Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 09:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2016, 08:07 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

This is my first year of trapping, I decided to hang my conibear's until they rusted a bit, then painted, as I didn't have the means to do the dye dipping thing. They have been hanging for a couple weeks and still smell of paint, How long do they have to hang for the odor to go away, or can I now dip in vinegar, then water to eliminate it.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2016, 08:32 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

ive paint my traps for 12 years now .after they dry I just hose mine off with water and let they hang for 3 or 4 days .I have not had any smell issues..i don't use oil base paints either...

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2016, 17:20 

I paint all of my bodygrip traps. Then again, here in Pennsylvania, using bodygrips on dry land is unlawful. They must be located within a watercourse.

I have painted foothold traps as well. As long as they are painted well before the season and allowed to air dry outside I believe you shouldn't have a problem.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2016, 18:47 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Painting body grips seems to have little affect on animals that are taken by them, its when you get into K9 trapping that things turn around. Beaver , otter, muskrat , marten , mink and fisher you will catch because they seem not to care as much about sent from paint, but i still do the boil method every year . Snares in my opinion is taboo at least in the wilds, some have had luck around farms and homesteads.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2016, 11:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

wolf1199 wrote:
Painting body grips seems to have little affect on animals that are taken by them, its when you get into K9 trapping that things turn around. Beaver , otter, muskrat , marten , mink and fisher you will catch because they seem not to care as much about sent from paint, but i still do the boil method every year . Snares in my opinion is taboo at least in the wilds, some have had luck around farms and homesteads.

Let me rephrase part of my comment. Painted wolf snares in the wild for me do not work. Wild I mean my registered line. I have no idea how they would work on yotes though.