Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 07:44

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: B & B in co.
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2016, 12:24 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

So how is the trapping and hunting in NW Penna?

Of course the NW is one of my favorite places but my all time favorite place I lived was in NW Penna. I love the hardwood forests, clear rivers especially up in the Cooks Forest and Allegheny National Forest area.

Prairie life doesn't offer much in the way of hunting or fishing or recreation period. Traveling to the mountains for trout means a two hour drive one way.
Ive spent the last twenty some years tanning elk and deer hides for income. Hide buyers have a monopoly on hides from wild game butcher shops so its nearly impossible to buy hides through them. So that means no extra income for me and i do need extra income badly.
Having had both knees and hips replaced I quilify for disability. I inquired as to how much money I can make if I find part time work, before my SS is reduced. $65 per month. wtph. !
I have a friend in Michigan who puts a barrel at the end of her drive way and gets more hides than she knows what to do with, and from what I remember there's no shortage of white tail in Penna anywhere.

Im out of my element here on the barren plains of eastern colorado. The major cause of death around here is from respiratory diseases from the dust that continuously blows on the wind, dust full of pesticides from years of mindless spraying by farmers and radiation from mindless bomb experiments south of us. Just west of us in the direction from which the winds nearly always blow is a large OLD chemical weapon storage area which is suspected leaking chemicals into the air and ground water.

I have many fond memories of living in NW penna. hunting squirrel for supper and digging sasafrass roots for tea, wild mushrooms for soups, clean fish that don't taste muddy, An occasional abandoned old homestead with an old apple tree still producing. There are few wild edibles here.
The longer Im here on the prairie, the more unsettled I become. Im not content to sit around my house and watch videos for intertainment. I haven't owned a tv for years for that reason.
I hate the ssdd trap and boy am I ever snagged up in one. I like to DO things, hunt, fish and trap and be surrounded by the beauty of a forest. I regret getting stuck here on my way west. But if I do get a chance to change my surroundings to what better suits me, I won't be going west but in a NE direction. I will be heading to NW Penna where I can be me again.
blah blah blah. :) Just like a woman huh? :roll: You bet !!! 8) Im easily bored and thrive on adventure. Bored and itchieBA in Co. :mrgreen: :lol:

FREEDOM~LIBERTY

Post subject: Re: B & B in co.
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2016, 15:53 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

I know how you feel MSG. I could not live on the plains, got to have my mountains. 8)

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2016, 16:39 

Well MSG, although I'm in southcentral PA, I can tell you life in the mountains is much better. Now the deer hunting isn't quite like it was the way you remember it. The Pennsylvania Game Commission started an aggressive deer management program about 15 years ago. We now have antler restrictions on bucks, in NW PA they have to have 4 points on one side. As far as trapping, NW PA is overrun with beaver and otters are making a big comeback there.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2016, 21:30 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I have very fond memories of the eaastern Colorado plains. Hunted, trapped, and fished over that country. Folks either love or hate those short grass prairies. I agree that it seems there isn't much there, but you need to look for what is there. You might be surprised at what you find. All depends on perspective and what you want. I do know my wife wouldn't be happy there.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2016, 10:27 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Mountains suck as one requires brakes on a vehicle. Prairie rocks as you can see a good days hike before you begin. I don't have to pull a dead critter uphill and landslides/avalanches are rarer than aliens.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2016, 14:47 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

trappintime wrote:
I don't have to pull a dead critter uphill .

I don't have to pull a dead critter at all................ they roll downhill really well. 8) 8)

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2016, 18:18 
Trapper
Trapper

I live in Central Pa, along the mighty Susquehanna!

I love it, I am close to really good Bass & Trout fishing. Trapping coyotes, fox, coon, mink is just a stone throw away.

I have a cabin in Clinton County and that's really in the woods!

As for deer, the PGC & DCNR really put our whitetail deer population in the pooper! The PGC and DCNR are borderline criminals and good ridden to Gary Alt!

What started the downfall, was slick Eddy Rendell discovered that the lumber business was a billion dollar a year business to PA and he had the DCNR literally rape our forests for his own political programs, when they (Eddy, PGC & DCNR) got flack from sportsman for their garbage, slick eddy passed gambling with the promise to lower taxes from the revenue it created. I have not seen any lowering in taxes yet!

Since then, we have seen an increase in coyotes (to control deer, thanks to the PGC & DCNR) and also the re-introduction of the Fisher (to supposedly control Porcupine's). Don't get me wrong the fisher are cool critters, but they are destroying our Wild Turkey and Grouse populations. Bobcats have also been re- introduced and they don't help either.

All this time, they allow the Birds of prey to flourish and so our muskrat and rabbit populations have also dwindled.

My suggestion to you, is stay out west, at least they appear to be able to manage their wild life and here our game management is run by politicians and the crooked PGC & DCNR.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2016, 19:19 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Roaddawg wrote:

I love it, I am close to really good Bass & Trout fishing. Trapping coyotes, fox, coon, mink is just a stone throw away.

As for deer, the PGC & DCNR really put our whitetail deer population in the pooper! The PGC and DCNR are borderline criminals and good ridden to Gary Alt!

What started the downfall, was slick Eddy Rendell discovered that the lumber business was a billion dollar a year business to PA and he had the DCNR literally rape our forests for his own political programs, when they (Eddy, PGC & DCNR) got flack from sportsman for their garbage, slick eddy passed gambling with the promise to lower taxes from the revenue it created. I have not seen any lowering in taxes yet!

Since then, we have seen an increase in coyotes (to control deer, thanks to the PGC & DCNR) and also the re-introduction of the Fisher (to supposedly control Porcupine's). Don't get me wrong the fisher are cool critters, but they are destroying our Wild Turkey and Grouse populations. Bobcats have also been re- introduced and they don't help either.

All this time, they allow the Birds of prey to flourish and so our muskrat and rabbit populations have also dwindled.

My suggestion to you, is stay out west, at least they appear to be able to manage their wild life and here our game management is run by politicians and the crooked PGC & DCNR.

We're in the same boat Dawg. Our "Game Commission " , a bunch of appointed , not elected, lawyers and political hacks, have decimated our game population. They brought in coyotes to decrease the deer population so the insurance companies wouldn't lose so much money to deer/car collisions. They have increased the bear population to levels that are unsustainable. A fawn has no chance with all the bear and coyotes, eagles, and basically unlimited farmer deer damage permits. They introduced otter into one of the best native trout streams east of the Mississippi , and the trout are being wiped out. I could go on and on. Move out west ? The frickin wolves are wiping everything out in the west. Soon there won't be any game to manage out west, or here either. :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2016, 07:04 

doc9013 wrote:
Roaddawg wrote:

We're in the same boat Dawg. Our "Game Commission " , a bunch of appointed , not elected, lawyers and political hacks, have decimated our game population. They brought in coyotes to decrease the deer population so the insurance companies wouldn't lose so much money to deer/car collisions. They have increased the bear population to levels that are unsustainable. A fawn has no chance with all the bear and coyotes, eagles, and basically unlimited farmer deer damage permits. They introduced otter into one of the best native trout streams east of the Mississippi , and the trout are being wiped out. I could go on and on. Move out west ? The frickin wolves are wiping everything out in the west. Soon there won't be any game to manage out west, or here either. :evil: :evil:

Hey Doc, funny you mention this. I just read either in FFG or PA Outdoor News that the WV DNR is planning Deer and Bear opportunities because of increased populations. I know your bear population is growing like ours is here but you had mentioned how the deer population has taken a nosedive in your area and the new regulations for this coming year won't help.

Sorry for jacking your post MSG for game management rants MSG.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2016, 16:51 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

trapperrick wrote:
doc9013 wrote:
Roaddawg wrote:

Hey Doc, funny you mention this. I just read either in FFG or PA Outdoor News that the WV DNR is planning Deer and Bear opportunities because of increased populations. I know your bear population is growing like ours is here but you had mentioned how the deer population has taken a nosedive in your area and the new regulations for this coming year won't help.

Sorry for jacking your post MSG for game management rants MSG.

I don't know about the rest of the state, but if deer numbers keep declining here, I'll be making jerky out of bear instead of deer. :x

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2016, 21:11 
Trapper
Trapper

I'll be making jerky from Hawks and Eagles!

We have a bunch of illiterate libertards around here who think it's wonderful to see the Hawks & Bald Eagles soaring and rearing their young along the river, meanwhile most of the small game is disappearing along these waterways. I walked about a mile of the north branch of the river last fall looking for muskrat sign and there was NONE, then I went looking for rabbit tracks along this same stretch where the river borders fields after a snowfall and what did I see, HAWKS and no bunnies!

I am as American as anyone and I love our Country and the National Symbol, but it's getting to the point of needing a hunting season for Eagles and Hawks around here.

At least with coyotes and other predators, I can catch them and feel like I'm helping the deer and other critters, but when you walk and see hawks and eagles and are legally not able to control their populations, it makes a guy kind of wonder who the PGC and USF&WS are really working for.

I haven't seen a wild Pheasant in so long, I forget what they look like!

I'm starting to think this is just another end around to slowly kill trapping and hunting in PA.

If left unchecked the decline of the critters that keep the eco system working will continue.

P.S. The PGC also took money from the Insurance Industry to control the deer population and it backfired and they lost many hunters and more importantly to them REVENUE from guys who will never hunt again.