Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 11:32

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gramps and the wolfers
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 17:24 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Got some of Gramps journal cleaned up an ready to post. This is the PG-13 version. Few names i changed, few i just *****. This is a long journal so if you dont like cliffhangers and waiting it may not be for you. I have no idea how long it will take me to transcribe it all. I fixed some errors and some i didnt.. My usual disclaimer.. Different time and different place. I did not add any substance to this posting beyond censoring some. 9-7-9. Its been many days since i put pencil to paper. I left the winter cabin an pulled traps in march. Headed north to new territory. Sold the winters catch in the first town with a railroad. $5 bounty on wolves by the cattlemans association was honored there. Headed northwest and entered territory with nothing bigger then a rabbit. Went to one small town in Montana that was no more then 6 buildings, few shacks an tents. Storekeeper there said game was scarce as the cowboys were hard on the critters. He was curious if i was in town for the hanging. I was not and had no desire to see sucha spectacle. Few nights before 3 red men had drank too much of the devils drink and started celebrating with their belt guns. One bullet had went thru a local girl and killed her married patron. She did live. They couldnt decide which beltgun had killed the man so they were hanging all 3 to make sure. After buying the needs from him i questioned whether there was any work thereabouts. He believed a local rancher in town for the festivities may have some knowledge. After a short while i found and was introduced to a mister Langley that owned the double c ranch. He bought my sup which i was happy to oblige as .20 for the offered grub was too high. The local merchants and shop keeps were shrewd business men. I didnt know hangings were becoming rare. After all the reading i did i thought it was very comon. He did have a Sumer jobfor me at $15 a month setin fence and cutin firewod i accepted. He asked me to stay in town for the night. I didnt care to but didnt want to offend him. He was a nice man. He paid .25 for a room in a tent hotel for me and 2 of his other hired hands..

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2014, 09:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

:D keep it coming

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2014, 21:06 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Please keep going as you get the time. I am really enjoying the reading.

Beaver--2
Muskrat-0
Squirrel-6
Fox------2
Coon----1

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2014, 21:46 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Sounds great so far !

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2014, 09:19 

Cool stuff. Keep typing!

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2014, 14:14 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

The uproar and celebrations made sleep hard that night. We were up and on the street for breakfast too soon. Sign at the restaurant had hanging bfast .25. Mr Langley paid for our breakfast and left us to our repast. Upon his return we learned me. Langley had approached the constable and convinced him mercy and a fair trial were in order. There was some clamor to go ahead and hang all 3 but calmer people prevailed. To shorten my writing in a few weeks that followed 1 of the red Men took the responsibility and was convicted and sentenced to 5 years at hard labor. The other 2 were released an were happy to ride away like their buts were on fire. That night besides the hands heavy drinking and their new girlfriends that appeared when they learned mr Langley had paid the hands it was quiet. Me Langley insisted we attend church sunday morningbefore leaving for his place. It was a long hot summer with few happenings to break the boredom. Late July i had been out for 4 days set in fence n reparin some and returned for more fence and supplies as i was camping amongst the herd and tendin fence. Parked in the front of me langleys house was a wagon of some sort and i dont believe i had seen such a rig yet in my life. When i rode into the yard several hands seemed excited about the company but several others were not. Our black cook Rub and me langleys housekeeper maria who was obviously born south of us 60 years ago if not longer were in quite a discussion. Rub said theys gypsy *trash* and should be ran off. This later in the afternoon and they had arrived about noon. Rub told me to check our bunks and make sure everything was put up as these were thievin *trash*. Some called our bunk a bunk house but it was a house in name only as having 4 walls, a roof of sorts and a door. I checked to make sure my rifle an kit were under my bed as i carried my double barrel and convartd colt navy. At first my smith n Weson couldnt be found but i then remembered it wa rolled in an extra blankt. The gypsys were a friendly gay type.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2014, 17:14 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Love it. Keep it coming Backs. :D

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2014, 13:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Different time.. Different place.. The gypsys were quick at making themselves at home. Within the hour they were planning on staying for supper. They had asked mr Langley if they could stay a few days and being a Christian fellow he agreed a few days was fine. That did not sit good with Rub. He cussed quietly and said the gypsy "trash" would steal everything. I found Rub funny for saying that. Hes a good man though. Noone seems to know his story beyond he was a son of slaves or an escaped slave. He can cook for sure. Mr Langley approached rub to buy one of his hogs he kept fenced in a little wash behind the house and barns. Rub said hes kill and burn his **** hogs before he let gypsy "trash" eat'em. Eventually mr Langley calmed rub and they agreed in $3 for a young hog. When me Langley announced to the gypsys that pig was for supper quite the commotion ensued. The leader or at least the oldest of the gypsy men which i could not understand and his name was impossible to say without a mouthful of what comes out of a hog was very excited about something. Eventually i learned gypsys dont eat hog. They wanted beef. Mr Langley said they could eat pig or go hungry. They decided pig sounded good and Rub butchered 70lb hog. Maria Cooked it and it was a fine meal. I will miss Maria and Rubs cooking but not Maria's beans and her fried flour cakes. The 8 gypsys we seen soon turned into 11 as 3 hadnt left the wagon since their arrival. This set Rub into a fit. Once the meal was finished the gypsys wrapped up the remains as quick as weasels and it was gone. We figured it went into the wagon. They constantly laughed and hummed but it did not seem real. Rub was not the only one that didnt think everything was ok. Several of the gypsy ladies and they i believe werent ladies were watching the young hands close. After of evening of whst gypsys believe is music and lots of free tobacco smoked by the gypsys the hour was late so we started to our nights rest. One of our young hands had too much of the $1 medicine the gypsys sold him and had to be walked to bed. Of course pig and medicine dont mix, so our bunkhouse floor received the worst end of the meal. Let me say right now as long as the tobacco was free the gypsy will smoke it like lucifers fire. About midnight there was a light tap on the door jamb. One of the hands got up but didnt return for nearly half hour as i could tell. I was about to take my colt for a stroll when he returned amongst female giggling and laughter. Ruby, a young hand from Tennessee left before his friend could get into the door and his bunk. I quickly figured out what was going on when job asked to borrow $2. Ruby had drank too much medicine too but not enough to ruin our dirt layer on the floor like some. But he had done alot of bragging while under the devils spell about his money he had saved and his abilities with a firearm. This came to be his downfall a little later in the gypsys stay. I drifted off to sleep and put my bunk mates nonsense and foolishness out of my mind.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2014, 16:30 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I haven't forgotten about this thread. Just havent had time to pass gas and smell it even.