Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 24 Oct 2017, 01:07

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 17:14 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Im not a big proponent of the 2nd rut but the bucks here are really rubbing now? Found a few new scrapes too and made a mock one in a bottleneck. Might be a good weekend!? There was few rubs n scrapes here earlier, we actually questioned if there was a true "rut" this year?

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 18:05 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I'm not big on the second rut thing either. Round here the rut came later than usual for some reason.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 19:19 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Like doc I'mm a firm believer in the second rut :shock: . if the does are like my wife there will probably a few more ruts too. :oops:

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 21:56 
Trapper
Trapper

Back,
Not much. I hear the state released the totals for first season and it was way down from last year. I did get permission to hunt some new ground and I have to say I'm torn. Do I hunt the new ground or stay with the tried and true ground. I found a old rub on the new ground that had a tree about eight to ten inches around that was rubbed last year and touched up this year. Has a Scrape under it but hasnt been cleaned in some time.
Having said I haven't seen much sign I am hearing of guys claiming they are still seeing bucks bird dogin does. I Went Sunday and saw a bunch of nut cutters and one grinner. Pretty bad when your in the tree stand wondering if your broad head will damage the pelt to much. (gotta get a Judo point)
I am having my daughters nurse come in early thur so I can hit the timber. I guess I will let the wind decide where I go. As for the second rut I know its nowhere near as good as the first rut but I have seen some dandy's during the "second rut". They are calling for snow here for friday and I have to work :evil:. I LOVE hunting in the snow. The harder its snowing the better I like it. I always see deer when its snowing to. I dont know why, Id be laying under a cedar tree but they seem to like it down here.

grinner 1

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 23:22 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

We've got more fresh sign now then weve had all year. I know that delimna grinner. Hard call/choice. I always scout hard and try to go with my gut. Worked well this year. I havent seen the totals yet but those 2 windy days saved alot of deer. Saturday was brutal. My fiancée n i sat out in it then tracked in it. Cold and windy days i dont even go out till 10am or later. Around here most hunters freeze out by 9 am and the deer show it. If your after a buck id open that scrape. If anyone else has been around that new place. I use to make mock rub lines and many times id find where someone set a stand up by them. Gonna hunt tomorrow and see whats moving. By the way, broad heads do leave a big hole but needle and thread will fix it. Been there, done that. Check the regs. Last time as i read it legal broad heads were all you could carry while deer hunting. I know the local kill is way down. We've got alot of calls and texts asking to hunt on us. Couple from groups we quit for various reasons. So many deer go unreported now thanks to the phone in system. The doe kill is vastly under reported.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013, 00:16 
Trapper
Trapper

I was speaking with a game warden right after we went to call in checkin. His words were il just opened rifle season. I totally agree on the doe reporting I've seen it first hand and disagree with it. I can't wait for thur I'm ready for some back strap ith cheese stuffed inside. Or deer in the crockpot with brown gravey mmmmmmm. The new spot is virtually untouched. Me trapping the pond and the oil johnnies running the wells. I'm going to put a trail camera up Tom and see what's moving n there

grinner 1

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013, 10:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Sounds like a good plan Grinner. Thur n fri will be hit and miss for me/us. Ive got my babes 95% of the time and they have school. Although im seriously debating on them catching a buck bug one of those days, lol. I picked up 220 acres this year that hadnt been legally hunted in 3 years. Hard call to step away from the known spots and hunt it. Its been a good choice so far. Im hoping Illinois opens up a limited cartridge season like Indiana. Exes cousins are in Indiana and they use .44mag lever actions and shotguns. Im a big lever or single shot fan. Theres no reason we shouldn't be able to use the same legal pistol cartridges in rifles. Side note. Huntin buddy had a doe come thru about 9am towing 3 bucks he seen but all yearlings. Hes sitting all day hoping a nice one follows them. My bro likes loin chops with cream of mushroom soup in the crockpot. I lik'em breaded and pan fried or a loin roast wrapped in bacon and grilled. When the bacons crisp its done. I make alot of ground meat jerky and summer sausage too. Making brats next week. I cant find a bologna recipe i really like or id make more of it.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013, 15:22 
Trapper
Trapper

Back I'm getting hungry just reading your message. I love Jerky the only problem I have is controlling myself. I can eat it as fast as I make it. I like to take it to work to snack on but it never makes it past the second hour.
I spent alot of time in the woods today and have yet to see the first deer or furry critter. I dont know why with this front getting ready to come through they should be moving like crazy. Buddy ran traps with me this morning. His boy shot a spike last gun season so i have taken to calling him two tines. I told him that as soon as gun season was over Id take him to the woods and we would try and upgrade his name.
I am torn about the pistol cartridges. I had a ruger super redhawk in 44. The gun killed three deer the only problem was we only found two of them. One was a dandy buck I shot with it. NO blood but it was a beautiful shot. I also watched my nephew shoot a buck with it no blood again. I found the buck in muzzleloader season that year and while I couldn't tell exactly where he hit the deer only ran a couple of hundred yards in a crp field. Shortly after that I sold the gun. I dont know if the higher velocity from the rifle would do any better or not. I also am a fan of Lever guns. I love the 30-30 lever and I have a 444 marlin lever. Both are a blast to shoot I just cant afford to feed the 444 very often. If they open that season Ill try it once I guess.

grinner 1

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013, 19:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Ive got a single shot 30-30 i hand load for. That .444 is a nice cartridge. Many swear by it. With handguns ive found its all in the bullet. At least for deer anyhow. I seen deer just nothin close enough for bow cept a little spike thats probably gonna get named by by babes. Its always around. Squirrels were everywhere. I slipped a squirrel bolt on once but decided against it. 2 jake/young hens came thru but with the new rubs im after venison, not feathered possum. Gonna be white, wet n cold from the sounds of it. I set 4 water traps and done cubbies back in the brush. Just used trees as anchors. Had a buddy make me up a dozen steel rings 10" across that bolt shut after sliding a swivel on. Quick n easy timber cubbies. Cost me a gallon bag of cat fillets and a gallon bag of jerky but theyre worth it. Im buying a commercial grade dehydrator in the spring i think. Have deer brats n burgers in an hour.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013, 21:12 
Trapper
Trapper

Can you post a pic of the rings. I have a picture in my head but just wonder if I am right

grinner 1

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013, 22:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I dont have a photo bucket account yet. Soon as my brother sets it up i can. PMed ya btw.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013, 23:02 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Theyre all in the timber. Theyre simple. I use to makem back when i had a torch n welder ie: before my 2 nd divorce, lol. We took 3/8 round stock. Cut it, heated n hammered the ends flat. Bent it and drilled the flat end. Simple n quick. Just make sure theres a y or limb in the tree that holds them down lower. Trust me, lol

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2013, 15:08 
Trapper
Trapper

Ill have to make some. I made my first dirt anchor today. Looks good but I want to bury it in the ground and see how much force it takes to pull it up.
In less then 24 hours I plan on being cold and wet in the woods. Sometimes I think I should sell all my hunting stuff and just start buying T Bones. with what I spend on hunting and trapping each year I could probably do it. but then I wouldn't get the memory's.

grinner 1

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2013, 23:50 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I've thought about that too over the years Grinner. Not many good stories start with i was grillin t bones n watchin the 500 lb neighbor in the pool. We've got to run traps in the am then babes to school so i doubt i hit the timber before 9. Got a few good pics off the trail cam. Most of the deer around my stand and 2 blinds in my spot are runnin from 1030-2. Love my bros cams. Time n date stamp on every pic. My old cams all had month day and 2004, lol. I never did figure out how to changem. Good luck tomorrow Grunner, and too everyone else also. May get wicked out.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2013, 19:47 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Do any good today Grinner? I never got a shot. Had a doe(?) come thru too far then hour later about noon had a doe come flyin thru with a whopper in tow. Couldnt get either to stop. It was the culmination of a messed up day, lol.