Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 16:39

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: log book
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2012, 21:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

hello where does everyone get there log books from? or do you use a plain notebook? thats what i used last year and was wondering what everyone else used so i could get a better system or just stay with the notebook....
thanks, denny

Post subject: Re: log book
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2012, 21:17 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I just use a notebook with regular notebook pages. I add the reinforced rings on the sheets of paper so they don't tear out. Have used this system for years.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2012, 21:48 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

heck denny, I just wrote their numbers on a piece of notebook paper and stuck it in my gym bag. :--? :--? :--? And if I forgot thier name I just asked around or found a new one. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: You know the girls got us out-numbered 3 to 1, so we have the advantage...... so to speak. :--? :--? :--? :--? :--? :--?

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2012, 21:55 
Trapper
Trapper

Thats a pretty darn good question, and something I'm sure I would have asked.
So I guess the log books would be laid out in a way that ensures you have all the correct and pertenant info?
If I were to use the Ole notebook as you guys do......exactly what info should I be writing in there?
Thanks

Coyote -
Bobcat -
Fox -
Mink -
Muskrat -
Marten -
Fisher -
Grinners -
Stinkers -
Fingers - 2 (good thing it was only a 110 lol)

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2012, 22:19 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Ambush wrote:
Thats a pretty darn good question, and something I'm sure I would have asked.
So I guess the log books would be laid out in a way that ensures you have all the correct and pertenant info?
If I were to use the Ole notebook as you guys do......exactly what info should I be writing in there?
Thanks

Whatever is of interest to you, weather, temps, sightings, catches, camp happenings, kills made, camp visitors, seasonal changes in the woods, etc. I log down the weights and sexes of all my kills and catches.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2012, 10:06 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

good ideal's swamp rat. what little i did last year. i just wrote DOWN what traps and size i was using at each set, what bait i used and if or not i used lure or urine and what type of lure and urine i used at each set. i also wrote what kind of a set i used. dirt hole,flat and so on. and if i cached anything. and where i am new. i wrote down where the trap where so i wouldn't forget where i put them...lol

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2012, 10:51 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Normally we will mark down what we need for each spot on our coon run. Number of traps, type of trap, kind of set, and whether we can use a drowner or not. We only do it on the coon run though. Other than that all we use the log for is trap inventory at the end of the season. We've talked about doing it for cats so we know how many we have taken out of an area and where they were caught. So far we have found that with catching cats around here, there have been several spots that we have taken several cats out of a pretty close proximity and they haven't repopulated back, so it'd be nice to have records of all that to know if we should go back into an area or not.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2012, 17:27 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks for the feedback Amak, Swamp and bronco.......like to learn all I can and you all are great at helping.
Another reason I had asked about the log is that you are supposed to turn in a fur harvest log at the end of the season (at least where I am) I thought that was what you guys were talking about in the begining here.......
Is that something everyone has to do?......or is it just certain states?

Coyote -
Bobcat -
Fox -
Mink -
Muskrat -
Marten -
Fisher -
Grinners -
Stinkers -

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2012, 17:51 
Trapper
Trapper

Aha....gotcha. That really stinks man. Im sure its a real PITA.
Sorry I forgot to mention ya cat-man....thanks for your feedback as well.
So I guess I will run a good detailed log to start with so I can remember everything......like your philosophy on things tho Amak, keep it simple. Always been a good motto to follow. And I will do the furharvest thing as well.....pretty sure it is mandatory here. Have to check again.

Coyote -
Bobcat -
Fox -
Mink -
Muskrat -
Marten -
Fisher -
Grinners -
Stinkers -

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2012, 18:36 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Ambush wrote:
So I guess I will run a good detailed log to start with so I can remember everything......like your philosophy on things tho Amak, keep it simple. Always been a good motto to follow. And I will do the furharvest thing as well.....pretty sure it is mandatory here. Have to check again.

:? Ambush, don't buy into Jase soundling like he likes things "simple", he is probably the MOST DETAILED person I have ever met. He may not keep a journal because he fears someone would find it and know his SECRETS! :shock: :lol: 8|-

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2012, 18:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Swamp Rat wrote:
Ambush wrote:

:? Ambush, don't buy into Jase soundling like he likes things "simple", he is probably the MOST DETAILED person I have ever met. He may not keep a journal because he fears someone would find it and know his SECRETS! :shock: :lol: 8|-

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2012, 19:48 
Trapper
Trapper

HAHAHAHA..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dont know you guys all that well, well at all really. But i see this trend of humor and the camaraderie here and its awesome! Bust each other's chops, have a good time and learn some things. Where the heck have i been!
I know Amak's type all to well tho......keep all that wisdom to himself. HA! jk of course
You guys are great and i would love to run a line with any one of you. Glad to be here

Coyote -
Bobcat -
Fox -
Mink -
Muskrat -
Marten -
Fisher -
Grinners -
Stinkers -

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2012, 22:30 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

jase wrote:
Ambush wrote:
HAHAHAHA..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dont know you guys all that well, well at all really. But i see this trend of humor and the camaraderie here and its awesome! Bust each other's chops, have a good time and learn some things. Where the heck have i been!
I know Amak's type all to well tho......keep all that wisdom to himself. HA! jk of course
You guys are great and i would love to run a line with any one of you. Glad to be here

Well, okay, but I hope you like skinnin grinners! At least if you go with swamp, you'll at least catch a few coons :roll: ......
the coons won't be any bigger,,,,,, :twisted: but at least they do have rings on their tails instead of skin. :lol:

And by the way, it's OUR pleasure to have you here! :wink:

Yepper Ambush, I'll agree with Jase once again (I hope this doesn't become a habit), we are glad to have you and the other newer members on board with us here at WAT. The KING OF GRINNERS passed away a few months ago (redrooster) and he taught us all how to enjoy the art of GRINNERS! A person just needs to go back and look at all the costumes he'd have on some of those Grinners. :lol:

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2012, 07:11 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

there he goes again with the mb's. i still bet he here's the "cha ching" sound go off in his head........ :mrgreen: :mrgreen: