Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 18:47

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2013, 17:40 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

My wife and I have been running a large garden/small farm for the last two years and now we have come to the point that we want to sell some our produce at a roadside stand. So yesterday with the help of my kids we transformed an old hay wagon into a farm stand. See pics below. We are having trouble figuring out what prices to ask for the produce so we came up with a idea for "Pick your own price." What we mean is pay whatever you feel is appropriate. If you can not afford to pay anything than that is fine, take what you need as log as it is going to feed you or your family. Do you guys think this approach will work. We are not looking to make a lot of money on it, just maybe break even on our seed which will probably only take about $200. I don't see any need to charge what the stores are asking for something that honestly doesn't cost all that much to raise. Even if we didn't sell it we would be growing it for our own use anyway so time spend working the field really doesn't factor in for overhead. What is your opinion on this plan of ours?

Jase working on transforming the hay wagon

Big sister Kelsey lending a hand

All hands on deck! lol

The finished project

Me and the helpers at the end of a long hot day.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2013, 18:50 
Trapper
Trapper

SJ trapper,
My compliments on your garden and your idea. I think you will be surprised in a good way with the return on your roadside stand. Not to say you wont have the occasional people who take advantage of your plan.Having said that I think you will be in the positive at the end of your venture.

grinner 1

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2013, 19:47 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Nice stand ! Hope you make a profit on it, but there are a lot of people out there who will probably try to take advantage of you.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2013, 21:16 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

As impressive as the stand is, the fact you had the whole fandamily working on it was more impressive to me :D . Hope your venture is lined with gold.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 11:46 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

SJT- I've been meaning to post about your cool set up you have there in south Jersey. I think your old house has a lot more character than my new place (I dig the big front (?) porch). I sort of wish when we built our house in 08 that I would have had more patience and tried to find a country place that I could have rehabed a bit. But then again, we wouldn't have met a lot of nice people we now know in our suburban town and its too late imo in the kids lives to do some big change with them only having a half a dozen years probably left at home. A country place in my life after 60 maybe...

As for your idea about having people naming their own price. I think it will work generally, especially if your kids are involved. You may not get what they charge at a full blown farmers market but if you have hundreds of zucchinis coming on line and can sell most of a quaretr or more a piece, that alone could cover your seed costs. Keep us update and I wish you all the best that the nice people of south Jersey will smile on your family's work :) !!!

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2013, 09:27 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

You must be proud to have such family involvement SJ. The wagon is a great idea and it pleases me to know you are teaching the young'uns such things as farming, building things and ways to vend the products. The "Honor System" of sales used to be common down here but is seldom seen any longer. Even newspapers were in stands on the streets of every small town with a coin tube on them and they weren't chained down or cemented down but worked well until the mid-60s. But back to your plans, I hope it works well and feel like you will do well with the stand. Keep us posted.