Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 17:35

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 06:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I've been living without a vice on my work bench ever since moving to our new house 5 years ago and I'm tired of it. I tried to find one at rummages this year but only came across a monster one that I wasn't prepared to cough up the coin in purchasing (besides being much larger than what I probably need).

Now I'm going to break down and buy one retail. Anyone have a particular mid-sized one that they recommend?? On my side of the bigger town near me, we have a Menards, which is a regional home improvement store based out of Wis. and a couple of farm supply stores. Across town near the big mall (an area that I try to avoid), there's a Home Depot, a Lowe's, and another Menards. There's also a couple of Ace Hardwares on my side (one in my home town) but they tend to be higher priced for tools than most places. What do some of you think???

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 07:59 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Best of luck NONPC on your purchasing a decent vise from any of the local tool outlets. Most I have seen are CHINA MADE. I did find a "leg" vise and an older small vise at a local junk yard a couple of years ago. If you haven't run across someone wanting to sell one in your area in 5 years, well then you may be looking at a CHINA MADE one. :cry:

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 08:00 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

PC, if you ain't going to use it hard just about any vice will work. I've never bought a new one so can't help you there. Farm auctions is where I pick them up[I go to as many auctions as time will allow]. If you are going to do serious holding with the vice, I'd go talk to my local welder/fabricator for his/her advice. How big of a jaw opening are you requiring? One option I like is having a vice that swivels but it comes with it's own problems[no where near as strong and can be easily broken with excessive force].
I bet I didn't help much , eh. :roll:

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2013, 16:29 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Bigger is better, ...unless you are tying flies. :lol:

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2013, 12:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Swamp- You're probably right. I was over by Menards this morning so I stopped by and checked out their "vises" (I spelled it wrong!). They had two brands with various sizes (I probably only need a 4 or 5 inch jaw for what I do). One was a cheapie called "Performax" (their 5 inch was about $50) and the other was "Masterforce", a little better quality (their 4 inch was about $50) and a "lifetime warranty". But as Swamp predicted both were made in China :( ...I could probably get by with the Masterforce but I think I'll check out Craigslist's and a few hardware stores first. The China made stuff will always be there if I need to go slumming...

BTW, TT, I haven't been looking for a vice for 5 years, only that I haven't had one for about 5 years (and kick myself on occasions for not having one when I could use one).

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2013, 14:12 

Had my welder friend out the other day PC[boom fell on the ground :roll: ] and he said,"I don't care where it's made if it works".