Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 22:10

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: another first...
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2016, 12:58 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I spent a beautiful sunny weekend in the other part of South Dakota, seemingly endless spaces with few people, showing a couple of young guys the ways of antelope hunting. Neither dad ended up getting one and my T clearly has shown that he can out shoot his old man but that's ok. My couple of misses yesterday morning just saves me work today! Watching a badger work a prairie dog town was as much fun for me than knocking over a doe speed goat...

P.S. The enthusiasm needed to spend 30-45 minutes crawling down a fence line to take a 400 yard shot certainly is more intense (and easier) for a 16-year old than a mid-50s year tubby old man...

Genesis 1:26

Post subject: Re: another first...
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2016, 18:54 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Man I hope you tried calling a coyote there PC. Great looking country and I bet the boys had a ball.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2016, 22:38 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Surprisingly tt, we never saw a yote all weekend with all the driving, glassing, and walking we did. Did manage to see 3 red fox in the area, that was sort of fun. I think the state extension trappers go pretty hard against the yotes in the nw corner of the state. Cow-calf production is the name of the game up there, except the anomaly of irrigated crops in the Bell Fourche River valley. Our "jumping off point" to most of the public access wide-open grassland pastures (state leased for hunting) was the town of Newell, named after the first director of the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, Frederick Newell. The Belle Fourche irrigation project was the 2nd effort of the Bureau of Reclamation, although they found out that some of the soils in the proposed irrigation area weren't the best to be found. I would modify the BoR website about the project today, that after alfalfa, corn is probably the second most raised crop with irrigation water in the area.

http://www.usbr.gov/history/CommissBios/newell.html

https://www.nps.gov/nr/testing/Reclamat ... e_Dam.html

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2016, 03:31 

That looks really cool PC! great looking country as well! Congrats to your son on the pronghorn.

I'd love to try to hunt pronghorn someday. (Someday meaning when the kids are out of college and I have more than just 1 week of vacation :roll:)