Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 02:52

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Road Kill Jack
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 16:14 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

About a month ago, on a very cold morning, we were on our way to town and saw a large animal dead on the road ahead of us. Drawing near we saw it was a very large Jack Rabbit.

No traffic coming in either direction and he hadn't been smooshed, so I jumped out of the truck and tossed him in the back.
We went home and proceeded to dress him out. Innards all looked good and no "bad" smell at all. Quartered him washed pieces really well. Dried and lightly floured him, browned him, and proceeded to cook him in a pan on the wood stove. He had very dark, rich, meat. John assured me that the Jacks he'd eaten in So. Cal also had that dark, rich meat.
I'll eat almost anything, but the meat was just too much for me, much to John's delight. So he ate the balance and we added water to the pan drippings and poured it over my dog's food.

Well I was sick for two days and John sick for nearly four. After a couple of days, We thought we'd go out for dinner and get some good food in our bellies but when the food was placed in front of us, neither of us could get past one or two bites.
Dog sick a couple days too. Pretty bad when the dog even gets sick.

Pretty much cured me from eating Jack rabbit or most road kills. So the appearance of the innards and the smell of the meat isn't always an indication of the edibility of the meat. Yuck.

FREEDOM~LIBERTY

Post subject: Re: Road Kill Jack
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 16:52 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Dang , hate to hear that . I've eaten a lot of road kill and never got sick, but it was always what I ran over or saw ran over. Never picked up anything I wasn't sure about. Still , it's odd you got that sick assuming it was well-cooked. Could it possibly have been tularemia ? Might have got sick just from skinning it. ?

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 17:30 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

not good ,ive ate a few jacks I didn't think they were that good anyway,glad you recovered....

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2016, 02:38 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

MSG,

I've eaten road killed pheasant, rabbit, coon, and venison. ALL were fresh when picked up and processed promptly. Had no issues. Jack rabbit was caught in a coyote set and was enough to feed three for two days, then we fed the remainder to the dog. It was a bit on the stringy side, and would keep the walls of your stomach from rubbing against each other. Mostly got tired of it. Cottontail is much better.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2016, 21:27 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Alot of jack rabbits were poisoned in the 30s with tuberculosis they still carry the toxin in them cotton tails ill eat but jacks no way they also carry tulerimiea

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2016, 07:06 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

doc9013 wrote:
Dang , hate to hear that . I've eaten a lot of road kill and never got sick, but it was always what I ran over or saw ran over. Never picked up anything I wasn't sure about. Still , it's odd you got that sick assuming it was well-cooked. Could it possibly have been tularemia ? Might have got sick just from skinning it. ?

I had an uncle who came near to dying from handling a "road kill" rabbit that the Dr said had tularemia. I certainly hope that was not the case with your jack.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 14:39 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Jackrabbits are a hare, don't know if all hares have dark meat but jacks do. I've eaten a good number of them back in the day. They certainly have a strong taste, more liverly than say wild non-mallard, non-pintail ducks. Like rem said, it keeps the sides of your stomach apart but bunnies, as a mild white meat, are much better. I haven't ate jack for a long time primarily because they are so infrequent around here anymore. I asked a PhD wildlife biologist once if the SD game agency had done any research on why the jacks' population crashed in the early-to-mid 80s and hasn't recovered, at least in e. SD and he just shrugged his shoulders. Not a money game animal or a warm and fuzzy cute bird or whatever so no one cares.

Tularemia the way I understand it is basically a warm season disease. After a couple of hard freezes most rabbits carrying it should have died off. Jacks do carry a good number of GI parasites (hate to gross you out MSG) and you could have eaten something like that, so if something "wrong" persists, you might want to get checked out. Most of the GI critters stay in the gut area but I've found cysts of whatever in muscle meat of jacks so its important to look that through. If I ever get a jack again, I would cut the back straps off and maybe take a back leg or so and cut it open before I cooked it. Then I'd have my fill of jack for another couple of years :wink:

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 14:51 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

P.S. We have white-tailed jacks in SD. Out further west and southwest its the black-tailed jackrabbit. It looks like their ranges overlap in some parts of the Inter-Mountain West.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-tailed_jackrabbit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-tailed_jackrabbit

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 15:39 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Non I know the basic rule of thumb here is .never eat a cotton tail till after the second frost..i still have one old beagle ..I only went out a handful of times this season..didn't shoot any rabbits ,just let the old guy out for some exercise ..

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 18:22 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Chieftain wrote:
Non I know the basic rule of thumb here is .never eat a cotton tail till after the second frost..i still have one old beagle ..I only went out a handful of times this season..didn't shoot any rabbits ,just let the old guy out for some exercise ..

That's probably a good rule to follow Chief, but I never could follow rules very much. I've eaten lots of cottontails killed before the frost, before we ever heard of tularemia. Even eaten rabbits that had warbles, they are just under skin and scare a lot of people even though they don't affect the meat. Guess I've been lucky but if you are careful and cook the meat good you won't find better eatin.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 21:29 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

doc9013 wrote:
Chieftain wrote:

That's probably a good rule to follow Chief, but I never could follow rules very much. I've eaten lots of cottontails killed before the frost, before we ever heard of tularemia. Even eaten rabbits that had warbles, they are just under skin and scare a lot of people even though they don't affect the meat. Guess I've been lucky but if you are careful and cook the meat good you won't find better eatin.

The old timers always said rabbits were good to eat during months with "R"s in them. I have seen grubs aka wolves aka warbles in them during most every month down here where we don't have hard winters. They may not affect the meat, but they sure affect how I'd feel about eating the meat! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2016, 15:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Our talk must have burned a jack's ears because I saw one today within about 10 miles of my house!!! I have a coon cubbie down in a metal culvert on a township gravel road on the way to work. I caught a coon there around Christmas time so I've kept it set. The problem is that the ditch drifts over every time we have some snow and wind so I dig down to uncover the mouth of the box when I can. I came down the road and saw something that I thought maybe was a snow covered coon just visible under the top of the culvert but thinking about it now I should have know that was about impossible for a c aught critter to come up a snow cut pulling a wooden box out of a snow filled culvert. Anyway, when I got out of the car, a jack-ster jumped up from the little depression that was left of my snow drifted previous dig and bounded down the drainage about 60 yards and stopped. I didn't have my .22 rifle along but don't know if I would have shot it anyway considering they are so rare now in my part of the state. So there still must be a few around to breed even in 90% cropland territory...

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2016, 07:59 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I kill a few squirrels here every year that has warbles ..but never seen a rabbit around here with them..

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2016, 08:27 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Here is what the inside of a rabbit hide looks like just before the "warble" aka "grub" works it's way out.

I am pretty sure I don't intend on eating a rabbit or other animal containing the grubs. :roll: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2016, 10:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

yep that kinda ruins a guys appetite