Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 11:03

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Turkey calls, good ones
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2015, 07:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I became absolutely addicted to turkey hunting this spring! Called a gobbler in from way out and it was a rush! The areas I hunt are fairly high pressure though and I would like a really nice turkey call to set myself apart from everyone else. Any of you guys have a particular call you really like? Not even sure where to shop for a high end call!

BAIT? URINE? LURE? DON'T NEED IT WHEN I'M USING MB'S!

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2015, 09:04 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Not sure an expensive call works any better than a cheap one. There are many call makers out there though. I have high end coyote calls but it is some of the cheap ones that get the job done. :wink:

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2015, 09:52 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Trap is right, you don't need an expensive call. My dad killed lots of gobblers with calls he made out of old pill bottles, with half the lid cut out and a balloon stretched over it. I always carry at least 3 calls, usually more. I always have a box call, several diaphragm calls , and a slate. If one doesn't get their attention, I switch to another. If you know what types of calls most hunters use in your area, use a different one. Good luck.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2015, 10:09 

But a nice looking call is fun to look at and can make others envious. :twisted:

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2015, 11:18 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

I'm no expert on turkey hunting or calling , but I have found over the years that your setup is more important than what call you use or even how good you can call. A great setup will get you a gobbler even if you are not great at calling , but a poor setup may cost you a gobbler even if you call like a pro.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2015, 14:05 

A member on here, davytune, makes beautiful turkey call that sound great. He hasn't been on in a while but he had a give away a couple of times and Doc and I were lucky winners. I use his call quite a bit and they sound great plus they actually work.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2015, 20:22 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Come back Davytune!

BAIT? URINE? LURE? DON'T NEED IT WHEN I'M USING MB'S!

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2015, 18:11 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Happy, i cannot count the number of toms ive killed in my lifetime. If there is one thing i have learned, is that the call nor the quality of calling makes a single bit of difference. The worst caller in the woods i have heard to date, were real live hens....and none of the toms had a problem with their calling.

You need to heed docs direction. Learn the birds habits and travel, and set up where they want to go naturally to kill them without a call....then call. Dont over do it. Once he knows you are there, its often best to go quiet on him to make him wonder where that "hen" went, and often will go looking for you. One lil peep out of you though, can cause him to hang up and not finish. He will go to the last place he heard you, just keep quiet and patient. If he moves on, change your position and set up in front of him and try again. You wouldnt have killed him there anyway.

I have called toms in with my natural voice calling, stepping on sticks, using cheap, and expensive calls, home made davy specials, and anything and everything else you can imagine. Ive even used my arm as a type of sock puppet to decoy with mimicking a hens head going up and down as if feeding. Trust me when i say all of it is worthless if im not in the birds line of travel.

I use to carry an arsenal of calls. For years now, i carry one main diaphragm call, and a spare new one in case i lose one. Thats it... all my toms die with one simple mouth call. All they need, is to know i exist as a hen. The rest depends on how well i can set up on the tom, and a slew of them are public ground high pressure birds. Of ten things i would count as important in turkey hunting success, calling comes in at last place. Low importance at best.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2015, 20:37 
Trapper
Trapper

got a single slate thats probly 30 years old I think I paid 8'99 for it
I killed more birds than I can count with that call, if used other calls
over the years but I alwase go back to that one

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2015, 22:12 
Trapper
Trapper

I make turkey calls, and I use a simple scratch box, made from cedar and a piece of natural slate. I make a few others, but that is my go to call.

Amak gave you dead on the exact answer. People that sell videos, show a lot of calling, and I think it helps to sell them. Once he answers you, he knows where you are, and calling more can cause him to not come to you as you are already asking him to do something that is wrong. Hens should move closer to the tom. Also by calling a lot, you will attract cats and yotes, which don't help as they will see them and not come. It is amazing just how close a cat will come to you.

A fantastic combo on wood box calls in my part of the world is black walnut box and purple heart lid.