Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 09:15

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: one option
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2017, 00:34 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Ive been offered to stay in a sheep herders trailer south of Hardman Oregon. Which is south of heppner. I would still be on the plains which im trying to get off of. :( And its a dry camp as far as well water. Ive had to haul water many times in my life. There is a seasonal creek on the property that runs most of the year. I need to google earth the location to get an idea of the lay of the land. There is power. So thats a plus.
Been over that way REM?

FREEDOM~LIBERTY

Post subject: Re: one option
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2017, 02:40 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Yup. Hunted over near Pendland Lake, about 17 miles east of there. Lots of draws and ridges leading south to the breaks above the John Day River. Draws are brushy with dryland wheat on some of the ridges,but plenty of grass and brush. Lots of deer, grouse, and coyotes. How far south of Hardman are you talking. Four or five miles south and you are into the timber. Area is laced with old logging roads. Neighbors might be scarce, but I like that country, long as you can stand your own company. Don't expect to find fish in those creeks. They are shallow and can dry up. Shouldn't be an issue this year with all the snowpack around the state. Area is not at all like the plains of eastern Colorado.

Let me know if I can supply more info, if you need it.

Post subject: Re: one option
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2017, 12:51 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Seven miles south of Hardman..so looks like the property is in the foothills and timber.
Hardman has some interesting history. Established back in 1850 or there abouts. Was once known as RAWDOG and also YELLER DOG. at one time had thousands of buffalo in the area.
Musselshell area was the last location for free roaming buffalo and buffalo skulls are occasionally found but most bones were gathered for the fertilizer trade. River banks wash out and sometimes skulls can be found along river and creek shores. Sounds like this years runoff might expose new ground.
RAWDOG was an early trading town with the local natives so i would imagine there are lots of interesting items to be " seen". As we all know everything on state lands belong to the king and narry a fossil can be gathered there. Smirk.
Nice to know there are rivers and a lake near.by. and lots of game. I have a feeling i might be eating rawdog at some point. Lol. Better to cross into the realm of the hereafter in the mnts Than here.
As we grow older we have to think of that sort of thing. Most days i feel like i will live forever....but that aint happening.
I have the option of going to sterling michigan. Still time to decide before i depart from here.
The property belongs to my adopted nez perce brother who is an AVID hunter and fisher. So i would have company some of the time.
I really dont want to be there alone...but im about done searching for that illusive guy of my dreams. :) maybe in the next life.
Thanks rem for the input. Maybe see you on a ridge sometime. :)

FREEDOM~LIBERTY