Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 15:45

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slow
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2016, 00:32 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

End of the season, disappointing prices, getting the gardens started. Been pretty slow here on the forum.

Post subject: Re: Slow
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2016, 05:46 

Yes Rem, this past trapping season was disappointing to say the least.

The problem is, I can't even get the garden started, it's 16 degrees with a couple of inched of snow on the ground. :evil: We had a beautiful early spring in March then April hit with snow and cold temperatures nearly every day.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2016, 12:58 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

After the wettest winter recorded, we have had above average temps. Had two days of mid 80's. Have peas, radishes, spinach, chard, and kohlrabi up out of the ground. Rain is headed our way for the next three or four days, then back to the sunshine.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2016, 13:31 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

We got grass thinking it should turn green. Garden could be worked. Have not even started a tomato yet.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2016, 14:13 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

I tilled my garden and it's been snowed on twice since then. :roll:

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2016, 15:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Our grass is still white and will be for some time yet. Ice fishing is still going strong.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2016, 16:09 

wolf1199 wrote:
Our grass is still white and will be for some time yet. Ice fishing is still going strong.

I heard of two vehicles going through the ice in Alberta. :lol: :lol: I always laugh when people are so lazy they would rather die/lose a vehicle than walk. :wink:

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2016, 18:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Rem-

The grass is pretty green here. I might even have to mow before May 1 this year. Nothing going on in the garden yet as its usually below freezing at night (down to 19 F Thurs morn). Its supposed to be a below ave temp week this week. Good luck on your garden, it sounds like you're off to a good start. How soon do you think you might have to start irrigating it after this next week? I know you guys dry out pretty quick after the spring.

I did a work field trip to the Idaho Snake Plain a few years back. The only region where I've seen them irrigate small grains. On the Great Pains typically a farmer can get enough spring rain to finish out wheat and other small grains without turning on the sprinklers. It appears that the Snake Plain gets almost no precip after about the middle of May...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2016, 08:33 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

trappintime wrote:
wolf1199 wrote:

I heard of two vehicles going through the ice in Alberta. :lol: :lol: I always laugh when people are so lazy they would rather die/lose a vehicle than walk. :wink:

Yep some people never learn except the hard way. we still got 12 to 16 inches of
ice depending what lakes you fish. Still good for bike or snow machine.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2016, 13:28 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Ahhh, the smell of rain finally ! It's been so dry here in E.Co. This is the first slow, soaking rain we have had all winter. Even our snow falls were nothing more than heavy dustings. We've had temps up in the 80s already with most days in the 70s.

I have a brick planter that surrounds my patio where I've planted swiss chard and summer squash seeds. A couple months ago we scored several plastic 55 gal containers that Im cutting in half sideways and going to use as planters for other vegies.

For so very many seasons I've turned my gardens by hand, just not up to it this year. Not sure if Im being lazy or just listening to myself when I say NEVER AGAIN. !
When I lived in Mt along the Musselshell I had a wonderful Troy Horse tiller with HIller attachment. After years of planting in long rows I went to wide row, raised bed, broadcast planting. Less work weeding and better drainage.

I was hoping to plant mostly root, storeable crops like sweet potatoes and winter squash. Might still happen. I sure can't blame the weather here for my lack of gardening ambitions.
"Lets see now, which would i rather do, dig my garden by hand or go riding?". No brainer ! LOL.
Put 12,000 miles on my bike since last Nov.
Still not too late to get things started. Happy gardening Ya'll !

FREEDOM~LIBERTY

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2016, 21:57 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Have mowed the lawn twice so far. Finally cooled back to more normal temps this week and rain expected. Next Saturday will be pushing 80 again. Don't know if we will have a spring or just bust out into summer. Summer usually gets here around the 5th of July, but will need to see how it develops. Will water as needed.

MSG,

Never tried raising sweet taters, but regular spuds did fairly well.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2016, 23:35 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Ive grown regular spuds too. I planted in the ground as well as planted using stacked tires.
I recently received a seed catalog with sweet tater starts.
One trick ive used for getting rhubarb to taller is to put the barrel of an old washer
Around them. I guess you could use anything but the white
Reflects light to the new lower leaves.
Everyone know the difference between open and closed pollinated
Seeds?
Bought some brussels sprout seeds todAy.
Would have bought some berry bushes @nd grape vines but we both were given $86. FAILURE TO COME TO A COMPLETE STOP tickets. OUCH !$!

FREEDOM~LIBERTY