natoinal carp shoot and they baited with floating popcorn on the water which made for some great head shot's the biggest carp shot at that event was a 86 pound moster bugle mouth bass...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2008, 11:00 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

He's not an outfitter, just a guide. He said he's been using that combo for years now and hasn't had a problem. I'll just go to Gander and see what they've got. I do know I don't want one of those drum looking ones you wind the line on by hand. Heard nothing but complaints on those. I also think I'll need to take the overdraw off my bow too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2008, 11:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I got one of those drum lookin things just to try out bow fishing with out putting much money in to it at first. I steal hadn't tried it yet, though. Took it out, but didn't find anything to shoot. I was wandering if they would do any good on those armourd plated gars. I put it on my old 40 lb compound bow. anyone know if it will go into em?

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2008, 12:19 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I have shot gar and bowfin with my 40 pounder and had no problem pentrating them out to 25 yard's...Boom the hand spool is fine but it cut's in to your shooting time...if your into them and you usally are if they are running the bank's.hand spooling all that line take's awhile ...the crank reel handle speed's thing's up...Preach the over draw will more than likely have to come off...If your guide say's he has had good luck with it and he use's it alot that's apretty good endorsment...I have never use that particular model I just know what worked best on mine..I'm not so old yet I cant' learn a thing or two if you do get this one ..keep us posted on how it work's.I'm for change ..........................................if the change is for the better.....if it's a good one I'll have one.. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2008, 21:17 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Preacher- thats the same set up i have only the model froma few years ago. its an awsome setup. and convinient. havnt had any trouble with it ever. and might i suggest to go to cabelas and look at this piece for your arrow. just for added protection from that dreded catch and having that arrow come back at you.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

Duck-
Regular goose-

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2008, 21:49 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thanks Chieftain. Like I said, I got the "CHEAP" one to try and see if I even want to bother with it. I see your point about time, though. I figured if I liked it enough, then later I could spend the money on the better rigs. Thank again.

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2008, 21:52 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

Funny thing BigMoo, the package I'm getting at Gander has that arrow type with it. I think it has a Muzzy point though. That's fine with me, I love Muzzy broadheads and the trokar (or whatever it's called) tip. I think it comes with a roller type arrow rest. Are these good, or should I get a Fisherbisquit? I honestly don't know if I'm going to make it to friday, I'm pretty excited. I think the wait until sunday to try it out will be worse than the wait until friday. I think on saturday I will sink some 20 oz bottles to practice on. That's what a few people have recommended to me. I'll learn where to aim, and the 20 oz bottles are way smaller than the fish I'll be shooting at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2008, 21:55 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

Boomhawr wrote:
Thanks Chieftain. Like I said, I got the "CHEAP" one to try and see if I even want to bother with it. I see your point about time, though. I figured if I liked it enough, then later I could spend the money on the better rigs. Thank again.

I've also heard that type is worse about kinking up and sending your arrow back to you than the reel types. Also, If you stick a big gar then your hands could be in a real danger when that sucker takes off. I mean that in the upmost seriousness, while jugg fishing my uncle hooked an 8 foot gar, and those suckers will put up a fight. I'd say a good sized gar could take a finger off if you have ahold on that rope when he takes off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2008, 22:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

i jsut buy the cheap arrows and then fix them the way i want them. i havnt got the rest yet but i have shot bows with them on adn they are alot smoother.

Duck-
Regular goose-

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2008, 23:40 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

Well I went to Gander today and picked up the package. It came with a bowfishing DVD an AMS 610 bowfishin reel one of the roller-rests with high walls and two arrows. It put me out 150 bucks, but it'll be worth it when I get something. Right now I don't have a sight on there either, my newer sight is too thick and the reel mounts where the sight does, so the screws won't fit. I might see if I can find my old pendelum (sp?) sight and put on there though, or just stick to no sight since everything should be pretty close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2008, 11:37 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

i have tried both and no sights is easier to use cause yoiu may end up spending to much time worrying about the pin instead of gettin the shot off. oh and i have also found that if the arrows have those black sleeve that looks like fletchings, cut them off. they change the direction the arrow flies in the water.

Duck-
Regular goose-

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2008, 22:21 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

Well I went out today. I didn't put a sight on my bow and probably missed about 15 times. Then I finally stuck one, but it came off when it ran off. I think it's because of the arrow I used. It's the type that is kind of like an expandable and they unscrew ant the barbs reverse. It's by AMS, I should've stuck with the Muzzy's. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2008, 14:52 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

i woudl say that that was the [roblem too. i tried those too and had the same problem. if it dont go the whole way through its no good and pulls out.

Duck-
Regular goose-

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2008, 14:56 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

I would've stuck with the Muzzy's but I broke an arrow in the creek when I practced and I messed a point up when I missed one of the carp on the lake. I've got a sight on there now, more for a reference than to aim though. They're good as gone wednesday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2008, 15:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

if all you did was goober up the point, you can get replacement points and wire barbs

Duck-
Regular goose-

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2008, 15:18 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

The one from the creek got all messed up, arrow, head, and all. The one from the lake just got the point dinged up, so I bought some replacements for it. I never EVER have good luck with rocky areas whether it be bowfishing or bow hunting. Me + rocky area= trip to buy more arrows. By the way these are the tips that the carp got off on:

http://www.amsbowfishing.com/product_in ... ucts_id=37

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2008, 15:31 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I really wish I had had a bowfishing rig the other night. Me and a buddy of mine were catfishing on the river the other night and there were gar everywhere. Every time we would shine our flashlights to check the poles there would be gar swimming around within a few inches of the surface. They would have been pretty easy to pick off. I've been thinking for a while about setting up a bow fishing rig but right now I only have one bow. Maybe if I ever get a new bow I will set my old one up for bowfishing.

Coon: 5
Grinner: 4