Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 09:11

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2012, 05:20 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

We're off to a SD youth waterfowl opener. My kids went through their hunters saftey course in a smaller town this spring, who's neighboring CO has put together a local first year hunters waterfowl hunt. We went up north about 40 miles last night, had dinner, went through duck id, reviewed saftey, learned a bit about calling, and got teamed up with local "guides" who have places picked out and provide all the decoys and calling needed. It has cost me nothing except gas. My 12-year old could barely sleep last night. Hope to have some pixs this afternoon...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2012, 06:51 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Sounds like a lot of fun for everyone. Best of luck and good hunting.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2012, 07:40 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Enjoy the [L] out of your time PC :D . The guides are getting the best part of this deal. :wink:

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2012, 08:17 

Best of luck PC, pictures would be great!

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2012, 19:30 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

We did the same thing here, where only youth are allowed to hunt waterfowl. We had a good time, though we didnèt get anything

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2012, 15:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Well, it ended up being a "bluebird" day on Sat. am, temps in the low 30s and breezy over time. There was also not much pressure about, we were the only ones hunting the slough we were at and lots of room for the ducks to go and hang out and not come down to the corner were we deployed.

With that said, each of my boys still managed to clearly drop a duck and had more opportunities to shoot, although twisting turning bw teal are hard to hit. There were also geese in the area, and had a couple of cracks at them, although at the end of the morning, a loner came in and landed outside of the dekes. At extreme range with the duck loads, Tony did manage to break a wing and brought the goose down. Our two male guides who had full waders on managed to corner the wounded bird after a 500 yard slog and finished it off. I told Tony he had done things at age 12 that I had never done at that point in my life. Both boys were quite happy with their day.

The boys, ducks, and one of "guides" (She was the gf of one of guys and a hard worker--I helped her put the decoys away while the guys were wading down the goose. Interesting to watch a little 110 pound blond cutie in waders!!).

The boys with the tw guy guides (the guy on the right has been a state duck calling champion).

The boys with the old man

A group pix with the 9 kids involved back at the gathering point. I think the total about a dozen ducks and 3 Can goose. I think every kid got at least 1 bird each.

Back home showing mom the goose

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2012, 15:44 

Very cool PC! That looks like it was a fun day for the kids.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2012, 17:47 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Looks like a day of Memories!!!!

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2012, 21:26 

Wow, great day. Tell the lads to feel proud as you deserve to. :wink:

How did the ducks pick the champion? :shock:

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012, 08:34 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

thats awesome!! Congrates on a great day in the blind!! My little brother can start this year! i wish i was close enough to home to take him out! Hes been chomping at the bit to go! Hopefully we will get a chance right before thanksiving to go! Any how awesome pictures and a great experience for the young guys!

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012, 16:05 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Awesome !! Congrats to all of you.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2012, 18:05 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Looks like a fun time was had by all

Live Free or Die

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2012, 00:09 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I took the boys out Tues. evening on an attempted duck hunt. The main duck season opened up last Sat and Tuesday was a warm bluebird day, so I was a bit dubious if we would have any action. The wind even died by the time we sent up the decoys.

No shots were fired but the boys got practice getting the decoys out. I like to hunt over water decoys but my favorite way to duck hunt is to wade sloughs, especially patchy reedy/rushy ones that have pockets of open water. A guy can flush ducks out like pheasant hunting.

Later season stubble field hunting of northern ducks , especially long lines of mallards is a blast as well. But we have fewer and fewer days like that anymore as our falls tend to stay warmer and with more corn grown in North Dakota, the migration gets hung up there. Many times the notherns (mallards ans snow geese) then blow past se SD in a few days after a major weather change instead of moving though over a couple of 2-3 weeks. I may just have to head up into ne SD that has a lot more local ducks and still gets the tip of the spear of migration even with warm falls. Having 3 shooters instead of just one probably justifies an overnight trip in November!!

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2012, 07:50 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

looks like them boys had a heck of a hunt :D

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2012, 07:54 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

fuzz269 wrote:
looks like them boys had a heck of a hunt :D

x2

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2012, 15:35 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

My boys went on a catered youth pheasant sponsored by my neighboring county's CO for the kids that graduate from his hunter's saftey class this year. South Dakota has worked on ramping up how its pheasant season starts for the past number of years (a weekend set aside for youth hunting, then a resident only long weekend held only on public land, and finally the full blown free-for-all pheasant opener when lots of $$ are exchanged).

Anyway, the kids got to hunt pheasants on a commercial "preserve" operation located about 40 miles north of here. A full blown pheasant preserve can be open longer than private land where people are charged to hunt. A preserve can be open Sept. through March (the normal pheasant season is the third Sat. of Oct. through Jan. 1) but has to release a certain number of birds during their season in a compromise with the state that their improved habitat will also draw wild birds onto the land. Before the major push of commericalized pheasant hunting in the 1990s, there were few if any raised birds released on private land. Bottom line for this hunt, however, was that I didn't pay anything except the gas to get to the location.

Anyway, there were about 10 kids involved in the hunt, 15+ parents and adult "guides", and about 6+ dogs. The kids were split up into 2 groups. There were a few too many advisors and dogs involved for my liking and with a pretty good wind the birds were sitting tight (or the owner hadn't released too many birds for the habitat that we walked.) The total birds gotten by the kids was 7 and my 12-year old got 3 of them. I think the kid is a natural and probably will out shoot me soon (I never limited out on pheasnts at 12-years old). My 13-year old had a couple of shots and would have had a few more better ones if the kids would have been allowed to turn behind them to shoot but the leaders didn't want brand new hunters to pivot and shoot (I was ok with that, I guess kids got to walk before they can run).

So, fresh pheasant meat tonight, as well as skinning out one of the birds for a possible taxidermy mount (a guide rung the bird's neck so I'll have to see how many feathers fall out when I wash the pelt). We also watched one of the guides clean the birds by making cuts of the skin of the wings and the breast and then stepping on the wings and pulling up that in the end seperates the breast from the rest of the bird while leaving the feathers on the wings for legal transportation (sex id of the bird). Granted, the lower legs of a pheasant can be sort of tough and get shot up a lot but the thighs tend to be good (these guys were throughing all the thighs and drummies away). I also like eating gizzards, so I grabbed the gizzard of one of Tony's 2 cleaned birds and held it above the garbage can while I pulled my lock blade out of my pants and then opened the balde with me teeth (I wasn't try to make a statement or anything but I'm sure these guys had never seen a knife opened in this manner or at least not a common day occurance :wink: !).

A couple of pixs. There's all the kids with their 7 birds. It was sort of the cold and blustery morning so they're bundled up pretty good. The girl in the purple is from our church and I got her signed up late for thsi hunt. They raffled off one new 20 gauge pump and she ended up winning it!!

Here's Tony with his 3 birds. His little buddy is the younger brother of the purple coated girl and loves hunting but can't shoot yet. He carried 2 of Tony's birds in the back of his orange vest and collected spent shotgun hulls. He had a blast!!

Hopefully, I get the boys out for some more typical action later after the craziness of the opening weekend gets done in a couple of weeks...

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2012, 16:14 

Great hunt for the kids PC! They have a youth pheasant hunt here as well but they "stock" the public lands with farm raised pheasants. I'm sure all yours are wild birds.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2012, 19:15 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Good Job NonPC! Looks like you are developing some new SD future sportsmen!

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2012, 19:58 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

That's pretty awesome PC. Good eatin' there.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2012, 20:47 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

When I went to cook up some of Tony's pheasant this evening, I found these interesting items. The place the kids hunted had vacummed sealed the 2 pheas breasts (and my 2 gizzards) in a plastic bag. I didn't notice until today that it was an "official" Cabela's sealable bag (they have their fingers into everything hunting, don't they. They started off as a small company out of Neb. but now they're a monster...).

Then I got the bird parts out of the bag and found these tag wrapped around the upper wing. I feel special now!!!

Anyway... Later on Tony constructed this pix of pheasant nuggets and his shotgun shells. Go 20 guage!!!

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2012, 21:01 

Looks good enough to eat even though it came outta that bag. :D :D

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2012, 21:58 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Wow them kids are gettin all sorts of good hunts this year :D Keep it up and please keep the pix commin :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2012, 06:25 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

PC looks like you and the boys are off with a bang this season. Great hunts and great stories. Keep them coming please.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2012, 00:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

We went up to north-central SD on Friday about 270 miles from here. My friend from church grew up on a farm about 30 miles from the ND border. Mostly farmland that used to grow mainly wheat and other small grains but now has transitioned to corn in a big way. Drier than around here, probably averages between 15 to 20 inches of precip a year.

The opening weekend my friend and his extended famil shot just under 60 pheasants off of about 900 acres (good hunting habitat probably much less than that). On Friday, we had just 5 guns and no dog, with 3 of those first year kid hunters. The pheasants mainly laughed at us, especially in big patches of cover such as 80 acres of CRP land (Conservation Rserve Program where cropland has been temporarily retired to grasslands). The birds would get up 150-200 yards ahead of us and then go lite down somewhere else. All we managed was 2 birds in hand.

Saturday was different. Another 7 guns showed up, plus about 4 unarmed walkers, and 1 dog. We put more emphasis on blocking the big patches of habitat and less on just walking. Ended up with 31 out of 36 birds by the time we left and some of the others were out trying to finish off the limit. My oldest boy got his first-on-his-own pheasant, my second a couple of more, and I ended up dropping a couple of high-and-fast flyers passing shooting them like ducks (should have a few more thaat way). I also found out that a nearly spent #4 shot still has enough enegry to break the skin and I wore a fat lip for a few hours (spitting a little blood never hurts anyone, still I was glad it didn't hit me in other places of my face.

Here's some pixs of the end of the day...

A couple of group photos

the pheasant pile/line

Me and my gunned down "planes"

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2012, 06:59 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

That had to be an exciting day for both young and old! Keep those youngsters interest up NonPC!!!!