Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 24 Oct 2017, 01:00

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: road kill or dog food ?
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 19:53 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Got this off another site. Wonder what his wife thinks of his breath. :shock: :shock:

ok I had a conversation with some friends during a recent camp out around the fire. They brought their new pup and were feeding it some high end dog food. We started talking about food and what's gross. I said I really found Spam gross. To me it's a gelatinous meat thing that makes chicken nuggets look decent. I said I'd rather eat dry dog food. They thought dog food was gross and would rather eat spam. To me it's a texture thing i guess but i got to thinking. These days the ultra-high end dog food companies are using salmon, duck, brown rice, veggies and berries in their food. it's all human grade, it's all specially and carefully formulated with everything an omnivore needs to thrive. The stuff even has glucosamine, omega 3/6 ratios controlled etc. So i started doing some research. Looked up Blue Buffao Dog food and their high end is a Wilderness grain free deal. We're talking $50 for 25lbs of food so it's not cheap at $2/pound. But i did the math of calories vs $$ and it averages out to a 25lb bag for two weeks of food for a 170lb guy. My wife says I'm nuts and if my breath starts smelling like my dogs then I get kicked out of the house. But i thought it'd be an interesting experiment for a week (and if that goes well maybe a month). I'm still be taking a multivitamin just in case there's stuff not in there i need. I went to the local feed store and picked up a bag of Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon. Yup, primary ingredient is deboned salmon. they a various mixture of chicken and fish meal, complex carbs and various other things but mostly everything on the label i was familier with (unless some of the other food we eat). Today is my first day of trying it. It tastes like dehydrated fish jerky bread. Pretty gross. But I'm gonna stomach it for a day. If i don't feel bad then gonna keep at it for a week....after that we'll see.

but What are your guy's thoughts? I did a quick internet search and I'm not the first with the idea. Mostly paleo folks that can stomach the transition to the flavor.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2016, 07:08 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nestlé Purina PetCare Company (Purina) aren’t the only people suing Blue Buffalo, now consumers have jumped on the litigation bandwagon and Blue Buffalo is getting slammed by a multitude of lawsuits alleging deceptive advertising practices. The growing number of lawsuits filed against Blue Buffalo keep growing and they are claiming, among other things, that the company falsely represented that their pet food does not contain ingredients – such as chicken/poultry by-product meals and corn – when it appears as if Blue Buffalo’s pet food might actually contain those ingredients.

Because of the number of class action lawsuits involved the U.S. Judicial Panel on Multi-District Litigation has agreed to consolidate seven false advertising class action lawsuits filed against Blue Buffalo Co. Ltd. for misleading customers about the ingredients in its pet food. They alleged that Blue Buffalo misled its customers by claiming its pet food products did not contain any chicken by-products, corn or grain and led them to pay premium prices for the pet food. The class-action lawsuit was transferred to another court where several related lawsuits making the same allegations will be heard together......
Blue Buffalo then claimed they were duped by their supplier, by publicly revealing that contrary to prior assurances, Blue Buffalo admitted that ingredients from their supplier did in fact contain poultry by-product meal after all — proving that the central allegations in Purina’s false advertising lawsuit against them. Despite Blue Buffalo’s admission, no mention was made about taking steps to recall the mislabeled pet foods, nor to compensate the millions of consumers that purchased the falsely labeled products........think I would stick to fresh road kill.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2016, 16:22 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Here's what the dude said yesterday :

"
I've actually got past the basic "dog food taste" but the old fish taste is killing me...."

I always thought once you got past the fish taste you had it licked. :? :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2016, 19:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

that guy must not have a very strong stomach.. :)