Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 10:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ginseng
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2008, 21:19 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

What to yall know about huinting ginseng?

yote: 1
coon: 17
skunk: 4
cottontail: 1
grinners: quit countin

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2008, 08:37 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

All I know is it brings like 200 an ounce or some outragous price like that. Makes me want to start hunting it too.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. -Matthew 5:9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2008, 11:11 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Yeah I know. The guy I sold my fur to asked if I hunted herbs during the summer, so we got to talking about ginseng and now Im curious about how to find it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2008, 12:50 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

you find it in the woods, sometimes in patches. it grows about a foot or two tall, and when its full grown will usually have 4 stems coming off from the main stem. Leaves are only at the end of the stems and never along them. Young ginseng will have leaves at the end of the main stem and then every year or two will add another stem until it gets to four. It takes a long time to grow is why its so rare. I have heard that 6 or 7 years to get full grown would be very very fast.

At the ends of the stems are usually 3 or 5 leaves, almost like poison ivy. The leaves will have little teeth near the stem and get more jagged and toothy toward the end of the leaves. When they have 5 leaves there will be three bigger main leaves and the other two will face the opposite direction and be smaller.

In early/mid summer they will make little whiteish flowers that come out of the stems in the middle of the leaves, and mid/late summer-early fall they will have red berries in place of the flowers. As it gets cold and plants start to die off they will turn bright yellow all over, that usually is a good time to look for them, they are easy to find because most other plants will turn brown or red.

I'm sure if you did a search you could find a picture. I am not a real big shanger but I have found some here and there before. From what I understand there is a lot more of it in east TN up in the mountains, preach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2008, 14:15 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

I've heard that to ryebear, I just don't want to go tromping around the mountains without a gun ginsing hunting. You know how bad moonshining and meth is up around these parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2008, 14:34 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

yes, it my adventures in east TN we have run across that sort of thing more than once, just the places though, never into a cooker or shiner in person, that was up in the north near the KY border where there's pretty much nothing for miles and miles, it may not be as bad near knoxville, I dunno

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2008, 15:42 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

I think gets worse the farther east and north you go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2008, 16:18 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

check your state laws as pa has size and harvest laws so as to keep the patches from getting wiped out by some greedy person some [places only buy certain sizes like 3 leaves or more or something like that

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2008, 16:43 
Trapper
Trapper

Ginseng hunting is a popular sport in western Va. I went on many trips with my dad while I was growing up. Dad would usually sell 800 to 900 dollars worth per year. Before you sell it, you have to let it dry. I believe it takes about 4 or 5 lbs of fresh to egual 1 lb of dried root. I have hunted some in east Tn over the years. A typical hunt means all day walking and very little time digging. I have a few ounces dried in my shop right now, that I dug a couple years ago. Just never got around to selling it. Va. now has a 3 prong minimum size and you must get a permit before you dig any. I have seen single roots that weigh up to 1 lb fresh, but those are like heavy racked 12 pointers - very rare. If you have plenty of time and energy, it can be profitable, and even better it gets you in the woods early and lets you scout for deer activity. At that time of year you have to watch out for rattlesnakes and copperheads. The guys who hunt ginseng a lot are the reason they invented snake bite kits and leg garters. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2008, 15:24 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Another thing, when you get sasafrass root, do you peel the outside part of the tap root or do you take the whole thing and just cut of the hairs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2008, 14:14 
Trapper
Trapper

I have dug gensang ever since i was about nine or ten years old, i love it almost as hunting fishing and trapping. Made over three thousand last fall, and some of the guys around here with out jobs or school made over ten thousand. And Ryebear three pounds wet makes one dry, it can take from six to over twenty years to mature depending on the soil that its in, i have found plants with leaves along the stems also, but this is rare. It should also never be dug before the berries are red and they should be planted back as soon as its dug, as all that does is kill it out. Last year it brought $860 a pound and thats the highest it ever has around here, and i saw one root four or five years ago that dad dug that weighted one pound.