All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Do you butcher your own deer?
Yes 97%  97%  [ 34 ]
No 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 35
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2006, 21:25 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

How many of you guys and gals butcher your own deer? I killed a deer this morning (Yeehaw! First one of the year!) and had it butchered this afternoon. I'm not good at it by any means but I think I do a fair job of getting most of the meat off in decent sized pieces. :lol:

In the case of a wallhanger I would prefer to have my taxidermist do the caping, I just am not confident enough to do the precise work needed for a nice cape.

And besides... those fresh inside loins taste awesome, fried up rare with some fresh garlic and a little browned butter. :D

Post subject: butchering
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2006, 00:47 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

ya forgot the onion Keith. lol. My dad taught me how to butcher long ago. He learned from his dad and so on. Now, I'm teaching my wife how to can venison. Can't beat it.

yotes 28
red fox 19
grey fox 13
coon 21
rat 14
beaver 27
otter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2006, 08:01 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Yup, I forgot the onion. :( You are right, I usually add one of those into the mix too.

I love canned venison! I will be doing some of that this year also, assuming I can get close to more deer. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2006, 08:30 
Trapper
Trapper

The first one I ever butchered was done pretty poorly. When I started hunting whitetails with my father-in-law (a professional cook and lifelong hunter), my skills improved.

I agree though that professionals are needed when you find yourself standing over the trophy of a lifetime...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2006, 09:17 
I butcher my own because it lets me decide which cuts I want, how many, and how much hamburger I want to make. Some deer just smell different, and I process them more for burger. Some deer have tender muscles that you can rip apart with your fingers. Those I turn 90% into steak, stew meat, butterfly steaks, chops, etc.

And, since I do the taxidermy thing, I don't mind caping out my own deer as I'll be the one mounting it in the end. John and I did a video on how to process your deer for the freezer, and for the show-room. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2006, 20:44 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Lil Bit wrote:
John and I did a video on how to process your deer for the freezer, and for the show-room. :)

Hey Lil Bit-- Is your video for sale anywhere? I have one called "Care and Processing of Venison" by Bill Hesselgrave. The camera work is poor but it is a very good video regardless, he points out quite a few good tips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2006, 08:10 
Nope. We haven't put it out for commercial sale. The reason we did it was because there were a bunch of people in the hunter ed classes up here who had no real idea how to do it, They had a video on how to field dress a big game animal, but the problem was, the angles were crappy, and they didn't show a lot of the little tricks and tips that make it easier for older, younger, and female hunters in the field. That's why we went through beginning to end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2006, 15:11 
Trapper
Trapper

I've been butchering my own deer for a number of years now first reason quality control I control the quality of the meat I eat at least after the kill that is. Second is cost I am too cheap to pay someone to cut up my deer when it is not that hard to do. One thing I do is save up all the trimmings that are not suitable for steaks/chops/roasts or stew meat and at the end of the season I take them in and have sausage made this way I know the sausage is made from just my meat too. I had a bad experience a few years backand most of the meat from our deer that season got fed to the dog it was terrible and that was the last time someone else processed my deer meat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2006, 20:45 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I butcher all my deer that way I know I get mine back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006, 04:26 
Trapper
Trapper

I learned a long time ago that everything requires you to pay money but. The money saved doing it myself gets more traps which make me money. Hence you must make money to spend money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2006, 21:50 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I do 5-7 per year myself. Don't want too do any myself, but I'm not about to pay $75 apiece around here to have it done. I've processed alot of deer. When I first started doing it, it took about seven hours from start to finish...it's now less than three without rushing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2006, 08:05 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I do them myself. It don't take an hour and aint hard so I don't see why everyone don't do it there self.

Possum-Too many

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2006, 23:24 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Ty-Bo67 wrote:
I do them myself. It don't take an hour and aint hard so I don't see why everyone don't do it there self.

If you only spend an hour...you must have some awfully small deer where you're at. It takes a half hour just to clean everything up when finished...knives, cutting board, grinder, food saver...etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Dec 2006, 09:50 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Average deer in Arkansas is 150 Lbs. I have seen them up to 250 lbs. but most are at the 150 mark. I was thinking about hanging it up and cleaning it. :? Na it takes close to 2 hours for butchering cuz we always have about 5 people working it over. I am always stuck with the jerky job and have to seperate the muscles and slice but that don't take but 30 min.

Possum-Too many

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 17:19 
Trapper
Trapper

Taught myself how to cut em up when I was 15,so I been doin em for 25yrs myself. Gets easier the longer ya do it but it seems to be more work as I get older? :roll:
That doesn't make sense but that's the way it feels. :lol:
I'm picky too when it comes to the meat I eat whether I buy it at the butcher or kill it myself. Started canning deer 15 years ago, just a natural progression I think. Something bout openin a jar of cold pack deer shanks and havin a frosty one or two with some crackers just sits well with me.

Now them boys down in GA they don't mess around, and if you been in the briars they got down there, you'll understand. Just string em up right there where they hit the ground and go to whittlin.
If he's too big they'll start a fire and eat him right there. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 17:54 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

i agree to cheap to pay someone for the meat and its also bonding time with the kids we have a local shop that does 100s but the worst part is you can drive by on 70 degree days and the deer are just piled up out front for 12 -14 hours thats not right and you know theyll rip people on there meat
but ask stang234 we have it down to about an hour start to finish per deer less with more cause they roll easier when your moving but i guess its the hillbilly upbringin that helps there

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 18:07 
Trapper
Trapper

you know with a little time and a lot less money you can make whatever cuts you want also you can make better jerky or bolona if you do it to your taste Ever piece taste better when you do it yourself

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 20:19 
Trapper
Trapper

Nope, never killed a deer. We only have like 50 billion here in Indiana. I'm afraid if I kill one they'll add them to the endangered list like otter & bobcat :roll:

Smitty

up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-WOW-What
a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2007, 08:34 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

thats about the average deer shot here too 150 lbs but the deer are 200 if they make it to 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 but there are deer bigger I have seen 300 lb ones and there was the state reacord one shot actually world record weight think it was 2003 it was shot . I do know the one it beat was shot in minnesota too and that was in 1954 and weighed 455 lbs the date might be wrong on both but it was a 400 pounder any ways. now thats a big deer I did see a big one this year rack fit the deer and the deer had a big ole pot belly just a monster buck there were two bucks and a doe the smaller buck I saw longer and was able to count the points that was a 12 pointer and the rack and body were not even close to the big one wish I had a camera that would have been almost as good as shooting the behemoth.I just posted this as I read about deer sizes. the biggest I have shot is a big eight pointer and that was not that big .almost big enough to hang on the wall but not quite

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2007, 23:02 
Trapper
Trapper

Always have considered it part of the whole process. I use Grandpa's antique meat saw ( RIP Poppy ), hang 'em from come-a-long and hog hanger, and use 2 saw horses w/ 2, 4ft. red oak 1x12's for table tops. Rapala fillet knives do well for most of the necessary cuttin' and grind my own bambi burger w/ 20% pork shoulder roast.
Hope to nab my first Wiley by weeks end. Hunt, Fish, and Trap forever !

grinnergitter54

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2007, 22:28 
Trapper
Trapper

Ive gutted a few deer and i go all the way with butchering it, i use my dads clip blade knife which is great so you dont hit the stomach or your gonna have a mess of $&@# everywhere and to me it ruins the taste of the venison, i likejust sticking that clip blade in and zzzzzziiiiiiiippppp right up through the hide and get that done and out of the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2007, 13:56 
Trapper
Trapper

Never have sent a deer to a buther. Grew up on a farm and had to do it all myself. I rarely bring a whole deer out of the woods with me now. Bone them out and pack them out. But I guess, I hunt so far from the road I need to do that. Most deer take me about an hour to skin, cape, but up and bag up for the hike out. Cuts down on weight for that long hike out. Longest I have ever packed an animal was three days. I tell ya, that gets old fast with a 140 pound pack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2007, 02:42 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

i butcher my own because i can be sure it was handly sanitarily and i can work it up in the size packages ill need to make a meal for my family

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2007, 09:24 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Lil Bit wrote:
John and I did a video on how to process your deer for the freezer, and for the show-room. :)

If you start selling it tell me I want to start doing taxidermy (I have already started to tan skins for people)

beaver-4
muskrat-3
mink-2