Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 05:51

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2013, 12:47 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

A while back when Swamp Rat posted some photos of the things he makes, I was so impressed. I love to be surprised when I see what someone makes. I love it when someone can take something ordinary, and turn it into something unique, Swap Rat does that.
A couple of his items really caught my eye, the small tomahawks with shiny finish, and the tiny knives made from some sort of nails.
I could see making really cool little sheaths for them for rear view mirror danglys or something and offered to buy them from him.
I offered that if he send me three of the little knives, that I'd send one back with a nice little sheath.
He said he'd send me something and I could work out some sort of trade for what I thought it was worth.

I was totally floored when I opened the box, here's why.
You see why.
Honestly, I would have been delighted to have even gotten one of those wonderful gifts. I was stunned by his generosity. I knew there was a reason I never made a turtle shell rattle, even though I like them so much, Ol Swamp Rat was going to be giving me one, all I had to do was wait. The meat turners and spoon are sooo cool. Just a while back I was wishing I had a meat fork. Strange how some things come to ya huh? :D War club is soo cool. I love seeing turkey feathers again. Those little beaver tooth scrapers really surprised me, never seen anything like that. Was that our own idea Rat? The short one fits perfectly in the palm and fingers.
Dual purpose rasp/scraper, so neat, and the pipe. I think my favorites are the little nail knives, if only because of their history.
Rat says they were used in the old rail road days, to mark the age of the ties. They hold such a story within them. Very cool.

( He said the only way I could post the photos, was if I said lots of wonderful things about him :mrgreen: ) So.... What a wonderful guy he is, hard worker, craftsperson extraordinaire, Mountain of a man, Honest, Keen outdoors man, A trapper among trappers, a legend in his time. ( zat enough Rat) oh ya, right, I forgot..... SOOO GOOOOD LOOOOKING !!!!! He insisted on that one :lol: :lol: )
( actually there were not stipulations about posting the photos, my joke haha.)

Which brings me to a dilema, what to make for the return trade. The pressure is definately on ! Im pretty sure that was his plan all along :mrgreen: .
Thanks Rat, In so many ways. mg

FREEDOM~LIBERTY

Last edited by Musselshellgal on 16 Jan 2013, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2013, 13:53 

hmmmm....are you sure those arent the torture devices of some mad witch doctor
:? :--? :shock: :P

Seriously Swamp, you constantly amaze! True folk art! I too enjoy seeing the things you craft from common items many would consider junk and things from the natural things around us....even if some of them are implements of death and destruction :P

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2013, 19:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

looks like something a Texas witch doctor would have lying around... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2013, 00:20 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

wonderful workmanship, and an excellent photo exhibit. Thank you

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2013, 07:33 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

A forge and an imagination, two wonderful tools. Neat stuff!
Ray

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2013, 17:33 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thats real cool Swamp! Some lovely pieces.

I was talking to the old girl over the road the other day and she does a strange type of knitting, we had a good chat and what came up was things that were so natural with women in her day- even just simple knitting, would be almost lost by the time my children grow up. I love seeing hand made stuff

Is the antler hard to work with- ie the spoon, getting it shaped?