Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 05:28

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2013, 18:46 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Watch this video and decide for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8r4MK3R4PI

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2013, 19:26 
Trapper
Trapper

Wow i still can't believe this crap. There was a huge discussion on t-man about this. This video makes it real hard to trust law enforcement. I think there is another part to this video, there was talk they detained his kid and questioned him without a parent. I hope he sues that department to kingdom come. Apparently those officers don't beleive we have rights. How would this situation be any different than us walking with a 22 checking a trapline?

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2013, 20:42 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

The guy walking with his son kind of blew it out of proportion... Had he simply complied with the officer instead of making a scene, he wouldve been back on his hike a lot quicker. The fact that he yells "Shut up Im talking"at the arresting officer when he was trying to talk to the seargent doesnt help either...

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2013, 20:59 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yes, he didn't help his case with his tone and such, but it still makes no difference if the officers were out of line and doing something outside of what the law allows. You can tell that they knew they were not within the law by how much the officers were him hawing around about halfway through the video till the end. They were trying to find something they could get him on and try to make it stick because the guy was filming it and making them look like fools and they knew there was going to be a big stink come from it. From what the guy was saying on other sites, they can not simply take a firearm off of a civilian, unless they feel threatened. The officer never said he felt threatened until after they had all ready confiscated the gun, he did not notify the guy that he felt threatened and did not ask him to lay the gun down and step away from it. Which, according to the guy in the video, is not in accordance with Texas state law. On top of all this, the officers have to have reason to detain you. None of them could or would answer him as to why they were doing that. And they can not detain a person simply because they may suspect that a firearm that they are carrying may not be legally registered. Any way you look at it, the officers were in the wrong. They are sworn to protect the citizens, and uphold the Constitution, as well as state laws. They did not do this. I hope the guy goes ahead with the lawsuit and gets their badges as well as public apologies.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2013, 21:05 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

That is all true CMJ, good point. Were the officers out of line? Absolutely. Are all cops like that? Absolutely not. My only concern is that the willfully naive who view the video ignorantly assume that all cops are thugs trying to take away people's rights. And unfortunately there are people who think that. Had the father remained calm, the situation probably would not have escalated so much. He couldve simply recorded the cop falsley confiscating his gun and detaining him, instead of blowing up in front of his son. Which Im sure influenced the cop. 2 sides to every coin.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2013, 21:17 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I definitely agree to that and I don't condone the guys attitude with the officers, but I can understand why he was the way he was too. An officer working outside the law is a very frustrating thing to deal with. I also don't mean to cast a bad shadow on to other officers, I know several officers and they are upstanding people as well as police officers. But despite it all, it still doesn't condone the illegal actions of the officers.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2013, 05:49 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

This all took place in Temple Texas...my stepson and DIL live in Temple...a town of the worst drivers in America. Maybe the Dudley Dorights should have handled this situation more professionally and went on about their business of patrolling the deadly streets of their fine town. It will be interesting to see if the guy follows thru with his lawsuit against the department. I honestly feel he was pushing their buttons on purpose.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2013, 07:06 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Well from what I seen the police were following up on a report of a man walking down the road with a firearm. Did the officers handle this in the best way, probably not. The victim could have been on his way shortly after but his tone of voice and constant arguing ended with him going to jail. Like swamp said it will be interesting to see how this turns out.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2013, 20:42 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Pushing a cops buttons never turns out well for the one doing the pushing. Plain and simple. My dad is a game warden, and one day while he was patrolling the coastal waters on his boat, he stopped a boat that was taking a group of paying customers to go out fishing. It was just a routine stop, to check the captains fishing licenses and make sure everything was in order (life vests, fire extinguisher, licenses, etc.) While my dad was going over everything, he heard the captain mutter to one of the customers "Oh this cop is such an a**hole" So my dad looked up at him and asked him loud enough for everyone to hear "What was that? Im a what-hole?" And the guy goes on to complain how the game wardens are always giving him a hard time and hurting his business and giving him tickets and bla bla bla. Typical BS my dad always hears. So instead of giving the guy a warning on some stuff, my dad rights him tickets for all of it. And as my dad was pulling away from the guys boat, he told him to have a nice a day :--D

Moral of the story: just because you have your own opinion and are free to share, doesnt always mean you should, especially when it involves giving law enforcment a hard time...

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2013, 21:08 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Any one who ain't prepared to pay the price of speaking his mind should remain silent. On that note I'll be the one paying fines, going to jail and speaking my piece cause it needs to be said. I always get a kick out of guys bragging how they talked their way out of a fine/trouble with the law. I figure if they talked their way out it was to squeal like a piggy. i did have to quit talking in court one time as I was out of money to pay anymore contempt fines. :evil:

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2013, 23:25 
Trapper
Trapper

This is exactly the problem. Leo's can punish you because they don't like what you say to them, since when is it illegal to express your opinion of a situation? I don't like how i was treated by cops for doing absolutely nothing wrong and i don't see them getting fined or put in jail. Who says they are a better human being than i am? I am sorry to say not all law enforcement personel are perfect upstanding people.