Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 14:17

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Planting by the signs
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2015, 21:24 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

my grandparents used to plant " by the signs " when planting their garden. They always had a good garden , as near as I can remember. My dad sometimes planted by the signs and sometimes planted when he could, regardless of the signs , and usually had a good garden. I started following the Farmer's Almanac a few years ago, but have had mixed results when following their advice.

Looking at this year's Farmer's Almanac , and comparing it to the theory that you plant root crops when the moon is waning, and above-ground crops when the moon is waxing, it does not always agree.

I'm thinking that planting by the signs might be a mix of superstition and hocus-pocus. What do you all think ?

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2015, 22:51 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

I find if I plant onions by the onion sign I will find onions in that row. :wink:

Actually I never planted by the signs but more by the weather. Usually I try to have the garden planted by May long weekend but if the signs say don't[colder than heck is one sign] then I don't. I gotta believe there is something to the signs just because the tides change too. Will I bet my existence on them, no.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2015, 03:21 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I use to plant by the signs religiously but not as much anymore. Weather and time available is more what i go by now. My ancestors only planted by the signs and had awesome gardens/harvests but i think a lot of it was superstition.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2015, 07:05 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Doc you have to purchase a Government "Green" Almanac to use for planting, the old feed store versions do not work with this Climate Change/Global Warming. :roll:

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2015, 15:28 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Swamp Rat wrote:
Doc you have to purchase a Government "Green" Almanac to use for planting, the old feed store versions do not work with this Climate Change/Global Warming. :roll:

As much as I pay the guvment, shouldn't they GIVE me one ? :shock: :shock: :? :?

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2015, 16:57 

My sign to plant is Memorial weekend. By then we should be frost free but that may be a different story this year.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2015, 19:36 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

I think Trap and Back are right. I always planted by the weather and when I had time , and had much better success than trying to plant by signs.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2015, 12:31 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I plant by the weather, but know of some that swear by the signs. Have already got some of the garden started for this summer. We didn't have much of a winter here in Oregon. Snow pack is next to nonexistent and I suspect a long dry summer with a lot of wildfires. Hope I'm wrong on that. Also hear that spring may be starting there in the northeast. Been a long winter in some places.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2015, 21:42 
Trapper
Trapper

im a firm beliver in planting by the signs, most of the time I have a good harvest
except when mother nature plays tricks on me

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2015, 15:59 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

well Ladies and germs, here are my results of planting , or not planting , by the signs this year. I went by the signs in the Farmer's almanac.

I kept records of what I planted, whether the sign was good or bad, and the result.

Potatoes : planted in a good sign. Had my best ones ever. As I said in another post, I did not cut my seed potatoes this year, I planted them whole, and even with the wet weather, none rotted, and all the taters were big and beautiful.
Carrots, turnips, parsnips, onions : Planted in the good sign, and they all sucked. Planted parsnips and carrots and turnips twice, and they did very poorly. May have been bad seed, may have been the wet weather.
Peas : Planted in wrong sign and they did poorly.
Cucumbers, Planted in wrong sign and they did excellent, and are still producing.

Peppers : Planted in wrong sign, did very well.
Green beans : Good sign, did poorly. Beans were small and only one yield.
Lima beans : Good sign, did poorly.

Cornbeans : Good sign, did great,

squash : Good sign, got very few,

cabbage : bad sign, did good.
corn : good sign, had to replant because the birds pulled it up as soon as it sprouted. Jury is out on the second planting. Stalks look yellow, ears look small, but it is looking better since it is drying up.

As you can see, I had mixed results planting by the signs. Granted , this is far from a " scientific " experiment. The weather played a big role, it was the wettest spring and summer I can ever remember.
I still believe it supports my prior belief that it is really pointless to plant by the signs. I have just as much luck planting when I can, and when the weather allows, taking into consideration the usual timing of the last frost of course.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2015, 16:50 

As long as you don't use the "STOP" sign you'll do fine. :lol:

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2015, 17:58 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

doc- What are "cornbeans" ??

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2015, 18:43 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

NonPCfed wrote:
doc- What are "cornbeans" ??

they are some type of Pole bean, I got the seed from my grandmother, it has been passed down through generations. They planted it so it would grow up on poles or with the corn so it would grow up the cornstalks, like the Indians did. My grandmother always called it cornbeans so I do too. very good beans but you have to shell them and just eat the bullies, the pods are not tender but the beans are delicious. If you would like to try some I would be happy to send you some seed, I save seed every year.