Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 01:23

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: gun ?
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2007, 00:08 
Trapper
Trapper

ok guys and gals im going to buy my little bro a gun for christmas im wanting a predator hunting gun around the 222 or 223 range but not either of them i cant seem to find a 222 any more and jsut dont want a 223 casue i already have an AR so what im wanting to get is either a 204 rugger of a 220 swift or some thing along those line i want the most power possable with the least amount of noise possable a 22 horent i already have a .17hmr and it lacks the power im looking for if any one knows any thing about these new calbers let me know i appericate it

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2007, 08:39 
Trapper
Trapper

It will have alot to do with what he is going to be hunting. The 204 is a very fast and explosive round that will give every predator a dirt nap from 200 yards out, the 223 well nuff said,,, It has proven itself over and over out to a 1000 yards... The 22 hornet is a very good all around cartridge that will get the job done as well, all will have about the same recoil as the other with about the same amount of noise. Now the 220 swift will give you a very fast round that will take larger game and still give you the predator killing advantage with out as much destruction of the pelt, but it is very loud in comparisson to the others mentioned.

Me personally I use a 22 magnum for taking predators out to 100 yards, and I when I shoot a rifle shoot a 25.06 for all other game. We are 99.8 % archery for our show and video series but we will take out a rifle once in a while. I also was a police sniper for a year and we were issued a .308 for this, of coarse we never made long shots as a police sniper, but in the school we did shoot out to 750 yards very accurately, and the rifle has very little recoil.

Dont know if this helps but I tried giving my dollors worth (inflation)...

Post subject: Guns
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2007, 14:52 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Studnutts, if it is for your bro, get him the Savage 93 in .223/12ga. full ck. Then you can share ammo if need be and he will be able to use th lower barrel for close range varmints and birds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2007, 20:30 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

id buy the 223 its tried true and very cheap on ammo at cheaperthandirt or other surplusers and as stated you can bum ammo or is him bumming ammo your worry? also with surplus ammo your not as worried about casing loss as with the other calibers with higher brass costs my baby is a 22-250 winchester has reasonable varmint ammo 4000ft per sec and ive grouped 3 inches or less at 300 yards never had the chance for farther but i have no doubts of its performance

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2007, 15:17 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

i would highly recomend a savege 22/250 this is a tuff relighable gun very acurate for deer and varmints, this is also a very cheep gun to shoot

a guy that i hunt with droped his deer at 125/150 yards at a dead run

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2007, 15:23 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

If you want a deer and varmint gun, I'd go with the .243. Or a .270. If you're not worried about recoil and .270 WSM will really go out and touch 'em.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. -Matthew 5:9