Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 11:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rough Day
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2016, 21:31 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Today started off normal, then my Wife received a frantic call from one of her renters saying the house next door, another of my Wife's rental was engulfed in flames. Even with the local fire departments quick responses and well intentioned efforts, the place was a total loss. This rental happen to be rented by my Wife's daughter and 2 of our granddaughters. The girls were in school and the daughter at work but their 2 little dogs were trapped inside and died. Although there were a lot emotions shared today, it all turned out well that no humans were injured and the family is here with us until they can relocate. I know some of you have had losses due to fires and understand the situation well.

Post subject: Re: Rough Day
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2016, 22:20 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

If they need anything I can send down there let me know Swamp. This really sucks. :cry: Been there. Hug the kids and tell them as bad as it is, all the material things can be replaced.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2016, 22:29 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Thanks Trappintime, folks have been real giving with them already. They have school clothes and girly needs taken care of. Once they relocate we'll hustle them up some household items. They are just a bit dazed for the moment.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2016, 22:50 

I believe they are Swamp. Worst part of a house fire is all the little things a person collected for certain jobs or such. To this day I still think I got the perfect tool in the drawer by the sink only to remember I don't. :cry:

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016, 04:05 

Thank goodness your wife's daughter and kids are fine. I feel real bad at the loss of their pets.

Just like TT said, whatever help that may be needed to send down I would like to help.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016, 08:37 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Swamp,thats a shame ,.glad the girls are all safe.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016, 13:42 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Glad no one was hurt. Tough loss though. Many older trailers were wired with aluminum wiring. Aluminum will expand and contract much more than copper and connections will become loose after some time. This can cause excessive heat and can start a fire. The switches and outlets that were rated for use with aluminum have not been available for years. All switches, outlets, and other devices should be pigtailed with copper, from the device to the aluminum conductors. The outlets and switches available today are NOT rated to be used with aluminum wiring. Smoke detectors are also a good idea to add, if not already installed, and don't forget to test them monthly and change the batteries twice a year.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016, 17:17 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

remrogers wrote:
Glad no one was hurt. Tough loss though. Many older trailers were wired with aluminum wiring. Aluminum will expand and contract much more than copper and connections will become loose after some time. This can cause excessive heat and can start a fire. The switches and outlets that were rated for use with aluminum have not been available for years. All switches, outlets, and other devices should be pigtailed with copper, from the device to the aluminum conductors. The outlets and switches available today are NOT rated to be used with aluminum wiring. Smoke detectors are also a good idea to add, if not already installed, and don't forget to test them monthly and change the batteries twice a year.

Thx Rem, no one was home so I don't know if the smoke alarms went off. Rentals are required here to have operational alarms. It actually was a newer trailer and I think it had copper wiring. The Fire Marshall hasn't been by to give us his opinion on the matter yet.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016, 18:49 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Sorry to hear of the fire. Thankful that your family wasn't hurt but certainly a bummer for the doggies and personal stuff. It just goes to show how our normal lives can be turned upside down any time. Every time we walk out the door may be our last. Never know...

When I was probably 1st or 2nd grade, my uncle and aunt and their 5 girls stayed with us for about a month after their rental old farm house caught fire during the winter. It could have been a tragedy but their cats that were in the basement knocked off some glass canned goods trying to get away from the smoke and woke up my uncle. He carried down his youngest, about a kindergartner at the time, from the upstairs as smoke started coming up through the seams between the walls. A lot less plastic and other nasty stuff in that house back then. They probably wouldn't have made it out nowadays with all the toxic stuff in modern smoke.

Rem- You're right about that nasty aluminum wire in mobiles of a certain age. When I was a junior in college, I was living off campus in an old trailer but the first one was pretty stout, built in '65 it was made out of plywood and had Cu wiring, just not much umpf to get heat down to my bedroom. The guy we were renting from got convicted of some sort of grand theft (maybe taking old mobiles and paying for them?) and we got kicked out of that one but there was another, a 1974, in the same trailer court that we could rent for the rest of the school year. Quality of the build had changed during that decade between the 2 trailers were constructed, particle board floors in the second one and as we found out Al wiring. We left for spring break in March and came back to the trailer to find the refrig plug melted to the outlet. Took off the face plate and sure enough the connection to the Al wiring had become loose causing a short. Luckily it stopped by causing the frig to blow a fuse and a fire never started. I have been suspect of Al wiring ever since...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016, 20:10 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Hate to hear that Swamp, but sure glad everyone is safe. Shame about the pets though.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 01 May 2016, 14:47 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

That is terrible swamp. Everyone is safe is the main thing. Unfortunate for the pets. Family artifacts are lost which will never be replaced but over time you rebuild and move on.

PostPosted: 03 May 2016, 12:06 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Glad to hear the kids are ok Swamp, too bad about the dogs though. If we can help in any way let us know.

PostPosted: 03 May 2016, 15:36 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Thanks everyone, people around here have really helped out and it has been appreciated. I think they are okay now with plenty of clothes and other necessities. Like I said, people have been very giving and as soon as they find another place to rent, they will start setting up housekeeping again.

PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 08:53 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Well the trailer fire wasn't a complete loss, I took some of the salvaged siding and went down to Camp Winky yesterday and used it to cover the OSB siding that was getting a bit "aged". I think it makes the old camp look a lot newer.

I forgot to mention that it was in the 80s yesterday with little wind down in the woods. Lots of mosquitoes and I saw only one snake and that was as I was leaving.

PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 09:07 

From the ashes a new forest grew.

Looking good Swamp. :D

PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 23:38 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Good to hear some use out of the mobile home remains. Looks like some decent 2x4s still left on that side of the "trailer". ANy hope in rehabing the mobile or it is just going to get knocked apart...?

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 27 May 2016, 05:59 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

NonPCfed wrote:
Good to hear some use out of the mobile home remains. Looks like some decent 2x4s still left on that side of the "trailer". ANy hope in rehabing the mobile or it is just going to get knocked apart...?

The 2X4s aren't actually full sized, but there are plans to salvage most of them. The metal is being taken to the scrap yard but the prices seem to be at rock bottom around here. No plans to try and rehab any of it.

PostPosted: 27 May 2016, 08:37 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Looks good Swamp, what kind of snake was it?. Do you have to clean up the fire mess or does the insurance cover the cost of tearing down and hauling away.

PostPosted: 27 May 2016, 12:25 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

wolf1199 wrote:
Looks good Swamp, what kind of snake was it?. Do you have to clean up the fire mess or does the insurance cover the cost of tearing down and hauling away.

The snake was some sort of racer and was gone before me and the Judge could get out of the truck.

The cleanup comes out of the rental business funds, the insurance already settled and a replacement trailer purchased. This bad weather will set the removal back a bit.

PostPosted: 27 May 2016, 18:50 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

THE JUDGE, I KNOW THAT WELL