Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 21:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2007, 20:12 
Trapper
Trapper

Since I have been on but lots has happened this year. I got a good trapping read called " Trapping North American Furbearers" and read lots of pages in that and it also has lots of good pictures showing great sets for just about any North American trapable animal you can think of. Then I picked up a set of these box traps made out of green vinyl coated wire from the local feed-store for trapping closer to houses that have cats/dogs. And then picked up 6 Bridger 1.5's at the local fair. My plan right now isnt to have a serious trap line but instead maybe just harvest acouple coons, possums, skunks, etc. I was wondering if you can use 1.5's for muskrats and what is a good bait/lure? And also I had this set idea for muskrat with a box trap take a look a tell me what you think!
Thanks guys it is good to be back :D

Ground Hog~
Skunk~
Raccoon~
Fox~
Coyote~

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Aug 2007, 12:08 
Trapper
Trapper

Will a muskrat hit the angled trap pan with enough force to close the door, especially if its swimming? What size is the box trap? Maybe the squirrel or smaller traps would work...smaller traps mean the 'rat might hit the pan regardless of whethever it swims or crawls.

Other than that it seems like a good idea.

I love box traps for near homes. Coons and skunks have no problem going inside and you can take advantage of usually unharvested fur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2007, 19:11 
Trapper
Trapper

I suppose a box trap could work for muskrats, but for the price of a box trap, you could buy a few 110 size body grippers and do a lot better on muskrats. The only bait I have used for muskrats is carrots, and that was when I impaled some carrots on the 110 triggers, and suspended them through the ice for under ice muskrat trapping. It might work also in your pocket set that you have the cage trap in.

If I were you, I'd save the cage traps for raccoons and skunks near houses, and get 110's for muskrats. The Bridger 1.5 is much more trap than you need for muskrats, but you could probably use them for rats. You will definitely need to drown the rats if you catch then in these 1.5's, or they won't be there when you check your sets. But they should be good traps to use for rats when you have a real chance of also catching a mink or raccoon in the set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2007, 08:02 
Some states only allow the use of cage traps for muskrats except in emergency circumstances. I just wondr how you'd keep the soil from caving in and preventing the door from falling down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2007, 13:08 
Trapper
Trapper

I'm thinking just like the enclosed part of a box trap for skunks...only the entire length of the trap for muskrats.

Zip-tie a piece of sheet metal or the like to the top of the trap. If the cage collapses for easy storage, then just make the sheet metal just smaller than the top of the trap.

I guess you could do the bottom part too. Might work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2007, 21:53 
Trapper
Trapper

i agree, submerged in the water like that, i think the mud would keep caving in on ya