Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 01:04

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2014, 02:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Couple of members were chatting on another topic about this so i thought maybe it would be a good topic to cover on its own. If the titles too goofy or not clear enough we can change it. Theres many options for lower grade/value furs and by products, skulls in particular. If you have a method, idea etc post away.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2014, 03:08 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

First thing that came to my mind is what we just did with a low value flat medium badger. Local taxidermist wanted some for mounting. $25 each but no holes, etc. ours wedged itself into a 160(amazed me) so i called him and he said he wanted it. If id processed it and tried to sell it to our country buyer i might have gotten $5-$10. It was very flat and yellow. In the past ive sold a few undamaged badger skulls cleaned for $10-$15. Crafters like the "fearsome teeth" and a sandwich bag brings $5-$10 also if you look around hard enough. "Indian crafters" use them in their "indian artifacts" at flea markets etc around here, bigger the teeth the better but they prefer the big canine teeth(actual canines and badger etc canines). The new modern man with a "man cave" a lot of times wants skulls, Bones, rugs, "indian" shields etc etc. friends have a booth at a flea market up by Bolingbrook and this stuff sells very well. The modern city man likes to display this stuff(hince duck dynasty's popularity) but wont get dirty to get it. You can sell the materials or process it yourself and skip the middle man. We made groundhog "beaver hoops" last year and i think we got $20-$25 each depending on acruments, feathers etc. i know some we just hooped for them and they finished them out. We didnt advertise them as beaver just said real fur, and it was. A lot of this goes for other furbearers too. So i guess the gest of my first post is check with local taxidermists, etc to see if they need specimens. Also check your game laws. Some are very specific on what you can and cant do.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2014, 06:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I read an article in FFG about a guy who sold his coon carcasses on the meat market, I think he got like $2 each for them if I remember right.

Finding out game laws here is hard. Everyone you ask a question to refers you to someone else, or they just say they don't know and that's the end of it.

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2014, 10:04 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Depending on your area of the country Theres been a market for coon carcasses for a long time. Its died out here. Food stamps killed it. Younger generation just goes and buys steak for free. Why spend $2-$5 on a coon carcass when you can get steak for free. I still get requests for coon meat but i dont charge them anymore. We sold them for years though cleaned up and with one back foot left on. Its a money maker if you have a market. We gave many away to some when we bought fur but some we knew were reselling them we charged $1 or two. If we delivered then it was usually $4 each. We set up a few blocks from the former Hayes homes in Springfield and got $5 each all day long but thats been 25 years ago. We eat quite a bit of our catch. Mainly rat and beaver but weve started eating groundhog too. Very clean meat. Coons are ok, but rather rich and greasy. I dont eat possum. Only tried cooking it once but after watching YouTube and seeing it cooked i may try again. Our local VFW's, American Legions, Amvets etc have wild game nights and "Stags". I donate some of the meat whenever they have one. While you dont get "paid"(although they offer me 2 free tickets everytime)it is some satisfaction of helping the veteran organizations and not feeding yotes. Here their usually held in January. I usually just call and ask them when it is and what they need. Coon and beaver usually and we donate deer also. I have donated squirrel in the past and a few rabbits too.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2014, 19:44 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

If you have a population of Mexicans around, you might be able to get rid of yote carcasses too. I recently gave a fresh yote carcass to a Mexican who believes eating yote meat cures all kinds of ailments. He dries the meat somehow , sorta like jerky from what I could gather. Still waiting to hear from him if it helped.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2014, 21:31 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

doc9013 wrote:
If you have a population of Mexicans around, you might be able to get rid of yote carcasses too. I recently gave a fresh yote carcass to a Mexican who believes eating yote meat cures all kinds of ailments. He dries the meat somehow , sorta like jerky from what I could gather. Still waiting to hear from him if it helped.

Obama may have some recipes for coyote, he claims eating dog meat was pretty stringy but delicious. :roll: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2014, 22:07 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Swamp Rat wrote:
doc9013 wrote:

Obama may have some recipes for coyote, he claims eating dog meat was pretty stringy but delicious. :roll: :mrgreen:

Those Africans will eat most anything. :roll: :shock: :--o :wink: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I bet he'd even eat a grinner. :--o :--o Need a gagging smiley here .

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2014, 00:38 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

How'd we get to here? :shock:

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2014, 20:53 
Trapper
Trapper

any advice on developing a market for coon meat?

0/10 mink
0/1 otter
0/1 bobcat
4/5 fisher
0/1 red fox
0/2 grey fox
0/1 coyote
12/20 coon
0/1 weasel

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2014, 01:30 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Advertise in local free papers? Ask around? Word of mouth helps too.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2014, 16:19 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks to Backwoodsmenback for starting this thread great idea a;lturnitives to the fur market as well as uses other than fur is something I have thought about for a while. I think we owe it to the animals we harvest to make the most use out of them we can and I think it can take some wind out of the antis sails with one of there arguments against trapping being that we harvest animals only for fur and the rest goes to waste. That being said I think glands are worth mentioning for use in your own lures or for sale to a lure maker and of course meats such as muskrat and beaver make excellent bait.

0/10 mink
0/1 otter
0/1 bobcat
4/5 fisher
0/1 red fox
0/2 grey fox
0/1 coyote
12/20 coon
0/1 weasel

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 21:50 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

All good suggestions so far. You can also learn to make these yourself.

We did not make these, I sent a yote out to be made into mittens. But they are a way to make some good money. Fairly high initial costs, with getting machines capable of seeing it, scissors, patterns, tanning ability, etc, but if/when you get good at it, you can make some money.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2014, 18:58 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I cant take the credit at all Ab82. Many more had a much bigger hand in on it. CMJ thats a good idea for some. Even rudimentary sewing skills will provide a nice fur garment. Another use ive been busy doing is tallow making. Almost any animal fat can be used and i use it on my black powder guns. Ive now got a few wanting me to make them tallow and tallow holders. Ive used a lot of "holders" traditional and modern but leg bones from deer are the most popular for me)ive even been scrounging leg bones from dump sights). Yote and bigger furbearers would work but of course you wont get as many "containers". Dont over look bartering either. Cash is king and making your own stuff for your use is awesome but bartering can be very cost effective. I wanted a "new" percussion BP shotgun/musket and got one(20ga/.62)this morning in trade(barter) for 7 tanned groundhog "rugs", 2 tanned and very poor color small skunks and about 20 skulls mainly coons and one 6" spike deer cleaned skull. One of the exhibitors for a lot of the BP shoots around here needed some "decor" for his booth. To most, everything he got was scrap or maybe knife handles at best in the case of the spike buck. Fair market value of the gun was about &150-$175(modern utility gun)and i really had no measurable cash in the goods i traded. Just another option for saving stuff from a carcass pile.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2014, 19:31 

Backwoodsmansback wrote:
I cant take the credit at all Ab82. Many more had a much bigger hand in on it. CMJ thats a good idea for some. Even rudimentary sewing skills will provide a nice fur garment. Another use ive been busy doing is tallow making. Almost any animal fat can be used and i use it on my black powder guns. Ive now got a few wanting me to make them tallow and tallow holders. Ive used a lot of "holders" traditional and modern but leg bones from deer are the most popular for me)ive even been scrounging leg bones from dump sights). Yote and bigger furbearers would work but of course you wont get as many "containers". Dont over look bartering either. Cash is king and making your own stuff for your use is awesome but bartering can be very cost effective. I wanted a "new" percussion BP shotgun/musket and got one(20ga/.62)this morning in trade(barter) for 7 tanned groundhog "rugs", 2 tanned and very poor color small skunks and about 20 skulls mainly coons and one 6" spike deer cleaned skull. One of the exhibitors for a lot of the BP shoots around here needed some "decor" for his booth. To most, everything he got was scrap or maybe knife handles at best in the case of the spike buck. Fair market value of the gun was about &150-$175(modern utility gun)and i really had no measurable cash in the goods i traded. Just another option for saving stuff from a carcass pile.

If we had a "Post of the year thread", I'd nominate this one. :D

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 09:04 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

trappintime wrote:
Backwoodsmansback wrote:

If we had a "Post of the year thread", I'd nominate this one. :D

I second it :Does

I had a thought today about making necklaces with the teeth, I might try that and see if I can sell any

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 09:40 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

If you have materials, then it is only your lack of imagination that will limit you on what you can construct from them.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 10:13 

Cool pics swamp. No live illegals in your neck of the woods, eh. :D

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 11:19 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Love those hats Swamp. Our beaver skulls are worth more then the plews this year. Country buyer said $5 Tops for S&D for the better ones. I can sell beaver skulls for $5-$10 usually. Add in castor then we salvage the meat and the plews almost become a by product.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 17:51 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

What kind of teeth are those black looking ones? I like the necklaces I think I'm going to try and make similar stuff, I'm also going to try brain tanning animals like flying squirrels

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 23:06 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

longhairboy wrote:
What kind of teeth are those black looking ones? I like the necklaces I think I'm going to try and make similar stuff, I'm also going to try brain tanning animals like flying squirrels

The black teeth are bear claws. :wink:

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 23:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

When I was telling my cousin about the necklaces, I was thinking, "Huh, those kind of looked like the porcupine claws I have been saving, I should try those out for a necklace" I guess I was starting to get onto the right track, just a little slow getting there ;)

My poor girlfriend, I told her I am going to make her a necklace, but never told her what it would be made of. I am thinking maybe a coyote incisor tooth in the center, with beads and porcupine claws around it. Should make a great impression at school! :lol:

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2015, 08:30 
Trapper
Trapper

Great topic, I agree we owe it to the animals we harvest, to try and utilize as much as we can.. There is some demand for glands of animals, as well as the meat.. We make our own baits and lures so we save the glands and meat rather than sell them.. Porkey pines we catch the quills can be used for jewelry, and the guard hairs for fly tying.. The skulls and bones of others can be sun bleached and used for eye appeal at your sets..

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2015, 09:30 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thank you TT and LHB.. LHB she may absolutely adore it just for the simple fact you made it. I read where some of the northern people/tribes used porcupine quills etc but we dont have them around here. Mainly in " jewelry"?

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2015, 10:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Actually, last winter I made her squirrel foot earrings, she wore them quite a bit till she lost one of them, it fell off when we were out for a walk and we never found it again. I keep forgetting to get the earring things to make a new set. I have a pile of porcupine quills someplace, we don't have a hunting season or anything, but I found a roadkill one and used it for bait once I pulled the claws and some bigger quills. I never thought of the fly tying with the guard hairs, they were quite long.

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2015, 16:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Man, she was really dig you to wear "squirrel foot earrings" :P :P !!! I think something a bit prettier might be something to strive for in the new year. A nice claw or k-9 tooth might be better. Or check to see if your area has "rock shows" or a rock hunting club. Something polished up nice and a hot glue gun could make some very nice earrings!!

Genesis 1:26