Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 13:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Doing a demo
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2012, 12:21 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Tomorrow the Boy Scouts are having their yearly rondy here. I contacted them awhile ago about doing a trapping demo while there. They were rather excited about that idea. I have a few traps ready and will be picking up a big box of fur from the Fish and Game.
This should all be close to a river so I can make realistic sets. However.......
I have never done a demo in my life and have no clue of what I am doing. Anybody have some advice? I would really appreciate any suggestions from the experienced.

Beaver--2
Muskrat-0
Squirrel-6
Fox------2
Coon----1

Post subject: Re: Doing a demo
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2012, 13:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Woodswalker when i do trapping demos for our kids up here i follow a set pattern we set up from the council members.

1 First thing is i ask them if they know anything about trapping
2 I give them a brief history how trapping got started and how it opened up North America
3 I explain to them that trapping standards have changed over the years and traps now adays are more geared to less animal suffering. I then run through some of the laws and regs that we abide by.
4 Then i take them to the fur table and see if they can identify the tanned furs that are laid out. That one is always fun for them.
5 Then i take them to the trap table and show them the different traps that are in use today and the ones that are not allowed anymore. I expain to them that each trap i show will be used for specific animals. Most cases this will get you a lot of questions
6 Then take them out in the field and show them how all the sets are made for specific species. Will fire a couple of traps to give them an idea how they work.
7 Then give them a run down on the 2 fur houses that sell wild fur and how much money is generated. In Canada the sale of wild fur and garment shops will bring $900 million in revenue
8 Then i explain to them why fur is renewable resource and faux fur is petrolium based and is not green.
9 Then we do a hands on skinning.

Hope this will help a bit

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2012, 14:50 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

well this is one thing i can help on. Not so much on the actual tapping part but as far as demos and public speaking I am a wiz. I have been teaching for about the last 10 years so here is my take on it.

1. no matter what you are going to do a presentation on make sure you are prepared and know the subject well. (anyone, especially kids can see right though you if you are just trying to bs your way though something.)

2. don't go to fast, i used to always catch my self flying though a presentation especially if it was something that I was good at. Take the time to stop, slow down and ask for questions often.

3. interaction is the best teacher. make sure that you make eye contact with everyone in the room at some point though your presentation, even if only for a few seconds, this makes it personal for that individual and also helps you get a read for the group to see if they are "picking up what you are putting down"

4. kids are special, try not to use terms that they don't understand and if you have to try to explain it in simple terms for them. Get down on their level, sit down or kneel down when talking with them it makes them feel for comfortable.

5. if someone asks you a question you don't know the answer to be honest and tell them that you don't know but you will find out for them and get back to them with an answer. you have to mean this though, don't just tell them that you will get back to them and never do it will follow you for a long time especially if you are planning on doing more demos and such in the future, word of mouth travels fast.

6. the most important one is just have fun with it, and make sure the kids are having fun too. remember you are representing us all so have fun and pass on the good word about how beneficial trapping is for all wildlife.

hope this helps some, i know that it is now specifically about trapping but it should help with the presentation part.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2012, 16:26 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

WW, if you get a chance, show them the video of the release of your mountain lion catch! :shock: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2012, 21:44 
Trapper
Trapper

Swamp Rat wrote:
WW, if you get a chance, show them the video of the release of your mountain lion catch! :shock: :lol: :lol:

x2.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2012, 22:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Heck, I ain't gotten to see WW release a cougar! Do we get to watch it?

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2012, 23:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

LOL. I wish I had video of that. Unfortunatly we just have a few pix of the cat before we let her go. Nobody thought to bring a trypod. Unfortunatly the demo has been cancelled for the time being. They Rondy was moved to a later date do to air quality issues. It seems that when you incinerate half of our national forests you get smoke problems. I just cant figure that out.

Beaver--2
Muskrat-0
Squirrel-6
Fox------2
Coon----1

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2012, 10:29 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Image #3 longspring.

Beaver--2
Muskrat-0