Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 20:59

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2016, 11:19 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

My friend "Thor" is not your typical farmer around here. being organic and smaller time (I think he farms over 400 acres, most "Corn Belt" farmers around here probably average operating a 1,000-1,500 or more). This is also the second year where he has planted no corn whereas corn is the leading crop for most of the typical guys. Thor doesn't make a lot farming then again he doesn't spend a lot to operate his farm either. Most guys around here spend hundreds of thousands to several million to make a profit of what a typical-to slightly above typical middle class family earns in a year. There are exceptions of making more profit than most as well as exceptions of when crop prices are high and they make big bank. But most years aren't boom years and some years a busts (costs exceed return). With corn prices this year, its looking like a bust year, especially for guys who have to rent a proportion of their land base. Thor doesn't rent any land.

So, when viewing these pixs, remember he is not the typical farmer around here. Photos were taken about 10 days ago.

Fence line shot, Thor's neighbor's soybeans on the right, his on the left. Thor never gets his crops in overly early. The weeds are also starting to show up in his beans. He cuts up several of his parcels into smaller sizes so why he doesn't whack the weeds, such as volunteer wild sunflowers, out by hand a couple hours when its cool in the morning and get a better soybean yield with a cleaner field, I've never been able to figure out. If a guy is going to grow a "premium" niche crop like organics, why not try to get more of it...?

slightly different angle of his south soybean field.

Just north of this parcel he planted some oats. Not a lot of guys plant small grains around here anymore. I don't know if he planned to cut for green straw as the heads were filling out of not (he did this with some barley last year). He cut it about the middle of June. He is one of the only guys who plastic wraps round bales of hay or straw around here, a practice I know is a lot more common in the eastern U.S. They were loading these bales onto some semi-trailers a couple of days ago, the buyer I guess is an organic dairy farmer.

About 2/3rds of a mile north, there's a fence line separating on of his alfalfa fields from another soybean field. Thor's cropland this year has been in alfalfa, soybeans, and the one parcel of oats that he cut for green straw. He won't have much to land to harvest in the fall so if he busts his combine head on massive amounts of dried wild sunflowers, he can probably get it fixed before he loses the rest of the beans. He's an "interesting" dude...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2016, 12:02 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Thanks for the pictorial NonPC, those were some good photos of Thor's operation. I am not sure just how "organic" a product can be but some is better than none in most cases.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2016, 16:30 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Agree Swamp , just how " organic " can anything really be with so much pollution in the air, soil and water ? :shock: :shock:
Nevertheless , supposed organic products command much higher prices, although the paperwork and documentation can be very burdensome.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2016, 18:24 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

I like Thor. :D

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2016, 18:27 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

trappintime wrote:

people like thor are not good for your business Trap.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2016, 21:35 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

No, tt wouldn't make any money on Thor but plenty on some of his neighbors.

I wonder sometimes what will happen to Thor's land after he's gone (he's mid-60+ now). I think he has 2 kids but neither I think is interested in farming. They may want to still own the land but renting out land as organic would probably be hard, although there is another organic place just up the road.

It would be nice that the farm would stay an atypical operation for around here, if nothing else to give the local farmers something to talk about. I doubt a young couple interested in keeping the whole place organic could afford to buy it unless they had rich families. Say Thor stays healthy and farms another 15 years (he'd be over 80) and his land at that point is worth 8K an acre (probably not that far from that number now). To buy the whole 400 acres (and I think its actually a bit more), that would be 3.2 million up front. Maybe a young organic couple could buy an 80 and go more intensive in higher value stuff than just hay and soybeans. Some of the larger typical operations would most likely gobble up some of the parcels.

I wish I would have taken the picture but one fall about 2 miles from Thor's land I drove home from work and watched 3 or 4 combines and 5 or 6 semi-trucks take down a 160 acres of soybeans with a tractor following doing fall field work. How much working capital was at play in that one field that evening...? Of course, for those guys nothing really matters except sheer volume of the output...

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2016, 14:47 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thanks for sharing. Always interesting to see the different ways of doing things..... but where are the trees? Lol! I know....its SD... :lol:

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2016, 21:08 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Quote:
..... but where are the trees?

What do you mean, there's trees in 4 out of the 6 pixs :P :P :P

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2016, 23:12 

doc9013 wrote:
trappintime wrote:

people like thor are not good for your business Trap.

Sure they are doc. They create more weed seeds than others. :roll:

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2016, 12:37 

Being poor or Thor allows one to learn and teach at the same time. Saturday the boys removed an engine from my favorite truck
The rear main seal had started puking oil at the rate of 1 quart per 15 miles so needed done. The look on their faces after the job was done and it actually ran was worth more than most anything money can buy. :D :D
Then we made some money by making some hay using this old unit :D

That cost soooooooooo much less than my neighbors unit he did the rest of my field with.

Hiring kids to help haul the bales is a win win situation as they need coin too and I need not broken back from lifting 1,500 bales myself anymore.

The young lady helping with the bales is as tough as any I've ever met as she was the only one besides me who didn't want gloves. I'd also be willing to lay wagers that she could take any average boy of her age in any fight.
We don't need to make the bales but do it because we can. We make enough for our own use and then sell the rest to pay for a ski trip to the mountains during the winter. This year we had a new wrinkle thrown at us as the wife had put the bales up for sale on some site and I received a call from a lady who lives 10 hours away. Seems she is getting married the end of August and wants bales for seating her guests[Weirder than a plaid rabbit]. She is getting married 20 miles away from our house and I asked what she planned on doing with the hay when done. she had no idea so I suggested we would charge her $2 per for the use of the bales[+ the dollar I paid the kids to haul,stack and tarp them] and she would also have to pay the lads $3 per to haul them to and from her venue. To my total amazement she called this morning agreeing to the terms. Works out to $6/bale and she wants 150 which made sure that what I seen Sunday morning at 5am is true.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2016, 14:42 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Enjoyed the post and all the pictures TT. The pink background with a rainbow was unique.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2016, 14:57 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Yes, very nice photos. Enjoyed them so much. ;)

FREEDOM~LIBERTY

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2016, 18:32 
Trapper
Trapper

Wow, those are some really, really bug marshmallows!

Man, you are a super good marshmallow farmer dude!

:--o