Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 15:30

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2014, 07:09 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Well today I got some payback. :D :D
We had a bad storm go through the area yesterday and a fellow North of me had 600 acres of barley flattened by hail and 4 inchs of rain. He called me and asked what he could do and I told him to get a load of fertilizer parked in the field for us to spray on so he could at least salvage a decent feed crop. He did and Bobby went up North with the big tired machine to do the work. Meanwhile I was 25 miles West with the 13 year old doing a 1,000 acres of fungicide on another fellows barley that only got 1/4 inch of rain. About 4.45pm Bob phones and says the generator packed it in a burned the belt off. I said to shut down all nonessential electronics and spray until he was done each load and to charge the battery at the truck each time. He didn't have a set of booster cables so I sent Donny[13] on a 40 mile drive with the fuel truck to help. I got home at 9:30 and found that the boys were nearly done because they came up with the plan of changing out the battery with one from the truck at every fill and thus saved 1/2 an hour charging every 1/2 hour. Not every 13 year old is trustable enough to take off on a 40 mile trip on back roads to avoid the constabulary but he made it and Ma was hopping mad. I doubled their wages for the day on a job well done as the fertilizer needed put on wet ground for the most effectiveness. I met the farmer and his 80+ year old father and they were thankful I had taught the lads to work and he is doing the same with his kids.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2014, 12:47 

That just goes to show that you are doing a great job being a dad! :D

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2014, 14:47 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

A sad fact is that the good ol' American farm boy is a thing of the past.

The valley I live in was agriculture and timber up until about 30 years ago when people started moving in here and ruined our economy. Which is almost entirely dependent on
tourism now. This little area in particular was hit bad by the invasion. Most of the natives have moved away.
But every now and again you will still find one. Probably because they couldn't afford to move lol. More often then not, a good welder/ handyman/ jack of all trades will be a local.
Old, grizzled,cant stand up straight because of a bad back, usually with a cigarette sticking out of their mouth and dirty coffee cup nearby. Growing up and living like we used to, you simply
had to learn the skills to survive. And the people who are moving in here don't have them.

Heck, how many people anymore cannot change a tire?...................Of course on some of these new cars you might get electrocuted trying to...........

The sad thing is, what you are doing isn't common. People aren't passing on these skills. My father was a timber faller for most of his life. I can fall trees well enough. But getting him to show me anything
is about impossible. He does not approve of my trapping. And has a ridiculous amount of paranoia about me doing anything on my own.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2014, 16:31 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice job trappintime!!! Boys out in the big wide open like you have have to grow up fairly quick. Too few people spread out over too much ground for teenage boys to get their hands held. I'm afraid that the wifey and I have held ours a bit too tight. I still have a couple of years to maybe change that...

Woodswalker- You just keep on doing what you're doing. I suspect your independence in doing stuff inwardly warms your dad's heart. He just may not know how to show it at this moment...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2014, 07:47 

WW even a lot of the farm boys are coddled now. I figure if my boys can work for me then they'll laugh working for someone else or be like me and go on their own as I hated working for others who were too lazy to do good jobs.
yesterday

I got that rake 4 years ago in a deal where I spent $100 on an 18 foot swather and the old boy through in the rake to get it outta his yard :D . I ain't never hooked up to one that was in as good of shape before :D :D . I also spent 4 hours and about 12 games of crib making the deal. :lol:

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2014, 09:06 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Awesome story TT, that's the way young men should be raised! I reckon Ma was outwardly "mad" put inwardly PROUD AS PUNCH of the lads. :wink:

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2014, 15:17 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

You've sure taught them well Trap. Good job. 8)

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.