Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 09:57

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Auction
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2016, 00:31 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Looking for deals is tough this time of year for me as now is when I earn my living money for a year in just a few weeks. I did however get the day off due to rain yesterday so it afforded me the chance to go to an auction only 30 miles from home. The stuff they were selling was from an old fellow that died 20 years ago. He was a farmer/rancher and was legend in his meticulousness for looking after stuff. First thing I bought was the first lot of old lawn chairs, there were 8 of them and I got them for $10. I sat on one and I rented the rest out for $3 or a cheeseburger each. I then paid four dollars for a box that had a new telecommunication device that the kid had to try out immediately upon arrival home.

In the box was also a new ride for the wife.

and a new knife that is exactly like her old one that is about wore out.

I also bought a set of harness so the wife can pull a plow or whatever for $25. Last time I bought a similar item I sold it to a lady from the city for $900 so she could display them in her yard.
I got a set aluminum ramps for loading a quad or whatever in a pickup for $30. 5 old 5 gallon oil tin/steel pails for $5 that I will keep 3 of for boiling chickens in and sell the other two as they are fair rare. I thought I was buying a spray doc for $2 but I bid on the wrong box and got a freaking new lawn fertilizer that I sold for $10. Bought everything along one wall from the light socket to the door for $35 and sold 2 gopher traps that were in the huge pile for $40 to an idiot. There were tools/hammers, bolts and near everything in the pile that filled one truck. We then went outside where the rain had let up to go sell the old tractors that was my reason for going. The old 35 Massey with 7746 hours showing and the cable from the generator to the tach was missing so who knows the true hours sold for $4600 and it was in no better shape than mine that cost $1900. Then the reason I was at the sale a 165 Massey sold[I had wanted this all spring even though I bought one a month ago] and I quit at $5800[cause the clutch appeared very near the end of it's life and it had been the fellows work horse for years, still in great shape outside but could be wore inside] and it brought $6,400 with over 8,000 hours, the one I bought was $5,500 and has 2600 hours.
Then came the old trucks a 1980 Dodge that wouldn't start[I suspect old gas] that brought $4,700. Then a 1977 250 Ford pickup with a 300 inline 6, 4 speed manual that my 15 year old kid had fallen[prospectors animal] over tea kettle in love with. The truck had 74,000 miles on it and purred like a freaking kitten so I figured anywhere from 7 to 9 grand. They started at 2 and my lad who stands 6'5" put his hand up so everybody knew he was bidding and all the folk there just seemed to let the young guy have it for $2,900. :D
You see Donny has gone to auctions and such with me his whole life and is known as great helper and a friendly kid. He was so happy he then helped[he did it all] a 70 year old carry 20 cement blocks from the back of the quanset to the guys truck and even enlisted the help of his 19 year old buddy to carry and load a washing machine and dryer from the same quanset. The old boy told them if they ever needed anything driving by Rosythe to stop in and he's help them.Then to the amazment of no one at the sale a 15 year old jumped in his new truck and headed home.

The lad and his truck that he was washing[truck was clean] when I pulled in the yard 10 minutes behind him.

Post subject: Re: Auction
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2016, 09:28 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

That is one clean "used" truck! He made himself a real bargain. Funny the body styles had changed so little in 10 years. I had a 1967 that had a very similar body style.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2016, 14:50 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Nice truck !! Did the wife like her vibrator thingy ?

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2016, 18:29 

I'm always impressed by your dealing TT. But, like Doc said, what did wife think of your deal making? :--D

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2016, 21:28 

The vibrator thing was a vehicle vacuum and the wife was tickled pink with most of the buys. The knife is exactly the same as her old wore out one. She now thinks she deserves a truck so I called a fellow about an old one today. More to come on this one. :lol:

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2016, 17:42 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

glad someone cleared up what that playboy thingy is. lol.
Nice truck. I've always enjoyed old trucks. When I lived in NW Penna I had a 1948 dodge pick up. I swore I'd never get rid of it unless I found a nice panel truck. Well darned if I didn't find a 48 dodge panel.
Anyway, lots of good stuff ya found ! SCORE !!!!

FREEDOM~LIBERTY

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2016, 16:51 

Got home yesterday to see this.
Donny and buddy changing the heater core in his truck. Does a fellow good to see younguns willing to do their own work.

The fellow with the baler and rake I was dealing on with the idea I'd dessicate this fall in trade told me we wouldn't do any dessicating this fall cause he has too many wash outs that will just wreck my machine[I'm loving this guy] so he asked if $500 would be ok for the baler and rake. I reached in my pocket and pulled out the cash. I then got the baler home and washed it up and put it online for 5 grand[guy coming to look at it tonight]

new Holland 425

Then he ask's if I wanna buy a truck and I ask what kind. He says about a '62 International 2ton that got parked where it is 20 years ago. I suggest $200 and he held out his hand palm up, so I reached in the pocket again. When we picked up the baler I drove the equipment line and found my new truck.

Along with a few other things.

The fella says if I can sell any of his stuff I'll get half the proceeds. Living off the land so to speak is kinda/sorta fun.LOL
My oldest lad is running the sprayer today so I got time to talk on here before I start haying tomorrow.

I also bought another '84 the other day but ain't got a pic yet.

PostPosted: 25 May 2017, 11:04 

Ain't been doing much up here but work the last month except making old trucks run by stealing parts off other old trucks. Seems my youngest lad has been paying attention to what I do to live poorly. Other day I got a call from a farmer who lives 30 some miles from us and he asked if it was my boy he had met in an old 70's style truck, and if it was, I was to have the lad call him.
Well Donny called Skip and took off running to hook up to a trailer and gone. :shock: Seems Skip had a couple 77's he didn't want and Donny could have them for the hauling. A couple hours later Don was back with this

Little bum didn't even have the truck unloaded before he changed out the grille halves to make his whole again. He also found another fellow with 3 of these old trucks who gave them to him for removal. The lad will haul all but one of them home for either fixing up or parts as he has already sold one for $1000 and has the job of putting tires on it for the buyer for another $150. He will also sell parts to this other person, so it seems he has started his own small business just by being cheap. :clap: . Sounds like he wants to surround the market as he asked if I wanted to go 300 miles away to look at another he found but I'm kinda/sorta digging in me heels about this one. :roll:

PostPosted: 26 May 2017, 10:27 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

looks like some good stuff...

PostPosted: 26 May 2017, 11:06 

Chief the fact he is doing this instead of so many things that none of us would be proud of makes me smile.
Second one home.

PostPosted: 26 May 2017, 16:02 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

heard that TT,theres so much stuff young folks can get into these days.pickup trucks are a good thing.

PostPosted: 26 May 2017, 21:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I started to go to Boy Scout Camp down along the bluffs of the Missouri River (reservoir) in southeast South Dakota in 1974 when I first joined and went there 1 week a summer for the next 8 years. This camp is about 400 acres and had a full-time ranger named George P., a soft-spoken, never get too riled up Czech guy who had become the ranger soon after the camp opened in 1957. Even though I was a camper, I got to know George during that time and even more so when I was the field sports (shooting) director at camp the summers of 1984, 85 and 87. I don't know when they got George the 78 4x4 Ford pu, maybe they bought it new, but he loved that truck and babied it or probably should say used it wisely doing his duties. When I was finishing up the '85 season, George was retiring after nearly 30 years as camp ranger. The guy who replaced him him was totally opposite, a high energy but don't really think before you do things kind of person. He was a good guy but just had a whole different style than George. Glenn basically wrecked that grand old '78 Ford in about 3 years time being the camp ranger. I'm sure George just shook his head and smiled a bit, thinking how long that truck would have lasted him if he had been a younger guy.

They don't make too many guys like George P. anymore nor tough old pick-ups that will last a lifetime if cared for right. trappintime, tell your boy he did good...

Genesis 1:26