Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 19:35

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Eyes"
PostPosted: 23 May 2016, 17:27 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

So I went fishing with my youngest and biggest fisherman buddy. 322 miles in an old Ford got us to the lake where we spent 3 nights and a couple+ days of fishing. We caught mostly Walleyes with a spattering of Northern Pike thrown in just to break the monotony.
We caught over sixty of this size and larger Walleyes. Donny caught a 15, 13 and 12 lb Northern pike of the dock. :roll:

There were scads of these black cormorants[I think] around along with Grebes, Pelicans, Loons, ducks and Geese.

Water was cool as ice was not many days ago.

Dang fish are great just outta the water as we did a Pike/Walleye taste test.

Even fish gotta put up with their form of Liberals.

and other little issues.

Never saw any rain on the trip but my rain gauge showed 4.25 inch's when I got home which is a life saver for my area. We were up much nearer the fires at Fort Mac and there was a lot of smoke in the air.

Post subject: Re: "Eyes"
PostPosted: 23 May 2016, 18:56 

Dandy walleyes!! Enjoy your fishing trip TT!

PostPosted: 23 May 2016, 20:13 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

awesome !! Good eatin there. Do you all smoke fish or freeze them ?

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 23 May 2016, 20:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Looks like a blast!! Your own boat or did you rent one at the lake (don't remember if you've ever said you owned a boat but with all your wheeling 'n dealing, you probably do)?

Your walleyes have both characteristics that I see down here as well as those found in the north woods Canada ones I've seen. I've seen some of those that look like a gold Rapala with almost black-green on their backs. Yours just a tint of gold in them. Ours have even less. Couple of your fish have about a third of the length in their head/gills, typical of slower growing. Ours have a shorter head to-rest-of body ratio and often with fat hanging bellies outside of spawning time. A lot of bait fish in most of our farmland-drained lakes. Of course, most of them have little natural walleye reproduction so thanks to the SD GF&P in keeping those lakes stocked!!

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 23 May 2016, 20:48 

Doc, we eat them fresh as our limit's are small.

PC, the one thing I bought was a boat when the youngest was 5. I've always had one but this one is a wee mite more reliable.

PostPosted: 24 May 2016, 06:39 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Another enjoyable fishing trip through words and pictures! Looks like it was a fun time for you and your Lad. Thanks for the post.

PostPosted: 25 May 2016, 12:21 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Nice catch Trap. I went over and drifted for walleyes on our local lake a couple weeks ago and never had a bite. I will probably run over on Friday and try again. I think I was a little early yet and the fish hadn't moved up on the flats yet. When the fish get on the flats we drift and troll using a jig/crawler setup.

PostPosted: 25 May 2016, 19:57 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Outstanding fishing trip TT. Very nice walleye and looks like you all had fun. Was that the opening weekend for walleye in Alberta. Ours was this past weekend and the little lady and I went and fished the wabigoon in front of our house. She ended up with sun stroke after fishing on Saturday. Cant remember the last nice opening weekend that hasn't rained or snowed. Seemed like the whole town empties for opening of walleye season.

PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 09:32 

wolf1199 wrote:
Outstanding fishing trip TT. Very nice walleye and looks like you all had fun. Was that the opening weekend for walleye in Alberta. Ours was this past weekend and the little lady and I went and fished the wabigoon in front of our house. She ended up with sun stroke after fishing on Saturday. Cant remember the last nice opening weekend that hasn't rained or snowed. Seemed like the whole town empties for opening of walleye season.

Wolf, I was fishing in Sask as I prefer there to here. I don't even know when our fishing season started here.LOL Been so long since I fished in the spring I quit paying attention. I do know it is happening again unless I die. :shock: :shock: