Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 12:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2015, 21:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Just confirms all our beliefs in the unjust health care that still exist in the USA today. My next door neighbor just got back 2 weeks ago from Texas. Was down there over the winter and near the end fell off his bike and broke his leg near the hip. 2 pins and a reset and 4 days in hospital and 4 weeks at there condo before he could make the trip back. Yesterday he got his doctors bill. $88.000. Good thing he took out insurance to go South of the border. Seems your hospitals are in for profit then helping people get better. Sure glad I live up here.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2015, 23:58 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Why would anyone drive all the way to Texas from Canada to try to learn to ride a bike? Sorry your neighbor had such a bad fall and got all broken up. Remember the old adage Wolf, "if you can stand the heat, get out of the kitchen"....same with medical bills. :roll: Things were much better before OBAMACARE was put in place by the Liberals.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2015, 07:49 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Swamp Rat wrote:
:roll: Things were much better before OBAMACARE was put in place by the Liberals.
.....that's a for sure...hope your neighbor heals up Wolf...that sounds about right for the going rate though.my neighbor broke his ankle this spring..one day at the hospital and one trip to the emergency room,meds. x rays....41,000 bucks...

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2015, 08:30 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Holy :shock: :shock:
Busted ankle, eye repair after doing something really stupid :roll: , 11 hours on surgery table and 8 days in ICU to repair aneurism on main artery under heart[bad living] = 0 out of pocket. :wink:

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2015, 10:12 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

trappintime wrote:
Busted ankle, eye repair after doing something really stupid :roll: , 11 hours on surgery table and 8 days in ICU to repair aneurism on main artery under heart[bad living] = 0 out of pocket. :wink:

Yes it sounds like you Canukes have it made on the medical situation....who pays for it? Someone has to pick up the costs.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2015, 10:48 

Swamp Rat wrote:
trappintime wrote:

Yes it sounds like you Canukes have it made on the medical situation....who pays for it? Someone has to pick up the costs.

We pay more tax's and a health care premium in Alberta each month. If you never need a doctor I'd say yours is cheaper but an emergency visit down there seems to be a bank breaker.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2015, 10:54 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

trappintime wrote:
Swamp Rat wrote:
trappintime wrote:

We pay more tax's and a health care premium in Alberta each month. If you never need a doctor I'd say yours is cheaper but an emergency visit down there seems to be a bank breaker.

Thanks TT, I did look around on the internet to see what I have heard is "free" and found similar answers....it is not "free". It is somewhat akin to our school taxes, everyone pays them but not everyone has school kids. I got a good overall picture of the "free" Canadian plan from this person on a blog:

It's not "free." In Quebec, we pay about 15% sales tax on every purchase, and hefty income tax. The highest income bracket (over $150,000/year I think) pays almost 50% income tax. The result is universal health care. Every single Canadian is covered for vital care. There are some notable exception such as ambulance fees, semi-private or private hospital rooms, dental work, some medications, and others. Your first pair of eye glasses is covered, but any others after that, you are responsible for paying for them.

Canada does have a "private option." This may come as a benefit with your job, or you may opt to pay for it out-of-pocket. Private health insurance companies like Blue Cross will cover expenses such as dental work, psychologists, physiotherapy, stress-coping procedures like messages, and ambulance fess, among other things, depending on what kind of coverage you have. The public hospital system is quite crowded--sometimes you have to wait several hours in the emergency room before seeing a doctor, and you might have to wait months to get a specialized non-urgent treatment. Private health insurance companies have their own private clinics where you can always get instant access to health care with no waiting.

Our dual public-private system benefits everyone. Those who have the means can opt for private insurance, but they are still obligated to pay the same taxes into the public system. This reduces the strain on the public system for people who do use it, which is the majority of Canadians.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2015, 12:21 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

http://www.therichest.com/expensive-lif ... the-world/

For you Swamp

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2015, 14:51 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

There is always a piper to be paid. The only difference is do you pay it as something obvious (such as direct bill) or through taxes on everything and a certain cut goes to your health care??

The problem about the cost in US helath care is something that has been developing for a long time (50-70 years) where third party payers (read it private insurance, government programs, whatever) have totally distorted the free market system (how much does it actually cost to fix a broken hip?? we don't really know because there is no direct competition among providers, only what 3rd parties will pay).

In the one case where the medical free market has actually existed recently (laser surgery to correct eye vision from the need of glasses) prices for the procedure actually went down because up to that point (may not be the case anymore) no insurance coverd the cost because it was considered "cosmetic" and so people paid with their real money and would actually compare prices of one provider against another (my wife did sort of the same thingwith the one kid's wisdom teeth last year, our insurance coverd up to a certain amount and to cover the remainder she played 2 clinics against each other and got the one to drop their price). That option barely exists anymore here in the states although some single docs/small clinics are dropping taking insurance (and all the games that need to be played) and have opted to take direct payment only (with prices shown for specific care/treatments). But these are rare.

My emergency room and gall bladder surgery/recovery last year cost about $25K. Of that, I paid about $300 out of pocket total. Then again, between what I pay and what my employer (us gov) pays, I have a "cadillac" insurance plan. If you don't have decent insurance or are covered by one of the main gov programs (Medicare, Medicaid, etc.), you're screwed...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2015, 19:51 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

There is a huge difference from a slight tax increase to help cover our health care from what ever to a huge medical bill that might happen every other year. In my 59 years of living on this planet and same as you gall bladder removal and 3 surgery's as well as many other medical issues as well as travel to distance cities and air travel has been paid for and no cost to me. That alone is an enormous cost that no human being should ever have to occur. Those bills can soon bankrupt any person in short order, Such as the privatisation of all your hospitals has created a need to make money to survive and make profit rather then help the sick. Proven fact, just do some research.
There is a problem with health care as it is getting more expensive as the baby boomer such as my self are getting older and require more maintenance. As you can see Canada is ranked 4th in the world for fair health care for the people. On another web site the US is ranked 37 and Canada 30. I have always been a history buff and if you care to follow up on this you can go back to the Richard Nixon days and see that is where the whole problem started with the US health care system. Communism was a key factor as to your way of thinking and no way was the US government going to follow a government controlled medical system.. Big mistake now as most of the worlds best medical treatments to the ordinary people have far surpassed the Americans privatisation way of medical coverage for all. What we do see is the rich can afford it, some of the middle class and the rest well good luck.

I do have coverage for drugs, eye care and medication and that is through work. Privatisation is no cost to us as it is a part of employment. Everyone in Canada has the same option for health care . Drugs and other things can be covered with a privatisation health care. To give you an example I have friends in Eagle Lake MS that pay over $1300.00 a month to keep their full health benefits. TT would have to pay his private bill as he is independent but he still has full privilege for health care . For my self if the wife was not still working it would cost me $400.00 a month for full dental, eye care and drugs. Other then that no bills for helicopter rides or plane, no ambulance charges. 3 years ago my chum in Eagle lake had to be flown into ST Paul's MS, distance of 120 miles. Bill even though he had medical coverage, 1300.00 a month still had to pay $10.000.00 for flight. That cost would have not happened here.

Over the years Im still very satisfied with our health care system for all in Canada. not just the rich

Good health care for the ordinary person is good. Although we are not the best we do offer a better package then most of the countries.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2015, 21:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Wolf- You know I have great respect for you but I tink I'd need to see some data and analysis on this statement:

Quote:
Big mistake now as most of the worlds best medical treatments to the ordinary people have far surpassed the Americans privatisation way of medical coverage for all. What we do see is the rich can afford it, some of the middle class and the rest well good luck.

I think if the survival rates of chronic diseases are analyzed, I think the US was higher or at least comparable than much of Western Europe and perhaps Canada in the recent past but this may be slipping as the squeeze is on even before Obama care. Then again, its hard to compare the 3rd most populous country in the world to small nations such as Denmark or Norway (do Canadians still consider their nation as "small" with a pop of over 30 million??). Of the countries with over a 100 million people, the US ranks higher in life expectancy than most except Japan (probably not in order after the US: China, India, US, Indonesia, Brazil, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Russia, Mexico, Japan...). Then again, how does one rank quality of life as well---how many 70s and 80-year olds gimping around on canes in Italy because national health care won't spend money on hip or knee replacements on them??). It all tends to subjective to a certain extent in the end.

You might enjoy this "rant" of mine from over on the Scrap Metal Forum in a thread where a younger family guy between jobs was struggling with health care costs. A lot of those guys are independents so less coverage by big group plans. You can tell I might have been a little fired up at the time.

The whole 3rd party paying system needs to be burned to the ground and started over by letting actual market forces of supply and demand take effect. Look at Lasek surgery. Most med insurance won't cover it so its actually been a provider-consumer market and the pirces have come donw considerably since it first came out. After college, I worked for one of the local hospitals when I couldn't find a job with my degree. It had started a system but was still a smaller regional place. Now its a multi-billion dollar affair that has no one overseeing it except a board of a "foundation" (yeah, that's open for public inspection!!). The state pols are in these guys pockets because a lot of out of staters come in for med services and then the famailies go shopping (my state lives by sales tax, the more spenders the better).

My advice is to find a catastrophic plan and then see if there is any at all independent health care providers who take cash only in your area. Not that common but there is a theme rising of some med folks sick of the s*** of being "employed" by the "non-coprorate" corporations and have ditched taking insurance. That's where it needs to begin again. Screw the gov and the third parties. Power to the people!!!

Full article at Scrap Metal Forum: http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/off-topi ... z3dwXFy7fx

Genesis 1:26