Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 06:18

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 22:08 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

number to buy a hunting license in South Dakota? Yes, he does!!

So, I was going to buy my kids their first hunting licenses tonight (several seasons start tomorrow) but wasn't sure how much a youth license cost. So I called the local hardware store where I've bought mine before (the only one in town so they have sort of a monopoly and not necessarily on knowledge) and asked them. The guy came back that it would be $29 + $2 agent fee.

"Really", I asked, "for a 12-year kid to go hunting in this state?"

"Well, well maybe no, I can't really check unless I put in the hunter's safety card number."

I said, we'll just come down and buy the licenses. Its about a 2 1/2 mile trip one way to the hardeware store and they were 15 minutes to closing, so we go back to the only computer terminal that they can use to access the state system. My kids weren't in the system yet, so we start entering data for the first kid. That stalls out when the guy says,

"What's the last 4 digits of his social [security number]?"

"What? I don't know that off hand," I said. "See if you can go on without it."

"OK. Nope, you can't."

At this point I get a little steamed. Its not the clerk's fault that the system is set up like this but I'm pretty sure its the same guy I talked to on the phone and no mention of a SS # was given then. Besides I had a crappy end of the day at work so not in the best mood (still no reason to unload on the guy but..).

"That's crap. Just give me back his hunt safe card." (and we'll do it ourselves at home and I won't have to pay you an agent's fee).

So, I ended up getting both of their licenses on-line after creating an account for them, having them swear that they didn't have revoked licenses (they haven't had a license before!), making them swear they were residents of this state, and answering the fed migratory hunting questionaire (no, you daft souless machine, they didn't hunt doves, ducks, geese, snipe, or coots last year, this is their first hunting year!!).

When we went to pay, their names automatically came up as the cardholders. Luckily, someone had the brains enough to allow another name on a credit card to buy the licenses. By the way, the cost was $5 a piece for resident youth migratory "stamp", $5 a piece for resident youth small game license, and $2 (still) for an "agent's" fee for myself filling out the required blanks. A modern system at its finest :--? !!!!

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 22:45 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

That sounds about right NPC, I believe here they call it a "convenience fee" :? I have had trouble with the website before and thought seriously about calling in and wanting to charge them an inconvenience fee. :twisted:

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2012, 10:32 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

PA i am pretty sure does the same thing. SInce i transfered my residency to AK its worse yet, i had to fill out all kinds of crap to get my liscence, it was $30 for a single day non resident fishing liscence so i could take my little brothers fishing while i was home!

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2012, 10:47 

Yep, last year was my sons first year and we needed all of that info. Once you have a number for the "system" you don't need to show your SS card anymore. PA has two seperate agencies, the game commission for hunting and the fish and boat commission for fishing, but the license uses the same number year after year. Just the fact that you are now "in the system" kind of makes you think that somebody has an easy access to lots of private information about you.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2012, 13:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Don't get me started ,,still waiting on boat stickers,and title transfer on a boat that I bought back in april,,,here in ILL. our DNR stands for Do Nothing Right....

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2012, 01:02 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Chief- Do you ever wonder how different Illinois would be if they just broke it into 2 states, with the first one extending only the first 100 miles or so south of the Wisconsin line?? Or would the people in Springfield (assuming that would the capital of down-state IL) still get things screwed up??

Genesis 1:26